Toddler & now twins ... how to keep my sanity ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sofiesmom, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My twins are a little over 2 weeks old. They're pretty mellow and feed every 3-4 hours. Their days and nights are still a little mixed up (they sleep all day but are quite awake during the evening and we sometimes have trouble getting them back down after a feeding). My parents are here now and they basically take care of my dd when she wakes up at 7 am in the morning (she goes down at 7 pm). But my parents are leaving on Friday and my dh can't be home until 6.30 pm (he leaves 6.30 am) and I am wondering how I am going to deal with the 3 of them, especially in the morning (getting everybody ready) and in the evening (getting them ready for bed, especially my dd). I want to try to keep going to my playgroups and other activities to keep a certain routine going.

Any tips / suggestions on how to keep my sanity during these times?

2. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My twins are a little over 2 weeks old. They're pretty mellow and feed every 3-4 hours. Their days and nights are still a little mixed up (they sleep all day but are quite awake during the evening and we sometimes have trouble getting them back down after a feeding). My parents are here now and they basically take care of my dd when she wakes up at 7 am in the morning (she goes down at 7 pm). But my parents are leaving on Friday and my dh can't be home until 6.30 pm (he leaves 6.30 am) and I am wondering how I am going to deal with the 3 of them, especially in the morning (getting everybody ready) and in the evening (getting them ready for bed, especially my dd). I want to try to keep going to my playgroups and other activities to keep a certain routine going.

Any tips / suggestions on how to keep my sanity during these times?

3. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

If you want tokeep active in playgroups and activites - go for it! I found it very hard to get out of the house with all 3 kids. We'd go to Bible study on Wednesday mornings but that was about it. It was so much easier to stay home and keep everyone on a schedule. But that is me! We get out a lot more today but I try not to scedule activites where there is a certain start time and stop time....those are nearly impossible to make. If it is a more flexible activity like going to the Nature Center, we can do it...since we get there when we can and leave when we want. Best of luck to you...those were HARD Days! Today it is so much easier and joyful! Keep in touch on TS.

4. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

I think that keeping your toddler busy is the key to sanity! If we don't go out(to playgroup, pre-preschool, etc.) we go on a walk around the block. I put the babies in the jogger & let my dd1 walk off her energy.
    It only gets easier as your little ones get bigger (it=getting out). The only problem we really run into is that an activity will be scheduled during their morning nap.
    Good luck! Congrats!

5. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

It's a crazy time, but somehow you just keep going. I found it much easier to get out and do things than to stay home and go crazy trying to keep babies happy and entertain the others. Even shopping isn't as hard as you think. Stick the two infant seats in one cart (one in basket, one on top), and put your toddler in the other. You push one cart and pull the other. People pretty much stay out of the way, although do leave lots of time for other people's twin stories in the stores.

Fortunately, toddlers don't really care if their meal is some ham slices and cheese with a piece of bread and some green beans fresh out of the can (every day). You do what you have to to survive, and it eventually falls into place.

The biggest thing to remember is it hurts you more to hear them cry than it hurts them to cry. And feel free to laugh at the craziness of your life so you really don't go insane.

6. meganandsara

meganandsara Well-Known Member

Keep your sanity...what is that? [​IMG] When our girls were born our older dd was 18 months. They came home from the hospital after 9 weeks, just a few days before their due date. i had help for 2 weeks...and then it was all up to me too! I just had to get a routine and things went okay. My oldest dd woke up pretty early, so I was usually ready to get out for morning activities, but I really couldn't do too much, RSV season, and I couldn't take the girls out to many different places. It does get easier, and my girls slept well in their carseats..so that was good too!I still think that life is a little insane in this house... but we love our girls and the craziness they bring to our home!

7. MellysLittleBoos

MellysLittleBoos Well-Known Member

I personally found it hard to get out of the house with two toddlers and two newborns. My oldest was only 3 when the twins were born. I didn't have any help when we came home from the hospital. I used it all up when I was on bedrest, so I was on my own from day one, at least til hubby got home LOL.

I found that my slings were a HUGE lifesaver for me around the house. I swear it was the only way I ever got to vacuum, or pick up around the house. I just did my best to create a routine and stick with it. I tried getting the twins down to sleep before lunch, so I would have that time with my older two. Took awhile, but I ended up making that work out.

Another thing that helped me keep my sanity is as the girls got a little older and I felt more comfortable leaving them with my mom, hubby and I would get out and go have some dinner and see a movie. I know I was in desperate need of some adult conversation after awhile lol.

Now if only we had the oppourtunity to do that out here. We lost our babysitter when we moved away LOL

8. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

We have three, and it can be extremely challenging... mostly because our older child is able to sabotage our efforts with the twins (wake them, demand attention when caring for a twin, get into something when you're occupied with a twin). The best thing I have found has been serious routine. I won't lie to you. Mornings and evenings are UGLY! But they have gotten much better in recent months. The main thing I would do is prep at night when they are all asleep... get bottles ready if you are using bottles, put clothes out, take your shower, etc. It took me several weeks, but I eventually got my three to the point of napping for one long stretch at the same time. It would have probably taken less time if I were home with them, but I could only do it weekends. It is so nice to get that break on the days everyone is home. Another thing that helps a lot is to take turns with your husband taking the older child out one day on weekends, even if it's just for a run to the grocery store. I laugh to think I used to think one kid was hard. Now, both dh and I consider it a break for one to get the older kid, the other to "just" have the twins. It also allowed my daughter to get some alone time with us, so she acts up far less.