tips on teaching with infants

Discussion in 'General' started by slr814, Aug 4, 2009.

1. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I need some scheduling ideas for those who have homeschooled with infants in the house. I am not really sure how I'm going to juggle things this year; and am hoping they wont be as bad as they were this winter and spring. For those of you who have BTDT, when did you find the time to teach? I will probably work around their nap schedule, but that doesn't leave much time for anything else.

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

At that age, I really think working around naptimes are probably your best bet. Do they take one longer nap during the day? That would be the one I used for schooling during. Then you are free to do whatever else you need during the other shorter naps.

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

There are plenty of activities that can be done with babies around, reading, practicing verbal math facts, verbal spelling, listening to or watching educational CDs/DVDs. And once she knows the routine of things, lots can be assigned to her while you're dealing with babies... worksheets, handwriting, reading practice, copy work. Then use the naps for hands-on stuff like teaching those routines, science activities, explaining new math concepts, etc. I know one mom who regularly held school in her bathroom, while her toddlers played in the tub (though your babies are obviously a little young for that). Having your daughter read to a baby is good for reading practice and can give you a bit of 1 on 1 time with the other baby.

4. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

I'm going to jump in and try this this year, too. I just ordered my first curriculum for preschool, and while I'm really excited, I know it's going to be really challenging because Bubby (DS) is really quite inquisitive and exploratory, and it gets him into constant trouble. I'm going to aim to start our day during his morning nap, and then save the stuff I can do while he's in the room for after the morning nap, but we'll see. It's really going to take a lot of ironing out.

5. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

I am sure that teaching infants requires patience and creativity to keep them engaged and learning. Incorporating fun and interactive methods can make a huge difference. For instance, looking at ABCya reviews , there are many educational games and activities that can be highly beneficial for young learners. It's always exciting to find new ways to stimulate their growing minds through playful learning.