Totally Noobie question about diaper changes

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Tier1Terrier, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Tier1Terrier

Tier1Terrier Active Member

Our boys are coming home from the NICU soon!!!

While in the NICU, every diaper change involves either Vaseline or some sort of diaper rash cream (even when there's no rash). So, when doing diaper changes on a baby with a 'healthy' (no rash) bottom, do you use any creams or ointments even preventatively? If so, what exactly do you use (both with and without rash)

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I generally didn't use anything if there was no rash. Anything to save three seconds! :laughing: I found if they got a bad, out of the blue rash, Aquaphor worked wonders! Within the next diaper change, there was huge improvements!

3. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I don't use anything unless its needed!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, not unless something is funky.

Eta- we do cornstarch or baby powder after a bath, too, otherwise they can get yeasty.

5. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

We didn't use anything either, maybe a lil powder after bath but that's it.

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

We only use stuff if there is a rash as well. I love the Aquafor too! It works wonders. Like pp wrote usually better by next change. If it's a really nasty rash I'll use Destin but only if it's bad.

7. christinam

Wait I was just thinking. Have them been circumcised? They would need Vasoline on their penis at each change to prevent it sticking to the diaper. But usually you do that for less than a week and are done.

8. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

So glad you are getting ready to go home! We only use cream if they are red or rashy. Enjoy having everyone home.

9. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I like A&D ointment. only if they are red and usually before bed when they will be in the same diaper for 12 hours.

10. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

We did put a cream on their bottoms with every diaper change... even if there was no rash. We used Butt Paste or Vaseline. Our boys were very prone to irritation so it was mainly preventative. But it also made poop easier to clean off. If they did have a rash, we used Balmex. I HATE the smell of Desitin but that worked well too. So excited for you that they are coming home soon!!!!!

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I used diaper cream only when they looked more red than normal or had a rash. At night or if I thought they might be a bit between diaper changes, I would put vaseline on as a preventative.

12. christinam

I didn't think about the Vasoline making it easier to clean poop off. Hmmm I'm going to try this.

13. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

same as above. Always used vaseline and then sudacrem or similar if started to get rash

14. daisies

this is true!

15. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I love Aquaphor also, we only use it when needed. How is your wife? Congratulations on bringing them home and good luck.

I love Aquaphor also, we only use it when needed. How is your wife? Congratulations on bringing them home and good luck.

16. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

During the day, we only use something if they seem to have a rash. A&D if it is mild, Balmex if it is more severe. After they were a few weeks old, I started putting vaseline on their bottoms every night (and putting them in larger diapers). I only change their diapers at night if they pooped or the diaper leaked.

17. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I like Burt's Bees, used to use it at night when they will be in the same diaper for 12 hours but lately have gotten out of the habit. Otherwise, I just use when they look irritated.

18. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

Nothing unless they are irritated

19. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

SO GLAD Y'ALL A GOING HOME!!!!!

Jackson was circumcised so we had to use vaseline while the circ healed.

My two for what ever reason have sensitive bottoms so its butt paste every diaper change!

They got it really bad and we having to use nystatin and cortisone cream. When it looks like its getting bad again I start that regime again.

20. daisies

On a side note: you should try out different diaper brands. For us there is a big difference in 'bottom health'(not sure that is the right description but you get my drift) with certain brands.

21. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I agree with this!!!

The twins had been perfect on Pampers swaddlers and then we switched to huggies(everyone got me diapers on top of a gift and it was an assortment of brands and sizes for my baby shower) and thats when the nightmare started, although we don't know if it was diapers or formula issues we went back to Pampers and Pampers sensitive wipes.

22. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So true. Not only do Target generics fit my girl and reduce rashes, but my daughter has eczema pretty bad and can only use homemade wipes without getting a rash. I've tried Pampers, Huggies, generic brand wipes but everything gives her a rash except baby soap and baby oil.