They're driving me CRAZY

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debid, Nov 13, 2007.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Several days ago, the boys discovered they could reach the water/ice dispenser on the refrigerator. They get cups and fill them and drink. Fine. But now it's a new game to push the lever with their hands and let the water splash them in the face. It's hilarious to dump a big cup into a bathroom Dixie cup and overflow it all over the floor. Every second I'm trying to get something done, they're into the water dispenser. It's not like the bathrooms where I can keep the doors locked all of the time so they can't get to the sink/toilet. There is no way to block access to the kitchen. :(

2. Rachel&Emily

Rachel&Emily Well-Known Member

Ours has a lock on it...but i'm sure it's only a matter of time before they figure that out, too.

It could always be worse...it could dispense KoolAid and not water...

3. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

Can you duct tape it shut? It's probably not convenient for you, but that's probably the easiest way to keep their hands off.

Alternatively, you can designate the entire kitchen as a "no child zone." Our kitchen can't be blocked off either, but I've made it a point to not allow them into the kitchen. Every time they try to go in, I tell them "no" and if they persist, they get a time out. I try to childproof as much as possible but the kitchen is one place where it's just too dangerous no matter how careful I am. Better safe than sorry.

The benefit to this idea is that you can hide things in the kitchen in the future.

4. BJAMs

BJAMs Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Rachel&Emily @ Nov 13 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]494417[/snapback]
    Ours has a lock on it...but i'm sure it's only a matter of time before they figure that out, too.

Ditto here but I know what it is like when I forget to lock it.

Get them a mop and have them clean the floor. :laughing:

Michelle

5. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

Our prepreschool teacher encourages water play. but she also encourages that they have to take part in cleaning up the mess. Is it ruining anything? Is it wasting too much water? Is there anyway you can block/tape/etc it off?

I'd give them limited access and then make sure they clean up their mess. Maybe the cleaning part will make it less interesting.

when our kids drop food on the floor we make them clean it up. the drop alot less food than they used to.