Those who took swimming lessons with their kids

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by b/gtwinmom07, Dec 13, 2008.

1. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

My DD is a fish! The whole summer we were in my mom's pool she just was so happy to be in the water and tried to swim on her own constantly. We haven't been in the pool for a while now but she loves to swim in the tub. She lays on her stomach, kicks her back feet and tries to put her face under the water.

Freaked me out of course but she is pretty good about not drinking the water too much. I was just wondering, what can I do to help her? Is there a way to teach her? The more I tell her to stop the more she does it. I would NEVER leave her or trust her to go under without me 2 inches from her of course. Just curious to see if I should be doing something.

2. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Sounds like she could use some more experience with pools. I would definitely take her for some toddler swimming lessons. She will probably take in some water there and it will scare her enough to be a little more careful around water. Have fun!

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would find a ISR program and introduce her to swimming with an instructor. They do survival training. You might really benefit from it!!!

4. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Dec 14 2008, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1110134[/snapback]
    I would find a ISR program and introduce her to swimming with an instructor. They do survival training. You might really benefit from it!!!

We did ISR and LOVED IT. At the age of 12mos both of mine could swim under water by themselves, flip themselves over to their back (where the air is), float there fore a bit and then flip back over and swim to the sides. They are little fishies and love every minute of it.

I have a great video of it that I would love to share if I could ever figure out how to share it through a link - I think it is too big.

Good luck!
    Amy

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We are an ISR family as well.

www.infantswimmingresource.com

A remarkable program and with living in FL probably a necessity.