Thought we were done with Form. Switching...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cec02c, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cec02c

cec02c Well-Known Member

Hey ladies (and Gents),
    Quick question... we suddenly find ourselves without WIC anymore. We were using Good Start green can. Well, its pretty expensive, and I noticed that the Parents Choice brand was almost half as much. It compares with Enfamil wich I have never used before.

I will be transitioning the LO's to milk around 11 months, so we just have to make it a few more weeks, but I bought a can of the cheap stuff today. I need to know what you all think?

Is Parents choice okay? does anyone use it? Should I switch cold turkey, or mix it in with their good start formula? I premix pitchers of formula at once, so this wouldn't be a hassle.

Please give me some advice on this one. They're 10 mo. old, so should I expect constipation issues? They transiioned to solids well, so is a formula switch this late in the game a big deal? Now I'm rambling so I'll just shut up...

2. lindynewman

lindynewman Member

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you can, I would probably mix the two half/half for a few days so the adjustment is a bit more gradual. Also, given their age, you might talk to your doctor, many will give the okay to switch to milk as early as 10 months if there are no issues with weight gain or dairy allergy. It's worth a try!

4. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

I use that brand. My LOs started out with reflux and my girl was thought to have a milk allergy at a month old. At 6 months we tried milk based formula (similac) and she was fine. Their reflux was under control. We stayed on similac for about 2 months, then at 8 months old I switched them to the parents choice. No problems. How I switched them is to start mixing them together like half similac/ half parents, did that for about 3 days then went to parents only. They were fine!

Hope that helps and hope it works for you (save that MONEY! lol)

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used the parent's choice, it was exactly the same! I couldn't find a generic for the Enfamil AR, but once they were off the AR I switched to parent's choice too.

6. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I used Target brand formula (can't remember what it's called, but same as Parent's choice) and my kids did just fine. I could appreciate the $10/can difference in price, especially going through 2 cans/week!

I don't remember what age I made the switch, but they were really young. I want to say 4-5 months. I also don't recall if I weaned them to the new stuff (they had been on Similac) or just started cold turkey. Either way they didn't have a problem with it.....

7. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We switched from Enfamil to Target brand, called Up and Up, cold turkey with zero problems.