Too Small to carry twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by XpectingTwins222, Oct 11, 2009.

1. XpectingTwins222

XpectingTwins222 Well-Known Member

I am still trying to get over the shock of having twins, as I don't have a single characteristic of having twins. I am only 4 ft 11 in, and normally weigh 110 lbs. I can't believe that I have enough space to carry twins, I hardly felt like I was able to carry around my two singleton boys who each weighed only 6 pounds. I'm wondering if there are added risks to the babies or myself because of me being so petite? This is so hard to take in, while its pretty exciting, I guess I am still in shock and being a young mother I am already worrying about preterm labor.

2. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I don't know about added risks from being short, but it all depends. I am only 5'1", and my first boy was 9 lbs, 8 ozs (41 wks, 2 days). My second boy was normal size (7,8). My girls (who are my twins) were 6,13 and 6,9 and I carried them 37 wks, 1 day. We all came through it just fine, so it's quite possible you will, too. :)

However, I could not drive past 30 weeks (couldn't reach the pedals), and toward the end I could not get myself up off the floor without help. So that was tricky.

eta: Congratulations! It's a thrill ride!

3. Bloom86

Bloom86 Well-Known Member

First of all, let me congratulate you on the twins :clapping:

And second, dont 2nd guess your body. The body is a very resilient thing, ESPECIALLY when creating a new life (or in our cases, 2 new lives) and I am a firm believer in the fact that God and mother nature both have a way of making sure everything fits properly. (although towards the end, you'll wonder HOW AND WHERE :bump: ) And if there is ever any cause for concern, your doctor will catch it right away.

Again, congrats on the twins and hope you're doing well!!! Cant wait to hear all the updates!!!

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought that too but then when I saw on Little People Big World, that woman was able to carry twins without a problem so I would bet it can't be all about size. That being said I was told that I have a very "petite" uterus and tubes by my RE. Don't know if that has anything to do with how I carry babies. Did you carry your others to full term without issues? I think your past would be a good indicator of how you will do. My singletons were both born at 36 weeks after battling ptl for weeks/bed rest/meds. So my twins only made it to 28 weeks, but I truly don't believe that it was my size that caused that. I am 5'2.

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

No experience with being smaller and carrying twins, just wanted to say Welcome to Twinstuff and Congratulations on your twins!! :Clap:

6. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I am not short, but super thin, 5'5 95 lbs. I had no problem accommodating my boys!

7. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

My sister is under 5 feet and 100 lbs. She safely delivered a 12 lb 2 oz baby girl in July of 2001 vaginally!! When my family expressed their shock the delivering OB said looks are very deceiving when it comes to carrying and delivering babies. Congrats and good luck!

8. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I was nervous when a TINY woman at church got pregnant with twins (like size 1, under 5 foot), but she delivered full term healthy ID twins. No problem!

9. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I, too, was shocked and nervous upon finding out about my twin gestation. I'm only 5'2'' and 105 lbs. However, I've heard from many women on this forum that we can do it! And my prenatal masseuse taught me how to massage my belly - she said it will help loosen the muscle and skin to help make more room! Good luck with your pregnancy and keep us posted!

Oh, P.S. My OB, who specializes in multiples, stated that pre-term labor has more to do with the shape and length of the cervix than the size of the woman.

10. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

:wavey: Welcome to Twinstuff & congratulations!!

I am 4'11 as well :good: and carried my girls to their scheduled c-section date at 37.5 weeks. They were 6lbs & 4lbs 11oz ~
    I think around 32 weeks I wasn't able to drive either since I couldn't reach the pedals like the other poster :lol:
    My tummy got realllly big due to the lack of real-estate for the babies, but they - and I - were just fine :)
    But other than that it was a pretty uneventful & healthy pregnancy!

Good luck!

11. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Another shorty 5' 2" but not skinny, lol! Anyways, I carried my boys to their scheduled c-section at 37w3d with no signs of going into labor on my own. They were 7lbs. 11oz. and 6lbs. 14oz. I have also had three singleton babies over 9lbs. One was 10lbs 11oz.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I made sure to eat alot of protein and rest as much as I could.

12. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

I'm short as well 5"2 but I've never reflected on it being a problem since I have been watching the TV reality show, "Little people Big world" for a while now and the mother "Amy's" first pregnancy was twins.... :) I guess I just assumed if a little person under 3 ft can carry twins, then it shouldn't be a major issue for others.

13. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

I am not that small or short and I did not carry to term however I just wanted to interject that achondroplasic people like the lady on "little people big world" have short limbs but a normal sized torso. I am no expert in chondrodysplasia but from looking at the mom in the show I woud say that, were her limbs the correct length, she would not be a short woman at all. She is pretty broad and strong looking (though that is part and parcel of the achondroplasia). Just meaning that she is not an example of small people carrying to term, the length of her legs and arms is independent of her ability to have or not big children.

If you are afraid about your size being a problem with a twin pregnancy go to your gyn and ask him/her what she/he thinks. I am pretty sure that size should not be a problem, because you do see 6 foot tall people with huge torsos have 24 weekers and tiny ladies carrying to term. My own mother, 5'1 and 100 pounds or so had 5 children, all a few days post-term, the smallest was over 8 pounds, the biggest was over 11 and she had them all vaginally.
    M.

14. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Another shortie here, 5 ft 1 but not so skinny heehee. Our twins were carried to term at 37 weeks 3 days. I got HUGE and could barely reach the steering wheel and pedals and had trouble walking and getting up etc at the end but it definitely can be done. I know I was wondering about that myself but it just works LOL. CONGRATS and welcome to TS!

15. damonsmummy

damonsmummy Well-Known Member

I am only 5'2 and weighed about 125 lbs when I got pregnant with twin. I now weigh 160 and any problems I have had in the last few weeks are considered normal issues for a twin pregnancy no matter what your size. Don't worry about! I hope that you have a uneventful pregnancy! And Congrats on your twins!

16. Tiffany Gore

Tiffany Gore New Member

I am 5'3 and weighed 115 before I got pregnant with twins. This is my first pregnancy and I am worried about pre-term labor too. I am 24 weeks and weigh 150 and still have 3 months to go!! My sister only had single pregnancies and she was 2 months and 1 month premature with both my nephews. I know everyone is different but I believe that if we take good care of ourselves things will turn out okay. Try not to stress about it too much as I'm sure that will only make the pregnancy shorter. Congrats and hope you have a long healthy pregnancy!

17. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

I'm just under 5'2" - was about 115 pounds. I'm now just about 32 weeks and can still drive no problem. I don't know how these babies are fitting - as they are both estimated to be 3 pounds 12 ounces. I'm not abnormally huge - my family and everyone thinks that I should be bigger at this point. So, it just goes to show how they somehow fit.

I have a friend at work who is VERY petite - smaller than I am - and she had twin girls no problem. Like someone said, mother nature has a way of making it work!

18. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

pre-pregnancy Im 5'2 and 105. I gained 45 pounds with my twins and carried them till induction at 37 weeks.
    I did have 2 bouts of pre-term labor and was on bedrest from 29-34 weeks however I was very aware of the signs and took action anytimme I noticed anything out of the ordinary.
    Take good care of yourself and talk with your doctor early on about things to watch for. :youcandoit:

19. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I have a teeny-tiny friend about the same size as you... her two singleton boys were over 9lbs and 10lbs!! Somehow your body will adjust. My first baby was over 8lbs, and my full term twins were 5lbs15oz and 5lbs 11oz... so not as large as I had thought they would be considering my first child.

20. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My mom was 115lbs when she got pregnant with us and she lasted until 39 weeks.

21. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else that your height has nothing to do with it. Talk to your doc about your fears too. IT will help reassure you.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

22. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I don't think size effects how well your body will be able to carry twins. I'm just under 5ft and weighed 108 lb's when I got pregnant with my girls. I carried them without problems until around 32 weeks or so when I developed preeclampsia. They were delivered at 35 weeks and 3 days, small but extremely healthy. Congratulations and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and babies!!