Thumb Sucking

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by christie76, Mar 29, 2010.

1. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Any advice on how to stop a thumbsucker from sucking their thumb? Abby has become addicted. She sucks it with her lovey normally, so she is also addicted to that. We usually only let her have her lovey in the crib, unless she is sick. I've noticed she'll suck her thumb without her lovey now and all throughout the day. I would really love to break her of this habit before it does any damage to her teeth, but I have no idea how to do it. It seems impossible.

2. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I have one about the same age, who I want to wean from the thumb. I was really hoping he'd stop before the age of 2, but he's still doing it.

I have seen a product that they can wear over their thumb: My link.

I have no idea if it works, and it seems to be marketed toward older children. I also thought it was very pricey.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i don't have any good ideas yet - and both of mine suck their thumbs. urg. i'm hoping that as they get a bit older, we can make some sort of only-suck-your-thumb-when-you're-in-your-crib rule or something, and then go from there. :unknw:

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I have one thumb sucker but he only does it when he's sleeping.

My other son for the longest time would put everything and anything in his mouth to self soothe. One day I noticed his speech therapist had this in her bag. She said it was very good for oral stimulation.

I ordered two, one for each of my boys and they love them.

If I see Josh trying to chew on something, I offer him his chewy instead.

It's also great for teething esp. those pesky molars.

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Judy, I think the link is a little screwy, which item are you talking about?

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what we're going to do with Jack; he's an inveterate thumb-sucker. It's worse when he's tired or stressed, but he will sometimes walk around the house with his thumb in his mouth. :pardon: I think if he's still doing it when he's older, we may try the "only babies suck their thumbs" route. I've had some friends say that this worked for them.

7. bdhtwins

bdhtwins Active Member

Does she sleep well? In the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Twins they discuss that over tired babies/toddler will suck their thumbs. My niece sucked her thumb and my sister worked on her sleep and nap schedule and now she doesn't suck her thumb.

8. cjk2002

Sorry about that, here is another link. They are called chewy tubes

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son sucked his thumb until about 1st grade. It wasn't until i got Control-It that he stopped...and we also limited thumb-sucking to his room which helped a great deal. I highly recommend Control-It..it's all natural and very bitter and really deterred him from sticking it in his mouth.

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's awesome; it's like a Kong for children! :laughing: I wish I'd had some of these when the boys were doing their worst teething. Nate's crib looks like a beaver has been at it. I wonder if they would curb Jack's thumb sucking? :unknw:

11. cjk2002

12. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Control-it sounds like something we can use down the road. She's been sick the last few days, which isn't helping. She's had her lovey all day, which encourages the thumb sucking. Oh well. Glad to know I'm not the only one going through this.