Today's ultrasound

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by k2daho, Oct 28, 2009.

1. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

So I had my peri appointment today with an ultrasound...and the best best news is that at 33 weeks my daughter is weighing 5 lbs 6 oz and my son is 5 lbs 5 oz!!!

Here I had fingers crossed for hitting the five pound mark and they've blown right past it. So happy that they are thriving and growing into chubby little newborns.

Now what has me slightly worried is that the peri said that baby A has slightly low amniotic fluid. He said not to freak out and that it wasn't an urgent concern, but that my OB should be doing an u/s once a week now to check as well as the two NSTs a week. Has anyone else had this? I'm so worried that it will get worse and that I'll have to deliver early or that something will happen to him (baby A). I am just imagining him in there with not enough fluid to keep him off of his cord or something. I am sure that I'm overdoing it in my imagination, but I'd love to hear some reassuring low fluid tales, or at least realistic ones about what happened if you had low fluid :)

2. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

No advice, but wanted to say Congrats on your babies weights!!

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:yahoo: I'm glad the babies are doing so well!!!

I'm sorry you have to worry about the amniotic fluid. :hug: I think if your peri doesn't think it's urgent you try and not worry to much, it will only make you upset. :hug: I don't have experience but between the NST's and your weekly u/s, I think you will be just fine.

4. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

With my son, I had the exact same thing. It was nothing. I just went for NSTs and they took a look at him and measured fluid. What they told me was if all of the sudden the fluid starting to get really low, they may have to take him pretty quickly. But I went completely full term with him. No complications at all.

5. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

I think it's something you can help with by staying hydrated. Drink up, momma! And congrats on those great weights.

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on such healthy babies!!:) No advice but I thought I heard resting and lots of water can help with amniotic fluid!

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Everything was just fine for us, babies growing and happy UNTIL 29 weeks. At 29 weeks it was discovered that my baby A (Addison) not only had a low fluid level but had not grown since our last appointment AND was very lethargic. At that point I was put on bedrest, told to drink and eat a lot, and had to go to the doctor twice a week until they were delivered. They had to use the buzzer to wake her up at each visit. It was scary for me - They told me to be prepared to be sent to the hospital at each visit. No one thought we would make it to our scheduled c-section which was scheduled for 38weeks and 4days (the 4 days because of the new years holiday)
    We did! funny thing is that when they were born, Addison weighed more than her sister - 1 ounce but it still counts! Her fluid level never improved but it never got worse - if it had they would have taken them. They will be 3 :shok: January 3!!

8. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Wow, those are great weights! My Sabrina was only 5#3 at 38 weeks!

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

At 31 weeks they thought that my twin A had low fluid. They monitored me more frequently after that and nothing else was said. He was fine. They did assure me that it was a huge milestone they had just passed. :hug: You're almost there!

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Are they mono di twins? If they are, the fluid level IS a very real concern. If not, I wouldn't worry too much but I'd still worry. Fluid levels mean TONS. Don't take it lightly, please.

Also, I hate to say it, but US measurements are notorious for being around a lb off. Great weights tho, regardless!!

11. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I've decided to focus my energy on hoping that it was just an measurement error or a one time thing and that his fluid will be back to normal by the next u/s.

My twins are fraternal di/di, a boy and a girl so the fluid levels don't seem to be ringing any huge alarm bells thank goodness.

And it sure is good to know that at 33 and a bit weeks they have a GREAT chance of doing just fine if they did need to come out early, and we also had the Betamethasone shots last week "just in case" so they have an even better jump start :)

But like I said...keeping my thoughts positive that things are just fine and that we'll continue to sail through to 38 weeks!