Token/Reward System

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, Oct 9, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

Would love it if anyone that uses a Token/Reward System to reinforce positive behavior, would share what they do & how it works out for your family. Specifics in your system would help a lot.

Thanks!

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my kids were younger, we had what we called the Bonus Box.  It was a box with little things that they wanted that they had to earn with exceptional behavior.  It was for those trips to grocery store when everything went right.  Or when I would get up in the morning and they were playing nicely.  I would just try to catch them being good.  

I put a variety of things in the box over the years.  It might be some Hot Wheels, Mario figurines, basketball cards, or fun pencils.  Sarah likes My Little Pony Figures, Bella Sara trading cards, or Little Pet Shop figures.  Sometimes I would surprise them and have a book in there they would really want, but that was rare.  More often I also put craft stuff in there.  Things like extra special origami paper, extra rubber bands for their looms.  Things like that.  Littler kids would probably like playdoh or new markers or crayons.  I also put slips of paper in there for extra time with the Kindle or $1 app credits where they could get something for their favorite games.

I think it worked because I actively had to watch them to catch them being good.  It showed them that the positive attention was worth it.

Marissa

3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

We had a sticker chart for getting ready in the morning when they were around 3 years old.  Ten stickers and they got a trip to the Humane Society just to look.  It must have had some kind of impact because their favorite thing to do now, 7 years later, is volunteer at the Humane Society.  Unfortunately they are still terrible at getting ready in the morning.

2xjoy likes this.
  4. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

We've had a few different ones over the years but the one we currently have is by far the simplest and easiest to manage. I simply put a page one the fridge for each child and once they earn 10 stickers they get to choose from the prize draw. This has things from the $2 shop like stickers, pens, nail polish and occasionally a my little pony, lalaloopsy or barbie figurine. To get stickers they have to be kind, or get ready for bed without fuss or tidy up without fuss etc.
    Very similar to the above posters ideas! I just have to remind myself to remember to reward the stickers as these sorts of charts only work if you are consistent!