Too old for harnesses?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nbgmom, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nbgmom

nbgmom Well-Known Member

Ok I was one of those moms who said that my kids would learn to listen to me and just hold my hands. That worked great with my first son who was sweet natured and rarely disobeyed. The twins are a whole other story. They will be 3 at the end of November. They are also big for their age, like the 90th and 95th percentile for height and weight. With that said, holding onto their wrists is starting to hurt me and them. Sometimes we can convince them to hold hands when there are 2 of us to control them, but not when I am alone. I do stroller them alot, but lately one of them climbs out and then the other follows. Unfortunately their listening skills are still not great. Just wondered if a harness leash thing would help or if they are too old.
    Thanks for reading this and offering any help you can give.
    Kim

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'm picturing two large 3-year olds pulling you around by their leashes like my 100 pound friend with her German Shephard... Get yourself some rollerskates, and you don't have to walk anymore :lol: Sorry, I know it's annoying.

You have to be very firm and consistent with them. T&T are strong-willed and we stopped regular use of the stroller months ago. They get simple choices... ride in the cart, walk touching the cart, or hold my hand. The only other option is going home and missing out on "fun stuff". We're still working on it but they've improved a great deal. I use the phrase "parking lot rules" for the times they absolutely must hold my hand so it is very clear what is expected and we plan something where they can run after the boring trips (that way, they have something to look forward to and I have something to revoke if needed).

3. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I suppose it would be ok, but my girls haven't used them since last summer/fall. I can't imagine them pulling me along, like pp stated...lol!

4. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be the odd ball out and fess up. Mine still use them (depending on where we are and who is with me) and they turned 3 in June. I have one that is a runner -- I don't care how consistent and firm I am with him. If he wears one, the other wants to wear his. My dad does a lot of stuff with me and the boys and he is 73 so I need to know the boys are safe when he is with one of them. I usually put the little bear backpack on and keep the tail/leash tucked in the zipper. I only pull it out if necessary or if we are in a very busy place. They do not pull me along at all. They either walk with me or just a little ahead, but like I said, I have one that is a runner and very fast. They do have to hold my hand in parking lots -- not an option not to. To me, better safe than sorry and I don't care what anyone thinks. I get some nasty looks from moms with their ONE child, I get questions about where to purchase them from frazzled looking moms, and I get compliments on keeping them safe. I say do what you've got to do and don't care what anyone else says or thinks.

Mendy

5. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

My 3 year old wont fit into a harness comfortably. I say if you are somewhere that has a cart make them ride inside.

Good luck

April