Today's Bible verse..for those who did not vote for Obama.

Discussion in 'General' started by a1cbrandy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Today's Bible verse said:

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Romans 13:1 NIV

There is an "explain this verse" along with it, for those of us that don't completely get what the verse is saying. So, I thought, it would be interesting to see how someone else interpreted this verse. Here it is:

Believers are to be model citizens, known as law abiding not rabble-rousing, obedient rather than rebellious, respectful of government rather than demeaning of it. We must speak against sin, against injustice, against immorality and ungodliness with fearless dedication, but we must do it within the framework of civil law and with respect for civil authorities.

MacArthur, J. (1996, c1991, c1994). Romans (216). Chicago: Moody Press.

I found this very interesting considering we as a country elected a new President, which is also a historical event.

Regardless of what I think of this new President - elect, Barrack Obama, he deserves my respect. I prayed for God's will regarding this election, and since God is all knowing, who am I to disagree with Him. I'm not happy with the decision, but I will have to at least give this man a chance to prove himself.

God is ALWAYS in control, and there is a reason that He allowed Mr. Obama to become President. Maybe, just maybe, it was to change his heart.

The unknown is always scary so in the meantime, I am going to continue to pray for our country and for God's Peace for those of us that have issues with Mr. Obama.

May God richly Bless you all

2. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I wonder if God allowed Mr. Obama to be President to change the hearts of those that have issues with him?

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ThreeLittleSnowflakes @ Nov 5 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1057831[/snapback]
    I wonder if God allowed Mr. Obama to be President to change the hearts of those that have issues with him?

Ditto.

4. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Thank you, Brandy. I agree that we need to respect the people God put in authority over us. This doesn't mean we don't still fight for what God has laid on our hearts, but we do so in a law-abiding, respectful way.

5. blessedbyboys

blessedbyboys Well-Known Member

Thank you Brandy, God also uses all people evil and good to bring His perfect will for this earth. I think this election will bring revival in the church that has been prophesied in Daniel and Revelations. God bless and have mercy on America

6. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Nov 5 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1057754[/snapback]
    God is ALWAYS in control, and there is a reason that He allowed Mr. Obama to become President. Maybe, just maybe, it was to change his heart.
    Or perhaps God allowed Obama to be president to change the hearts of people in this country? Sorry, just food for thought.

ETA: I should read responses prior before I post.

It's a brand new day! :D And I could not be prouder to be an American today! United we stand.

7. a1cbrandy

The things that I have had a problem with Mr. Obama are against Gods teaching...so I doubt God would make US open our hearts or mind up to sin. This post was to make those of us who did not vote..but are still Proud Americans..deal with the choice at hand. Nothing else...

Brandy

8. stumpstress

stumpstress Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Nov 5 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1058073[/snapback]
    Or perhaps God allowed Obama to be president to change the hearts of people in this country? Sorry, just food for thought.

I too, immediately thought the same thing. I also immediately thought about the verse which says that we should not try to take the spec out of anothers eye before removing the plank in our own. One may think they know God's will, one may think they know another's heart, by no one does. Perhaps Obama was elected not to fulfill the prophecy of Armageddon, but to bring great and wonderful things to our country.

JMO.
    -penny

9. Mama_Kim

I know, Brandy, and I admire your attempt at cohesion and supporting Barack Obama. Honestly I do. It just jumped out at me that perhaps God's reasons for allowing Obama to become our president have more to do with changing America's hearts about certain issues, rather than his own individual issues. After all, we are all sinners and all could use a change of heart about something. I didn't mean to trample on your post. It was honestly a nice thing to do and the right thing to do, imo. So thank you. I mean that.

ETA: Penny, beautifully written!

10. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(stumpstress @ Nov 5 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1058166[/snapback]
    I too, immediately thought the same thing. I also immediately thought about the verse which says that we should not try to take the spec out of anothers eye before removing the plank in our own. One may think they know God's will, one may think they know another's heart, by no one does. Perhaps Obama was elected not to fulfill the prophecy of Armageddon, but to bring great and wonderful things to our country.

JMO.
    -penny

I pray you right....but a part of me also prays we will see Jesus soon. I am trying to embrace this man as President..and I will pray for the strength and support to do so. But there are so many things he has said that I just can't get past..that would not make God happy. Again I hope you are right..and I am proven wrong.

Brandy

11. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

Obama is known to be a church going man so from that standpoint why can't the conservatives support him? I don't get it.

12. blessedbyboys

blessedbyboys Well-Known Member

As a conversative I can't support a man that for 20 years attended a church that had a radical racist preacher and a man that supports things(abortion for one) that as a Christian I can not support. You either believe what God says in the bible or you don't...

13. Mama_Kim

I am a Christian (Lutheran), one who is pro-choice. I fully support Obama as our president. Furthermore, I do not believe the federal government has any business ruling on things such as abortion. (My humble opinion.) I believe you can be a Christian, a Democrat, pro-choice, and an Obama supporter, and not have any conflict of interest. I know I am not the only Christian here who feels this way. Since this forum is not for debate, I'll just leave it at that.

Regardless of if a person voted for him or not, as Brandy has shown with her original post, we need to respect his authority as our president when he takes office. I applaud Brandy for realizing this and using her faith to try and make sense of what I am almost certain she is questioning in her mind. I would hope I would be doing the same thing if McCain had won.

14. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Brandy, thank you for posting this. I feel the exact same way. I don't agree with a lot of what Obama stands for because it doesn't mesh with what the Bible says, even if he does go to church. However, b/c the Bible does state that we have to pray, respect, and obey those in authority over us, I will do my best to follow that. So, thank you Brandy for the reminder, I appreciate it. I will more than definitely be more diligent at praying for God's strength to obey Him in this area. Thankfully He won't let me down in helping me to do it! Again, thank you!

15. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I wonder if God allowed Obama to be President partly to show some people that He is not exclusive to them alone?

16. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Regardless of if a person voted for him or not, as Brandy has shown with her original post, we need to respect his authority as our president when he takes office. I applaud Brandy for realizing this and using her faith to try and make sense of what I am almost certain she is questioning in her mind. I would hope I would be doing the same thing if McCain had won.

Thank you Kim, for thanking Brandy much better than I could. I have tried to write out what to say and couldn't seem to get it right.

Brandy, you seem to have taken the correct approach to reconciling your beliefs and disagreements with Obama's stands on issues. I give you credit for being able to do it yourself, and for taking it public and open to taking shots at you because of it.

17. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(angelsmom2001 @ Nov 6 2008, 07:16 AM) [snapback]1058710[/snapback]
    Thank you Kim, for thanking Brandy much better than I could. I have tried to write out what to say and couldn't seem to get it right.

Brandy, you seem to have taken the correct approach to reconciling your beliefs and disagreements with Obama's stands on issues. I give you credit for being able to do it yourself, and for taking it public and open to taking shots at you because of it.

Molly, I thank you for thanking me for thanking Brandy. ;) (Sorry, I just had to say it!) I believe Brandy has taken the correct approach here and it can't have been an easy one since I know how she feels about President-Elect Obama. And truly she is correct. We do need to get behind him, and respect him, and pray for wisdom and discernment for him. He's got a tough job ahead of him and as he also said, he needs us to help him in getting this country back on track. A daunting task!

18. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Thanks Brandy for this post. I also have been taking the time to meditate on that verse. Though I did vote for McCain, I did spend many hours in prayer asking God to give wisdom and guidance to whomever is placed in office. I will stand behind my new President and respect him. I will give him the respect he deserves. I must practice what I preach, and if I truly believe that God is in control, than I will accept his sovereignty.

19. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blessedbyboys @ Nov 5 2008, 09:13 PM) [snapback]1057967[/snapback]
    Thank you Brandy, God also uses all people evil and good to bring His perfect will for this earth. I think this election will bring revival in the church that has been prophesied in Daniel and Revelations. God bless and have mercy on America

:eek: I am assuming that you are saying God is using evil (i.e. Barack Obama) in this case to bring about the revivial?

20. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

So is God responsible for putting Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc, in power? Should people in their times have just respected their authority, because if they have authority, it must be God's will?

21. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Nov 6 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]1059744[/snapback]
    So is God responsible for putting Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc, in power? Should people in their times have just respected their authority, because if they have authority, it must be God's will?

Very good point.

22. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

23. Mama_Kim

Hey guys, as a mod in here, I am asking very nicely that we not be argumentative or debate this post in here (not saying anyone is, but I can see where it can head in that direction). Holly, it is an honest question, maybe one you could bring up in the Corn if you wish to discuss it further?

Brandy made a valiant attempt to support our new President-Elect by making this post, and is rallying other Christians who did not vote for him to support him now also, and I know this wasn't easy for her. If you want to argue the point or discuss the issue, please take it to the Corn or a PM. I probably should not have made a few of my own responses in here either. This is not a forum for debate.

Sorry to put a damper on things, but the rules are the rules. (Hey, that reminds me of when Craig was little. He'd always tell me, "I know da wools!" which was really funny because he was usually the one breaking them! :lol: )

Thank you, The Management :D

24. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

I would really love to discuss that in the Corn, but I dont think that the poster I quoted is a member there so would'nt that be talking about another member? And she wouldnt be able to come and discuss herself. So I guess I will leave it at that. Wools are wools ;)

25. Mama_Kim

I don't know, Jenni, but you could just start a topic about the subject without referencing a particular post, if you want. Or leave it lie. Whichever you prefer. But I do appreciate you asking and respecting the "wools!" :D

26. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Sorry! It's easy to get stuck in Corn mode. Thanks for the reminder of the wools. ;)

And I should add that I do admire Brandy for accepting Obama's victory gracefully. Brandy, I know you're not his #1 fan by a long shot - if more people were willing to accept stuff like this, the country might not be so bitterly divided.

27. Mama_Kim

Heh - stuck in Corn mode - happens to me all the time! :lol: And yes, every now and then a reminder of the wools is necessary. Even for me as the co-mod in here. Spit happens. ;)

And I should add that I do admire Brandy for accepting Obama's victory gracefully. Brandy, I know you're not his #1 fan by a long shot - if more people were willing to accept stuff like this, the country might not be so bitterly divided.
    I completely agree! I was listening to Hallerin Hill's radio show this morning after dropping B&C off at school. A very conservative McCain fan had called in and had said much the same thing as Brandy. He did not vote for Obama but he said he was going to support him and give him a fair chance. There was more to it, but the general gist was he's our president-elect and we must all now get behind him and support him and help him help us. I admire that attitude very much. So :drinks: to Brandy and all those conservatives out there who are stepping up to support our new president-elect! :D

28. Roxygirl1488

Roxygirl1488 Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Nov 6 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]1059744[/snapback]

Yea I agree I dont think God is responsible for electing Obama I think we are.

29. Roxygirl1488

Roxygirl1488 Member

I was going to vote for him but I couldnt bring myself to vote for someone who believes in partial birth abortion and putting no restrictions on it what so ever. I am not going to judge him and his personal relationship with Jesus I can only judge mine, and personally for me, I dont think I could have a clear conscience electing him into office.

30. a1cbrandy

I am remembering this today!! Thank you God for being bigger then our nation. :)

Brandy

31. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Nov 5 2008, 12:02 PM) [snapback]1057754[/snapback]
    Today's Bible verse said:

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Romans 13:1 NIV

I found this very interesting considering we as a country elected a new President, which is also a historical event.

Regardless of what I think of this new President - elect, Barrack Obama, he deserves my respect. I prayed for God's will regarding this election, and since God is all knowing, who am I to disagree with Him. I'm not happy with the decision, but I will have to at least give this man a chance to prove himself.

The unknown is always scary so in the meantime, I am going to continue to pray for our country and for God's Peace for those of us that have issues with Mr. Obama.

May God richly Bless you all

Great verse!