Today's Dr. Visit/Table Foods

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by orangeyaglad, Aug 19, 2009.

1. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I guess this is a two part topic. The girls had their wellness check-up today and got their six month shots. It went well! :yahoo: Isabelle is 15lbs 13oz, 26 inches and Aurielle is 15lbs 9oz, 26.5 inches. They took their shots well, only cried for a minute and pretty much fell asleep not too longer after.

I had a boat load of questions for the doctor since we won't see her for another three months. I asked about starting yogurt, table foods. She said that they didn't need the yogurt because they get enough calcium from their formula. I'm thinking to myself, but yogurt is protein as well. Isn't that as important in their diet? She said no yogurt or table foods for a year. I think she is nice, but she is a resident and I'm not sure she knows much of anything. Last visit she said izzi wouldn't need a helmet for her plagiocephaly until after a 1 year. My husband and I actually had to correct her and tell her that waiting until a year for her helmet would be too late as her head is not pliable like it was when she was 5 months. Izzi's neurologist nearly had a cow when I told him that the pedi wanted to wait that long.

Anyway, I was baffled as to why she said lets wait until a year for table foods. Then she goes on to say (after she saw the look I gave her) lets wait until they have teeth. Does it matter if they have teeth? I thought it was important that they learn different textures and learn how to feed themselves. Am I totally wrong and over thinking this?

Can anyone offer some insight on table foods? When do you start? What do you give them? When did you start yogurt? I really want to give them yogurt because I think it's important they get more protein and more calories. I think they can stand to gain some weight. Even though they are in the 50th percentile for weight I still don't think they eat enough.

TIA for any help! :lol:

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Okay, first, :woo: for the great weights & easy shots! Sounds like they are doing just great!

Second, I started yogurt earlier than a year but probably not as early as 6 months. Their formula has all the nutrients they need for the first year including lots of protein. But I don't really see the point in waiting until a full year for yogurt.

Third, maybe by table foods, she actually meant real table foods, as in the same as you are eating for dinner? My two weren't eating full on table food until around a year. Baby cereal & baby food starting at 6 months, working up to finger foods (small pieces of fruit, cheese, etc.), then, eventually table food. And, no, they absolutely don't need teeth to enjoy most foods. The first teeth they get are the front ones, which aren't actually used for chewing anyway, just for biting off pieces of food. Their little gums are hard as rocks & are all they need for chewing until their molars finally come in much later.

If you don't have confidence in your pedi, I would look at changing. You have to be able to trust your doctor when it comes to your kids!

1 person likes this.
  3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I wonder how she is defining table foods? There are some disagreements, about when to start various foods. The current recommendations suggest started pureed solid foods at 6 months, but many people start earlier. However, by table foods she may mean things that require chewing.

I know most people don't start giving table foods (the foods that require chewing) until 9 months or later. I gave yogurt around 9 months. The problem with starting yogurt early could be related to potential dairy allergies and constipation; my boys seem to do well with dairy, but a lot of babies don't. Plus, I've heard the earlier they start cow milk based products the greater their likelihood of developing dairy allergies down the road.

I did start giving the boys Gerber Puffs, which dissolve in their mouths at 7 months, so they could practice their hand eye coordination. However, those are very easy to chew since they dissolve

But, teeth or not, most babies lack the coordination to chew most foods until the last few months of the first year.

4. orangeyaglad

Well, the girls get two meals a day. They share a jar of stage 2 fruit in the morning and a veggie for lunch. Also, they get water(once a week diluted juice) and a biscuit for a snack. I wasn't going to start a third meal for a month or unless they seem more hungry and need more.

When I asked her table foods I meant things like yogurt, cheese, meats and she said a year for those or until they had teeth. They both have milk allergies and have had them since birth, so everything would have to be soy. At 8 months, would they be able to eat things like tofu and meats? Or when they say babies can have meats they mean the baby food meats? I'm so lost...lol

I wish I could change doctors, but they are all residents there since we go to a clinic (on state care). All the residents there are pretty conservative about when/what foods to feed babies. I think I'm going to have to take my mothers advice on this one and do what I think is best for them.

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Just my personal opinion--I think probably around 8 or 9 months you could give the baby food meat. One way you can tell if they are ready is to just let them chew, but you might get a lot of gagging or choking if they are too young.

If I were you I'd wait a little longer, and try puffs first. This is my theory, which is completely unscientific :) : If they can pick up the food put it in their mouths and chew it and swallow without excessive gagging/choking, they are ready. If you have to pick it up and feed it to them because they aren't coordinated enough to pick it up, then they aren't ready.

6. orangeyaglad

oh they pick up food and put it in their mouths. they eat baby mum mums, which are kinda like puffs only shaped differently. I guess I meant to say finger foods and not table foods. I, for some reason, thought they were the same thing (i'm really clueless about this mom stuff).

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Tina (I do that a lot don't I tina! :p )

I honestly don't remember when I started yogurt, I was just thinking about this the other day, but I'm sure it was a bit later than 6 months, maybe around 8-9 months with my older 2.

As for table foods, there is no reason you can't skip baby food altogether and go straight to "real" food. None, nada, zip! As long as it's prepared appropriately (the less salt, butter and additives the better for them), they can be eating the same meals that you are preparing for yourself. Just be sure to do the 3-5 day rule of only introducing one item at a time and watching for reactions to it.

If by table foods you mean bits and pieces, those are strictly on a baby by baby basis. If your little ones can pick up a piece of macaroni and get it in their mouth, mash it up with those gums (teeth are over-rated at this point and only for decoration), and swallow without choking, then they are ready for table foods. If they gag and choke on it, they aren't quite ready yet! :) You really do just have to watch your babies cues.

I'm sorry you can't get a different ped, because that one really doesn't sound like they know what they are talking about. I agree with your mom, use that mommy instinct, talk to other parents (here or other friends), talk to other family and decide for yourself what's right for your babes!

Just be sure formula or breastmilk stays their main nutrition source until close to a year. You can add solids in for fun, but they still need about 24 + oz of formula a day! :D

8. orangeyaglad

Thanks Danielle! They drink about 28oz of formula a day. They just dropped their 5th bottle and 3rd nap (yay for me! LOL). I was just wondering about finger foods because they are really good at picking up small things and they have done really well with their teething biscuits when they are in smaller pieces. I probably won't start them on finger foods for another month or so, but I wanted to make sure that 8-9 months was the general consensus because one year sounded way too long to me.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids were definitely all eating lots of finger foods well before a year!

10. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

Our pedi is pretty laid-back about all this stuff. She has twins, too. Her twins are about 2 now.

Anyway, those are great weights and it really sounds like you're doing very well with your LOs!

Our pedi recommended 6 months for regular baby food and cereals, but we started just under 5 months, with our pedi's permission, because the boys seemed ready. They were very ready - they were taking the spoons from me and actually getting the food in their own mouths by 6 months.

Our pedi also recommended approximately 8-9 months for finger/table foods. She said that if they show interest, have a good pincer grasp, and don't gag, then it's okay. My W met all the criteria at about 6 months and was able to handle Puffs and little bits of wheat bread very well. R was about 8 months when he met the criteria. Our pedi said that Puffs are a very good way to start since they melt very quickly in the mouth.

Babies have really hard gums and can chew/gum foods pretty well.

At our 9 month appointment we were given some standard papers on feeding the boys and we were pretty much given the full go-ahead for yogurts and meats.

W & R now do really well with table foods and yogurt. It can be nerve-wracking at first and we had a few gagging/choking scares, but we use them as learning experiences.

This site seems to have pretty good feeding information:
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/food/infants/feed812m.html

Good luck with what you decide to do. Are you considering switching doctors?