Took away lovies (sucked on all day) at age 4 should I give them back?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by marcymiller, Sep 28, 2014.

1. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

My girls sucked on their loves like mad. The "bear bears" we're disgusting and the dentis was concerned. So I arranged for the "bear bear fairy" to come pick them up one night to allow new little ones a turn with the bear bears and s/he exchanged the lovies with a new soft baby doll. It's been over two years and my girls are doing great but still very occasionally suck their sheets for comfort and literally cry over their lost bear bears. I can tell they hv suffered a tremendous loss and I feel terrible because I did it!!!! I am wondering if I should give them back with a proper note from the bear bear fairy thanking them for their generosity in sharing them. I don't think they'll walk around with them hanging out of their mouths anymore. Not even sure they'll suck on them much ...

2. TP

TP Well-Known Member

first of all stop feeling guilty - you did it for the girls betterment. I know it is hard - so :grouphug:.......
    Now about your questions - I think a note might*help but I would not suggest giving the lovey back. Why even tempt them? would be my logic. 

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would have to agree with TP, you could send a note from the fairy saying "the bear-bears are with children who need them right now and they (your girls) are such big girls that they don't need them anymore..." or something to that effect.  I would not bring them back, I would not offer that temptation at all.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It was a loss but really, they are ok. They have toys, & a loving family. I would put them in a box for them to open when they are adults, maybe along with a note from the fairy that you gave to them at the time.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

No way. We did the same when they turned 4. It was a bit hard at first but they did great. If you give them back it might be harder the second time, why risk it? Maybe get them new plush toys or something...

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Nope, they need to be gone altogether.  I agree with the others.