took my LO back to the doc today

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ilovemykids, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

i really thought my LO had an ear infection. the doc said the eardrum looked dull but that was 'normal' after having an infection and felt like it was her reflux that was causing her to awaken at night. he gave her 1/2 tsp of maalox (she's a little over 15 lbs) and she is asleep! drank an ENTIRE bottle (8oz) and i pray she stays asleep.
    (she had a LOT of gas; I'm thinking of getting some gas drops???)

long story short - i have never given her maalox/mylanta before (i heard they had aluminum in them??) because she was on zantac. he said to give it to her a couple of hours after if she awakens after her zantac.

thoughts?
    does this work for any babies with reflux?
    he suggested her zantac might need to be adjusted. (it was the walk-in pediatric center....not her real doc).

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jess was on axid with no other reflux meds. She was just producing too much acid. Maybe this is the problem with your lo

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

never had to do the Maalox but my DD was on gas drops till she was almost 2

4. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Zantac initially worked for my twins but you have to keep upping the dose as their weight increases. We were always playing catch up. Finally went on prevacid (dose doesnt change with weight) and babies have been good ever since.

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

We start DS on Zantac and had the same problem. He kept growing out of the dose range.
    We switched to Prilosec and haven't had any other problems!
    Duh, you would think doctors would realize they are 'likely' to grow and would give us a heads up!! Really it doesn't take a gazillion years of school to figure that out! UUgg, can you tell I am still ticked about what we went through, and it wasn't nearly as bad as your experience.
    Sorry you and your LO had to go through that.

So glad you got it figured out!

6. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

I also think it's gas. she has been pumping, arching and farting and now i have no idea what it is.
    she's maybe 15.5/16 lbs and on 1.2mL of zantac. the doc said they only go up to 1.5....

just to add - her GI said some of the other antacids had more side effects? is that true for prilosec or prevacid?