They hate going to preschool!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mama_of_5_, Mar 24, 2007.

1. mama_of_5_

mama_of_5_ New Member

Every morning when I try and get Kay and Cole ready for
    Pre-K they start bawlin' and tell me they don't want to
    go and wanna stay home. I get them there eventually but
    why don't they like going to Pre-K? And is there a good
    chance the trips will be the same way? [​IMG]

2. mama_of_5_

mama_of_5_ New Member

Can someone please explain why?

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Without knowing more of the specifics it is hard to guess what is making them upset.

How long have they been going (is it possible that they are still settling in)? Have they been like this ever since they started or is it a new thing?
    Have there been any changes at the preschool-like a new teacher, room change e.t.c? Or any significant changes at home? They may be having trouble adjusting to something.
    What does their teacher say about the situation? Are they happy at the end of the day/have you ever phoned the preschool to see how they are during the session? Many children will cry when their parent leaves and then be fine 5 mins later.

Have you tried asking them (at a time when they are not upset) why they don't like going? They may have a reason you never would have thought of. You could also try talking excitedly about preschool the night before-how they will see their friends, all the fun things they will get to do and how you can't wait to hear about it when you pick them up.

4. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

Are they okay once they are there? Do they have positive things to say about school once they get home? My boys complain (don't cry) about going. However, they join right in when they get there. Also, with a little probing into how their day was I can usually get a few things out of them and they seem excited when they are talking about them.

I think my boys aren't thrilled with the thought of being gone all day without mom or grandma but once they are there they seem to enjoy it.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm not ready for preschool yet, but maybe it's too long for them or they are just having a hard time separating from you and then once they get there they are fine......???

6. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

It is hard to say w/out more info like the PP asked. Felicia started preschool at 2.5 - two hours a a day, 2 days a week. She was reluctant to stay at first. And would cry for me to take her home. But the teachers said, a quick hug and leave and she would be fine. So I did that and peeked through the window where she could not see me. Sure enough w/in 5 minutes or less, she was done crying and playing with other kids.

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would definately talk to the teacher. Last year I literally had to chase Marcus down every day he had preschool. Even walking into the classroom, he would hide behind me, or make the teacher come and get him. Once I left, he was a star in the class!

This year he can't wait to go! They could just be testing to see if you will give in and not let them go--like testing their limits.