Thoughts

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Tarin, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

So I pumped for 6 months for my boys and I couldn't thicken it enough for them and ended up donating over 500 ounces of breastmilk...Well my little twin has been diagnosed with failure to thrive (really has been since birth) and my thoughts are that he's not growing because he didn't get the breastmilk when he was an infant. Well now my best friend is nursing her son and has tons of milk.. I'm thinking of giving it to Grayson to see what will happen.. if it will help him grow at all or anything.. we also just learned that his airways are closed or something and the only way that will help is for him to grow.. Anyway I know this is a long rambling... but what are your thoughts on breastmilk at 2?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it cannot hurt. It's not the norm in the us, but if mine had failure to thrive and breastmilk from a friend you trust was an option, I'd go for it. You know your friend and whether she is at risk for diseases that are transmittable (HIV and hepatitis?) through breastmilk.

I'm sorry your boy has failure to thrive and you are going through this. :hug:

3. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I don't know what the medical implications would be, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. The tricky thing might be for him to actually drink it. Breastmilk has a very typical taste. Maybe he doesn't like it. I'd say give it a try if you trust your friend and she wants to donate her milk to you.

4. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

Well I know I won't be able to thicken it enough for him to drink it, would it lose it's nutrients if I added it to his regular milk? He drinks milk with rice cereal now. So I know that's not yummy!! And thanks for the replies!

5. SaraSatin

SaraSatin Well-Known Member

Why are you thickening it?

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

My question is the same as Sarah's. I'm missing something on why a two year old needs thickener, surely he's over his reflux? He must drink water right?
    There are lots of people in the world who nurse their kids over two years so of course it would be good for him.

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I breastfed my 2 until they were 28 months old. So my opinion on breast milk at two is that it is great. However, I am really freaky about the other peoples breast milk for my child thing I personally could not do it but If you don't have any issues with that ( and I have no basis for my freakiness, it is just that I am freaky about a lot of things LOL!) then go for it!!!

8. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, yeah go for it. And why do u wanna thicken it? If u want, ucan refridge it over night, next morning u just feed him the cream on the top. It's thick like yogurt.

9. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

He aspirates thin liquids. No he doesn't drink water. Everything he drinks is as thick as honey. I think I'm going to try it. Thanks for all the input and advice!

10. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

I would definitely do it. I actually give breastmilk to my neighbor for her two year old that is having issues. Ideas on making it where he could eat rather than thickening it is you can make homemade yogurt with breastmilk or ice cream.

11. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I nursed until well after 2. Now that I am nursing again, I have pumped and given it to 2 of my older kids when they were not feeling well and it went away immediately! I put a little bit of regular milk in it for the 7 year old and nothing for the 3 year old and they both drank it! Breastmilk is the best! I plan to keep some on hand as long as I can for when my kids may need it after they wean and in the case of pink eye! Just be sure like a PP said that your friend is healthy and that her diet is good and then do what is best for your little one!

12. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I think I would be more comfortable going through a bank just because like one poster said I am freaky like that lol but if you really trust her and your doctors all think this would be a good option go for it. We do what has to be done to keep our kids healthy. We had a battle with failure to thrive with my oldest and our ped put us on pedisure 3x a day to start on top of food and milk but she was a healthy 38weeker and was 3 when diagnosed. Good luck!

13. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

You could also add the breastmilk in mac n cheese, in french toast, anything that you cook for your child that calls for regular milk.
    Oatmeal would be great breakfast for him mixed with all breastmilk, no water.

Im all for breastmilk and wouldn't think twice about it being for a two year old. Take your friend up on the offer!

14. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

So I gave Grayson breastmilk today in his milk cup and he drank it with no issues!! The doctor also put him on creon because his pancreas isn't performing as it needs too.. so hopefully all of this will work! Thanks again ladies!