Touching "Private Parts"

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by darges789, Nov 22, 2009.

1. darges789

darges789 New Member

My girls are about 14 months. One of my daughters has been touching herself when I change her diaper. She also laughs when she does it. I know it is not sexual, just curiosity. I try not to make a big deal about it or tell her not to do it. I don't want her to have issues down the road and feel enbarassed or ashamed. She has also started undressing herself and trying to remove her diaper. If she removes her diaper, she goes straight for her privates. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this. How did you handle it and how old were your kids? BTW- She separates her labia which worries me. I thought maybe she has an itch, but she laughs/giggles. Should I call her Dr.?

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not sure but my boys have been tugging on their "wing-dings" as well call them for the last month or so. Makes it for a real fun diaper change when they poop and want to touch that and then put their hands in their mouth. I don't really say anything to them like No or anything, I just remove their hands. Bathtime is a huge issue...they will stand up and hold onto it like its going to run away or just tug on it in the water. Not sure why? Sure it feels weird.

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Sounds totally normal to me. Both of my girls are nudists, and have been removing their diaper and clothes for quite some time now. They actually request to be a "Nakey Girl" several times throughout the day. :rolleyes: And like your DD, they also go straight for their private parts. I don't make a big deal about it at all, if I catch them I tell that is something that we do in private, not in the living room and put the diaper back on. Like you said I think it is totally not sexually motivated, and they do it out of pure curiosity and I'm sure it feels good to them. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are still concerned you can always call your pedi and see what he/she has to say about it.

4. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My oldest son did this very early on as well and he really likes to do it frequently now. From what I have found and read it is totally natural. We also tell our son that it is not something that we do infront of others and otherwise we ignore it if he is in the tub or in his room.

5. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

We talked about this exact subject in my human sexuality class in college. Our professor said that it is pure curiousity and that it feels good to them, so they do it. If you see them do it just remind them that it is something done in private, but never scold them for it. Later in life you want them to be comfortable with their bodies and to not feel ashamed for exploring their bodies. One way our professor said to get them to stop is to distract them with something else. If you see her touching herself try getting her to play with some toys or reading books...anything to take her mind off touching herself.

Hope that helps!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls do this at diaper changes - i agree with the PP, mostly it's just an issue if they have a poopy diaper. :bad: then i tell them they can't touch until mommy's finished cleaning their bum. other than that, i don't comment. as for the taking off their clothes - if they want them off, i usually let them. mostly they just like to have their shirts off. sometimes they want to be naked. then i usually let them go for a little while, or until there's an accident, then it's back into their diapers/clothes.

7. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

not only do my guys do this, but last night in the bath tub jacob reached out and poked owen's "privates" and they both laughed hysterically. i took it to be jacob's way of saying "oh hey, you've got one, too!"

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Yep my 2 do it at diaper changes, naked time and in the bathtub.
    I just tell them both YEP thats your pee-pee. Keep your hands to yourself (when they touch each other).
    I think its totally normal.

9. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

My daughter does this too. Totally normal.

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

sometimes my girl touches my boy's "privates"... in the tub... oh great... we try to just ignore...

11. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

DD does this ALL the time, especially, it seems, after a poopy diaper! I'm always saying, "ew ew yucky!" and she just smiles and laughs:) DS does this in the bath and sometimes when I'm changing him too. You're right, it's just self-exploration and totally and completely normal:_

12. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

One of mine tend to do that more than the other. I do as PP's suggested and try to ignore it or distract them. ^_^

13. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

My boys stared doing that a couple months ago, I just chalk it up to being part of them learning and exploring, as they get older and now they have found that part of their anatomy. Am not worried or concerned at all. Just part of learning and feeling for them.

14. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

Totally curiosity. My girls do it too..I move their hands and say wait! Lol.