things to do during summer

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Jun 16, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

sometimes when its rainy or the baby is napping, i feel like all we do is color.

any other ideas on what to do this summer?
    - sidewalk chalk
    - color inside
    - popcorn/movie (lol)
    - zoo trips
    - beach trips
    - playground
    - play outside

what else?

2. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of input on this because I was in your same position last year with baby and twins and I kept feeling like I was in a rut!

Splash parks, berry picking at local you- pick farms, play dates, breakfast outside, take a big bucket with soapy water outside and have them wash dirty toys/trikes/booster seats, help them grow a flower/vegetable in a pot (e.g., daily watering, harvesting routine), picnics outside, play dough, sensory tubs ( can be hard with small parts and baby though), make cookies, have them help you make dinner (e.g., make their own little pizzas), make cookies/pictures/something thoughtful for a neighbor and deliver it, story times at library or local book shops, local kids concerts (there are weekly kids concerts in the summer in our city), games when baby is sleeping (I am amazed at what my 3 year olds can learn to play... Adapted go fish, memory....), dancing with home made instruments ( think pots and pans)..........

Then you can think of and research activities that develop age appropriate skills... Fine motor: learning to rip paper, use scissors, hold a pencil, thread colored pasta, stick pipe cleaners through a colander

Gross motor: use blue painters tape to make lines and shapes on floor for balance, hula hoops, hide and seek

Language: look at photos and talk about people and places in picture, make up stories, categorization tasks ( all green toys in a bucket, play on floor with them at eye level to develop symbolic and creative play

Preacademic: make a word of the day every day and put on fridge... Like today our word is brown.... And every time you see brown talk about how it is the special word, work on counting objects, reading to them or having them " read" to you

3. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

wow. that is an AMAZING LIST OF THINGS!
    i am so excited to start these things and these great ideas! THANK YOU! :grouphug:

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

U can check local libraries. They usually offer summer reading programs for kids (4-10 weeks).

Barnes and noble always offer art, reading hours on sat.
    Water parks (those free parks with water shooting up from the ground,.) are always kids fav

BBQ at the parks

Picnic at the parks: we usually take our bikes out. We ride then dinner. Also my kids love running. I got them running shoes (not those regular kids shoes). They run 1-2 miles, then pig and pass out later lol

And of course can't skip garden work. We planed veggies last yr and this yr. they have 2 small blocks next to the house. They planed cherry tomatoes, onion, herbs, peppers, beans,.. They water their plants everyday.

If you guys don't have children museum membership yet. I strongly suggest getting one. They can play for hours. The museums always have snack rooms. U can pack food as well. U will be surprised how much/fast they learn

Boucy house: u can search for one in your area. It's fun and good workout for little ones.

On the weekend: BBQ at the park then hiking are our fav activities. My little kids can walk for up to 4-5 miles. Hiking is good for the whole family

Send them to swimming class at your local gym.

Have fun!