Thickening formula...how much rice did you use?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by hsuter, Feb 8, 2009.

1. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

Just wondering how much rice/oatmeal you use/used to thicken formula. We are currently using 1.5tsp per oz...I would like to try going down because my dd doesnt eat much and I am wondering if its because she is full more often with all the rice?

2. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Hsuter @ Feb 8 2009, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1181872[/snapback]
    Just wondering how much rice/oatmeal you use/used to thicken formula. We are currently using 1.5tsp per oz...I would like to try going down because my dd doesnt eat much and I am wondering if its because she is full more often with all the rice?

My pediatrician told me to use 1 tsp. per oz. Hope that helps!

3. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

for formula, we used Enfamil AR. For breast milk, my ped. told me to add 1tsp for 4 oz.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We started with 1 tsp per ounce per our Ped and we still had lots of vomiting. We went up to 2 tsp per ounce per the Ped GI and that made all the difference in the world in terms of spit-up. It did make the amount that he ate less than his brother.

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

We did 2tsp per oz, and they never were really big eaters. At that age, they were still eating 4-5oz.

6. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Our pedi says 1 tbsp per 3 oz. We make 100 mL bottles and add 1 tbsp to each. It worked for the reflux but her suck was not yet strong enough to get enough through the nipple.

7. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

We put 1 tablespoon per 2 oz and she doesn't eat nearly as much as her sister. We use Dr. Brown's bottles and had to get the #3 nipple so she could suck it out (her sister still uses #1). Good luck!