Too much sleep?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Jpuetz3, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Jpuetz3

Jpuetz3 Member

So this past month the twins have been sleeping from about 7pm-9am. The other day they slept till 10! And we had to get them up! They still take a nap too. It's about 2 hours. But my question is, I read that kids their age need 12-14 hours of sleep. That's what they get at night time! Are they sleeping too much? Should I wake them up earlier or just enjoy all this sleep and relax? :)

2. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I say enjoy the sleep and relax! :) Sounds heavenly to me! Seriously though 12-14 hours is the average need of kids their age, there are always going to be children who need more sleep and children who need less. If they're healthy and happy I would not worry at all, just be very thankful. ;)

3. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I agree! My kids sleep from 6pm-7am and then take 1-2 naps for at least an hour a piece! Just think of all of the new skills and brain development that is going on.. they need a lot of sleep to be able to re-energize for their waking hours!

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I just need to tell you how JEALOUS I am...do NOT wake them up!!!!!

Mine sleep from 7pm-5am with MANY wake-ups in between and then maybe have a 2 hour nap, again with many wake-ups. Mine have always been on the "lower" side of the averages and I'm still trying to learn to accept this ;). I didn't think babies like your actually existed, I thought all those stories of babies/kids who actually sleep were urban legends LOL :). Maybe they (or you!) could come to my house and share your secrets with my 3!!!

Kidding aside, I do actually have a friend whose singleton sleeps like your LOs (7pm-9am or later and still naps well in the afternoon) so there are other babies out there who just seem to need a LOT of sleep. Like the PP said the numbers are averages...there are always kids below and above the numbers. If they are sleeping there is a reason for it and they obviously need it.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I'm jealous, too! On a good day, we get 11 hours at night and a 1-1.5 hour nap. But some days it's more like 10 hours at night and a 45 minute nap. I wish my kids would sleep MORE, but I think that isn't going to happen (at least until they are teenagers!)

6. Jpuetz3

Jpuetz3 Member

ok AWESOME! Those are the answers i wanted to hear!! :) I always heard about getting blinds that darken their room so they sleep longer and better, but they were too expensive for us. My husband works at Warner Bros. Studios, and he brought home some duvateen (not sure how you spell it). But its black sheets that they use for tv/movies to shoot night shots during the day. SO, we put that over their window in their room, so its PITCH BLACK in there when the door is shut, no matter what time of the day it is. And its been sweet bliss ever since. Thats our secret :woohoo:

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Nice! We have cardboard taped over the window in our boys' room - that has made a big difference for them, but they still don't sleep quite as much as your kids do. I think some kids just need more sleep than others.

8. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

OK...I am going to duct tape cardboard to my girls windows today...I am desperate for more sleep so it's worth a try!!! They do have blackout curtains but some light still gets through...maybe they will sleep until 9am tomorrow :).

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with PP's, let them sleep and enjoy it!

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

It sounds like your LOs are just champion sleepers! :D All kids are so different that it's hard to say exactly what "normal" is. My guys are very different in that regard. Nate sleeps very heavily, but doesn't need as much sleep as Jack. Jack seems to be a lighter sleeper, and needs a *lot* more sleep. A few weeks ago I had to wake him up from a *5 hour nap* so he could eat dinner!!!! :shok: Then he went to bed at 8pm and slept all night! :rolleyes:

Man, I need to get some of that! Here in the Great White North (and this far west in the time zone) it stays light for so long at night that we're having trouble getting the boys to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Can't say I blame them; who wants to go to sleep while the sun is up for another 2 hours?!

11. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

so my 13 month olds sleep between 10 and 12 hours a night plus 2 2 to 3 hour naps during the day right now. they are going through a growth spurt. I remember calling my nurse the first night they we still sleeping 13 hours after going to bed and when she stopped giggling at me she reminded me that there could very well be times they are awake in the night and just playing in their bed or listoning to their noise machine while falling back asleep so they are most likely not sleeping 13 hours straight and then she said they were most likely in a growth spurt and not to worry just to enjoy it because before I knew it they would be dropping 1 of those naps and mommy time would be a distant memory!

12. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

My boys turn 2 on the 31st :'( They still sleep 8pm-8am or 9am. It was 7pm but since switching to toddler beds it's been about 8pm before they pass out finally (then move them back into their beds haha). Then they nap again from 1-4pm!

13. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Yes the dark room is the key!!!!!! We have darkening curtains in my twins room and they will sleep until 10-11 it is glorious!!!!!! I have even seen them wake up at 8 or so and go right back to sleep because the room is still dark and they don't think mr sun has come up yet!!

We did this because they have never been nappers and they were just to tired without the extra sleep!

14. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls sleep from 7pm-830am and take a 2-3 hour nap as well. Some kiddos just need more sleep! They have been sleeping this much for ages. I like to sleep a lot and so does DH so maybe it's genetic. I could literally sleep anytime, anywhere. They ask to go to night night if they are sleepy too :) We have always tried to make sleep a good thing :)

15. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

My boys sleep from 7pm - 7am and then have 2, 2 hour naps. I have to say though that I'm sure they're not asleep the whole time, they just play if they wake up early and we've gotten into a routine that they'll just stay in their crib until I get them. Enjoy it... I do!!