Those carrying small 33 weeks & up

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Netty, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Netty

Netty Well-Known Member

I have gained a total of 35 pounds so far, although I don't have a huge belly like most twin pregnant mamas. I'm tall, WAS slim (pre-preg) so I'm basically all belly carrying forward. Lately I haven't had much of an appetite. I want to gain more so the babies will be born with healthy weights so I was wondering if anyone else who is also carrying small around this stage or had previously with twins doesn't/didn't have much of an appetite

Netty

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I am tall(5'10"), and people told me that I carried small...I begged to differ with them! Anyway, I didn't have much appetite at all towards the end, so to supplement, I drank 3 Ensure high protein shakes. Just try to make what you eat really count. :hug99: s, you are doing great, almost there!

3. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I am carrying very small as well. I am 33 weeks and although I do look like I may pop, I just don't look like there are two babies in there. I am 5-4 and have gained about 25 pounds thus far. I was around 125 pre-pregnancy. The weight is all in my belly and you cannot tell from the back that I am preggo. It worries me, particularly when I get a braxton hicks contraction and it all tightens up because it just looks so tiny in there. The babies measure fine though and no one seems concerened.

I find there are days/times when I am just starving and days when I am not hungry at all. I have never been very good at listening to my own hunger though and will pretty much eat just because it is time too. For example, my husband never wants dessert because he claims he is "not hungry" and I say what does hunger have to do with it? I am just not a meal or snack (or dessert :)) skipper so I have been fairly consistent with sticking to three meals and two snacks a day whether hungry or not - I swear this is what saved me from morning sickness in the beginning.

I say to make the most out of what you are eating. Be sure you are eating the right stuff when you do eat and you should be fine! Peanut butter packs a lot of punch and I try to be very aware of my protein intake as well.

Amy

4. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

As long as your growth scans/ u/s look fine for the babies' weight then don't worry about it. I was 120 pre-pg with the twins and only gained a total of 31 pounds... I carried about what a woman with a singleton looks at full term... but with my singleton, who was 8pounds, I only looked about 7 months pg when I delivered.... honestly I wasn't in maternity clothes with my singleton until I was six months pg... My torso is a little longer..but I really think the inside of my pelvis is so wide it just accomodates and "hides" more baby in there... My twins were 5'11 and 5'15 for weight..so I did have almost 12 pounds of baby in there, I think I did the math once and the way it looked was that I only gained about 4 pounds of my own fat...the rest was baby weight/fluids/breast/placenta etc.... and with my singleton I only gained about 1lb of my own fat... So it's quite possible to be on the lower end of weight gain and still pop out a healthy size baby. Just go by those u/s...if your docs are concerned about the babies not being large enough, then work a little more on the whole protein regimen...otherwise your worry will only contribute to adding to your own fat stores and not really the babies. Eat when you are hungry...and for the most part eat what you want... as long as it isn't too unhealthy... that's been my motto and I've been able to have good sized kids.

5. Netty

Netty Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies for the info, yes the babies are doing fine, I'm just wanting to pack on some more fat for them lil' ones before they decide to come out.

Becky, 3 protein shakes a day? Wow, I thought 1 was enough. I guess I should at least drink 2. I've been good with my eating habits....eating the right foods and all.

Susanna, if you don't mind me asking....when you had your twins, how many weeks were you? I think mine will be around the 5lb-6lb mark as well when I deliver.

Netty

6. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I was 37wks 5 days... incidentally my mom (who was huge with us) had my id. twin sister and I around the same gestation... and we were each just over 6lbs... So it kind of shows that some of this is genetic...and doesn't really matter whether you get huge or are smaller than average...if you have a good placenta and have gained a reasonable amount of weight then you are good to go! If you like the protein shakes then eat them...if you don't like them, then don't force yourself to eat them. I wouldn't worry about it too much!

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I was big, definitely not huge and gained only 30 pounds up to 35 weeks and another 13 in the last 3 weeks (mainly fluids, I had severe swelling). Overall, I gained weight slowly but was clearly pregnant. Babies turned out to be really big, even though I didn't gain a huge amount. I wasn't very hungry, ate pretty normally, nothing special ...