Those with kids in school - Does the teacher/school ban certain foods?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tamaralynn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, one time last year I sent the twins to school with money for lunch (I can't remember why now). When they got home I asked them what they ate, one of them had a bag of Doritos. I remember thinking that this is the school that wants them to eat healthy, but they offer Doritos as a snack?? :umm:

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I would make sure and meantion the previous problems to the principal. I know you've had several in addition to this and the shoes

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

on that snack list that LJ posted I saw a lot of "nonfat" or "low fat" choices - what if the child is instructed to eat full fat choices like cheese, milk or yogurt for medical reasons - does the teacher walk around and check each package to see the nutritional content? or does the child have to provide a doctors note stating they are underweight and require these foods for growth?

ridiculous if you ask me...

4. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I totally agree. My children have always been under the chart or in the 5%. Pedi said from early on that (especially at this age preK and K) we should not limit their fat intake and give them whole milk, regular cheese and full fat yogurt. If a teacher took our stony field farm yogurt from our children or their cheese chunks I would have been livid. Talk about giving a child a complex about food.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I try to send a 'healthy' snack with them to snack. I was shocked to see a canister of potato chips in the classroom with a student. I think you should ask the teacher what was up.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's crazy. Let us know how the meeting goes.

As for Lj, that list was insane! My other beef with the low fat, etc items are that I won't buy them. It's one thing if it's a naturally occurring low fat item, like pretzels, but things that have been altered to become low fat, lite/light, etc, I won't do.

7. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am the same way,. I had to explain to my MIL not to buy the reduced fat peanut butter. It is more calorie then regular and more sugar.
    Last year the first half of the year I just made sure to send in something in a ziplok bag. Figured if it didn't have a label, they would be fine. I don't remember my girls ever talking about anyone's snack being taken away, so I'm not sure how strictly it it enforced.

Let us know how the meeting goes.

8. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

This.
    We got a note at the very beginning of the year telling us to pack healthy lunches. I never pack ANY sweets in their lunches. I used to be a teacher and even then, 5 years ago now, we didn't allow it.

For me, I'm happy about it! My kids get enough junk when they're NOT in school. This is one of those things where I really don't think you can argue with the fact that it is a good idea to avoid sending junk food in their lunches.

I think maybe the problem you are having Slipper, is that she kind of did it in a not soo cool way. I get that. Things like this should be made clear.

It's tricky cuz as parents, we feel like it's our choice. But, a rule is a rule and at least it's a positive one!! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Wow, I do feel encouraged that the schools are trying to help the kids, but the way this teacher handled this was really insensitive. She could have easily taken him aside quietly and explained the rules, and then had him put it in his school bag to eat on the way home.
    I do have to admit that I LOVE that the schools are giving suggestions and are trying to enforce healthy eating. I live in a country where they don't have great eating habits, and I have been constantly talking with my kids nursery about all the junk food that is sent in with kids - both for lunches, snacks, and at parties. They have finally sent home lists of appropriate foods now (similar to the list you have above) , and they will now take food away from kids (mostly fizzy drinks, chocolate or candy). But they do give it back at the end of the day for the child to eat at home. I honestly think the poor teachers were having such problems because when a child brings in such great treats and the others were eating fruit and vegetables it caused a lot of upset children, which the teachers had to deal with.

The most "treat" I send in with my kids is home made muffins (stuffed full of good stuff like veggies, flax seeds and whatever else I can find!), and my kids love the muffins. So, I do agree with her idea, but not at all the way she implemented it.

10. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with the rule. What I do have an issue with is the way it was handled and that I never got any letter clearly stating what is allowed and is not. I also have an issue with the fact that a rice crispy treat is considered "candy" but cookies and puddings are ok. That to me is a double standard.

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can tell you, from having eaten a rice-crispy treat for lunch today, that was definitely NOT candy. It was cereal and marshmallows. :popcorn:

/not helping!

2 people like this.
  12. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Our school has the healthy snack policy, but I don't think teachers are allowed to make their own.

It's the stupidest thing, honestly. Fruit loops are ok but pop tarts aren't. Really?

13. Tamaralynn

lol!

14. Tamaralynn

That's my point. If they are not allowed to have rice crispy treats, then it should be no puddings, cookies etc. I very rarely send him treats. His lunches 99.9% of the time have a bowl of fresh fruit, a yoghurt and some cheese for snack. He got a loot bag full of for good behaviour from her about a month ago. How is that ok if there is no candy in the class?

1 person likes this.
  15. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

these lists from schools are "RECOMMENDED" snack and beverage lists. The Teachers should not be tweaking or expanding on them especially when they are not mandatory. I can understand a Teacher removing a snack and asking that a child not open/eat it in class or the cafeteria if a note has gone home about a classmate with an allergy to this food.

Let us know how everything went after you meat with the Principle.

16. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

No way would I be happy about this. Protecting kids from allergies is one thing but managing what I choose to feed MY kids is not up to the school.

17. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

i would be on that teachers asz faster than she knew what hit her! I am all about sending my kids to school with healthy things to eat. But if I (the Parent) decide that my kids should take x or x then by god they will take x. and she will just have to get over her classroom policy.I would go see her tmrw and let her know while you appreciate her looking out for your sons well being. you are a very involved parent,and you don't need her help,so to please see her way out. and she doesn't need to check his lunch any more,that you his mother personally make his lunch. so you already know and approve what is in it,so it doesn't and won't be doubly approved! as for our school we just started a new one this year but at our last one they just asked that we send in healthy snacks. but didn't do anything if you didn't,or at least not to my kids. but the principal and their teachers knew I was involved. and probably knew if I got a note like that I would be all over them before the ink dryed. their new school their are several with peanut allergies. they haven't completely banned nuts as of yet,but the homeroom moms (me can't buy them for parties). the kids can bring a snack in dialy if they want. and they ask that you not send in any nut type snack(but haven't banned them as of yet). they have sent home lists of snacks that are ok to send that are not on the allergy list. they also ask that we limit the peanut/nut stuff in lunches. k still takes peanutbutter sandwhiches every now and again. but sits away from everyone. they ask that the treats we send on valentines be off the list as well. they don't have a healthy list that we have to abide by. but they do ask that the kids always eat helathy. they are always doing different health things to show them how to be healthy. but they would never do a note like that.

18. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would thank her for her concern and remind her that I am his mother and I do send healthy things but it will not hurt him to eat a treat every once in a while. I would continue to send whatever I felt fit to send him. If the school has this strict of a rule then they should forbid all lunches sent from home.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Here's a similar situation... only she took it to the news and her state rep. A friend just posted about this on FB and I immediately thought of this thread.

20. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

At our school they are NOT recommended, that is the requirement for snacks.

21. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

How are marshmallows not candy?

(not helping either!)

22. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I was just going to come add a link to this story. They made the kid eat chicken nuggets because the turkey and cheese sandwich and fruit weren't healthy enough. Ridiculous. :wacko:

1 person likes this.
  23. Tamaralynn

I saw it today! Completely ridiculous. I am meeting with the principal next week. I had to cancel the other meeting.

How are chicken nuggets better for you then what she was given for lunch? Seriously.......

24. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

A friend just posted on FB about how her daughter got sent to the principal and has to eat in the office for a week because she was told at lunch that she couldn't sit with her leg tucked under her, they had to both be on the floor. A little while later she forgot and got in big trouble.

Seriously??? That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. But it made me think of this thread.

25. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

I think the way she worded it would have really bothered me too. There's a nice way to say things, and she did not choose the nicest way. I have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader (in addition to my 3 year old twin) and I have been a public school teacher for 16 years. Whenever I talk to a parent or write a note I always try to put myself in the parent's shoes to think about how it will come across on the receiving end. I just thought the way she worded it sounded rude and condescending. Sounds like it was not the first time and I know I would feel like she was judging my parenting or something. Plus, I don't think a rice crispy treat is a candy either. Sometimes, I wonder what is going on with this country...we live in United States of America!! I know we all want the kids to be healthy, but whatever happened to a little freedom! It's just like that recent story about the girl whose school gave her the chicken nuggets because the lunch her mother packed her didn't meet the "standands!" Seriously? I slipped some Valentine's Day chocolate into my kids' lunches the other day...it's a miracle the food police didn't come to arrest me!!!

But anyway, even if the teacher has a policy or the school has a policy, the teacher can choose to be nice about it, and not snooty!

P.S. As an end of the year gift, you could give her a bag of carrot sticks and celery! ;)

Shannon

Shannon

26. Tamaralynn

I honestly think that schools are taking a little to much freedom when it concerns our kids. I feel like they are parenting them, and they should not be. Who CARES if her leg was underneath her? My oldest sits like that because he is too short to reach the table and I rather he sit like that then fall off a phone book!

27. Tamaralynn

Haha I should! I am tempted to make a have thing of rice crispy treats and send them in for all of the kids in his class. I was going to for Valentines but I ran out of time. Carrot and celery sticks what a good suggestions for end of yr present. haha Thanks!