Three in car seats- what car do you drive??

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jmosery, Nov 24, 2006.

1. jmosery

jmosery Member

Hi

I am pregnant with twins and have an infant that will be in a convertible car seat.

Me and my DH obviously realize we need to get a new vehicle. What cars fit that many car seats, maybe have room for another passanger other than the two in front AND have room for a double stroller and maybe a single too.

I see minivans but with the third row, i don't understand how their is enough room for strollers and whatever else you need to lug

are we destined to drive two cars everywhere??

jaime

2. jmosery

jmosery Member

Hi

I am pregnant with twins and have an infant that will be in a convertible car seat.

Me and my DH obviously realize we need to get a new vehicle. What cars fit that many car seats, maybe have room for another passanger other than the two in front AND have room for a double stroller and maybe a single too.

I see minivans but with the third row, i don't understand how their is enough room for strollers and whatever else you need to lug

are we destined to drive two cars everywhere??

jaime

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

We have a Toyota Sienna mini, and we have 3 in carseats, plus 2 more children. I still have room in the back for the double stroller. [​IMG]

4. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I have three in carseats and we have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. We don't have the stow and go seats though, and I wish we did. We took out one of the middle captain chairs to make it super easy to get our boys in and out of the back row. We have the Valco Twin Runabout stroller with the toddler attachment, and it fits quite nicely in the back. We can still get groceries back there with the stroller if we need to.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also have a Toyota Sienna. My twins are in the front 2 bucket seats and my oldest is in the third row in a booster. There is plenty of room in the back even with the third row. There is a deep well in the back and the third row folds down easily. We have a double stroller back there and there is still room for other things.

Sounds like you'll either have to look into a minivan or a larger SUV. We chose the minivan because some of the SUVs are too big and we wanted there to be room in the back and easy access to the third row, which the Sienna has.

6. bren1130

bren1130 Well-Known Member

I currently drive a hyundai santa fe, but realize that when i need get bigger carseats i may need a bigger car. But we'll see. Maybe they'll come up with a more compact carseat before then. You can check out the seating arrangement:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/bjethorn/DSCF0505.jpg

There is room for the graco duo glider and an umbrella stroller in the rear, plus groceries when i go shopping.

7. clhsieh

clhsieh Well-Known Member

We have a Honda Pilot. All 3 kids are in the 2nd row... for now. They may not fit when they're all in convertible car seats.

8. OctoberBabies

OctoberBabies Well-Known Member

I have a Toyota Sequoia for my twins and their brother whos in a booster. They all fit across the middle row seat. I fold the third row down for the double stroller, groceries and whatever else I need to put back there. I have lots of room.

9. Christine100700

Christine100700 Well-Known Member

We have three car seats in the Jeep Grand Cherokee...eventually we'd like to move to a Hyundai Entourage mini Van but not until we can't sqeeze the little ones into the Jeep...

10. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

We have the same situation, and we had to switch out both our cars. My husband got a Chevy Avalanche, which has plenty of room in the back seat for three car seats... but I think it's awkward for me to get them all in just because you have to step up into the cab and reach over one to the other. The good thing is there is definitely tons of room in the covered bed for double stroller and plenty more. We have ridden in it with my MIL, and I sat in the middle in the front, but I would NOT describe that as a comfortable spot!!!

I have a Dodge Caravan. We put daughter in booster in the back (you HAVE to check LATCH locations... some vehicles that will have the seats for everyone will not have LATCH for everyone.) Anyway, the two baby carseats go in the captain's chairs in the middle row. I would not describe that as all that comfortable for getting kids in and out, but I'm not sure there IS an easy choice. It does have a built-in DVD player that my older child can watch since she faces forward, which is very nice. I can get the double stroller in the back, but pretty much anything else except a diaper bag or a couple grocery bags have to go in the car somewhere.

11. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by threebecamefive:
    I have three in carseats and we have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. We don't have the stow and go seats though, and I wish we did. We took out one of the middle captain chairs to make it super easy to get our boys in and out of the back row. We have the Valco Twin Runabout stroller with the toddler attachment, and it fits quite nicely in the back. We can still get groceries back there with the stroller if we need to.

Is there LATCH in the two backseats in the Caravan? I thought it didn't have one... it would be a ton easier to maneuver with one of the captain's chairs out...

12. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan (that I absolutely LOVE!) and you can fit 3 carseats with room to spare AND the stroller etc, etc, will all fit in the back too. [​IMG]