Toddler Silverware Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SweetpeaG, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on introducing silverware. Pedi said it was a good time to start at our well child today. Seems a bit early to me...but I figure they'll probably enjoy the experience even if it ends up a total disaster for me. [​IMG]

I like the idea of those dippers that aren't spoons or forks...anyone like them who's tried them?

Any other recommendations on making it a succesful experience?

2. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on introducing silverware. Pedi said it was a good time to start at our well child today. Seems a bit early to me...but I figure they'll probably enjoy the experience even if it ends up a total disaster for me. [​IMG]

I like the idea of those dippers that aren't spoons or forks...anyone like them who's tried them?

Any other recommendations on making it a succesful experience?

3. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

My guys had texture issues and we went to the feeding clinic. What they recommended for their first spoon was the nuk toothbrush. It is a rubber stick with rubber prongs on the end that is easy to get food in (ie yogurt, pudding, ect). I know it sounds strange, but it worked great. I don't know if you can get them in the stores, but I bet you could find them online.

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We started around 9/10 months as well. They were pretty good with the spoon by a year old and then we introduced the fork. At first I used the sassy spoons with the holes in the bowl of the spoon. They're great for applesauce, oatmeal, etc. For the next step I like the Gerber fork/spoon with the fat plastic handle. They still use those. We never used the lil dipper ones. HTH [​IMG]

5. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We never used the lil dippers. I actually think finding good forks has been a problem. The plastic ones (The First Years?) didn't stab well enough, the Gerber ones with the bent in safety tips also didn't stab well enough (I should just throw those out already). The best ones we've had were a gift and I don't know who makes them but they have Tinkerbell ("Tink") on the plastic handle and do have the Disney logo. These are good. Spoons are never a problem -- they'll use any spoon, as long as it's the right color [​IMG]

My girls started demanding "big forks" months ago, so they mostly eat with adult-sized salad forks these days. However, I did just buy them each a very nice set of Henckels kids flatware at a warehouse sale. They should be perfect. And they are beautiful. And I got them relatively inexpensively. Oneida also makes some nice stuff, but I never got any.

6. Sarah4590

Sarah4590 Active Member

In the plastic forks isle at Wal-Mart I found "Zoo Pals" plastic utensils for kids. The box comes with forks, knives and a kind of spreader. My kids use the forks the most. I like that there were a bunch of them and kind of disposable so if something happended...Oh well. I use the spreaders so I don't have to dirty my silverware. The spoons are not great but it's worth the couple bucks for the box.

Sarah
    Raina & Mason 17.5mos

7. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'd suggest looking for something with metal ends and a thick handle. I know Target.com carries some but I couldn't bring myself to pay $25 a set for them (that's $25 for ONE spoon, fork, and knife). I have a couple of cheap Sassy plastic sets and the "safety forks" are horrible. They're really a hybrid spoon-fork and they don't work worth a darn. It's too bad because the handles are nice.

After watching Trevor unsuccessfully trying to stab some papaya with his thick-tyned plastic fork, I got a couple of regular salad forks from the drawer and gave them those instead. They were both thrilled and spent the rest of the meal stabbing their food and eating it.

I'm going to look at the kid's flatware from Oneida.

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We like the silverware from the Disney Store (probably the ones with Tink on them). But those would be better for once they have mastered the use of a spoon and a fork.

We didn't start until 15 mos., and when we introduced them they got it immediately. We started with the Gerber fat handled spoons and forks.

9. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

We started around 11 - 12 months. I couldn't find them in stores anywhere, so I ordered from pottery Barn. I started my girls early on everything, and now they are pros with silverware. They won't wait until I give them forks before they really start to eat. I also introduced regular toddler glasses. I only would pour enough milk to wet their mouth, and not their shirts. Now they drink milk from glasses just great! The earlier you start them with silverware, the more hands on they will get!

10. bthom

bthom Well-Known Member

We started with the sassy spoons with the holes in them--I think they are really great esp to start with yoguer and applesauce type stuff. Now we use whatever--I bought a pack of the first years disposable spoons and forks that I like b/c I can bring them anywhere and don't worry if I lose one. They had no problems stabbing chicken nuggets with the forks. Avaoids the "spork" however as previous posters have said. I also got them 2 sets of Disney dishes and spoon/fork sets for Christmas. They have the metal forks and spoons.

11. stinabina

stinabina Well-Known Member

we like the IKEA kids silverware. it's like first years or something.. but wider. and it's fairly flat.

12. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

K&M use Winnie the Pooh Easy Grasp forks and spoons. They do great with them. http://www.netkidswear.com/easforspoon.html

We started out with the First Years disposable silverware but I wasn't too happy with them.

Never used the dipper ones.