Touring Nicu Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Jon&Angie, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Jon&Angie

Jon&Angie Active Member

So I called the Nicu where my twins will possibly go when they're born. I explained my situation about being a high risk twin pregnancy and asked if they had tours offered to parents in my situation. The NICu coordinator was surprized at this I guess. She said that it was great that we were being so proactive about the possiblities and trying to be prepared for what ever happens. She said not many parents request a tour, but she'd be delighted to give us one. She's even going to have the transport team and head neonatologist and LC meet with us too. It sure will be great to at least know a little bit about the NICU if we should need it. The greatest cure to fear is knowledge! Tomorrow at 4 is the tour, let you know how it goes :wavey:

2. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Huh, I never thought of doing that. I wonder if they can include that in a regular L&D tour.

3. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Buttercup1 @ Apr 9 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]212146[/snapback]
    Huh, I never thought of doing that. I wonder if they can include that in a regular L&D tour.

Not in my experience. I got my NICU tour while I was in the hospital for PTL. It was nice to get exposed to that environment before having the babies and before we were in a state of total panic and worry over their condition. Fortunately, we never needed it, but I agree that knowledge is power. It also helped keep me motivated to try to keep them in as long as I could.

4. ~Kamie~

~Kamie~ Well-Known Member

We were able to request it when scheduled our tour of the L&D. We'll deliver at a hospital 30 minutes away if the twins come, so I wanted to be prepared and dh to feel comfortable.

I hope it goes well!

5. FondofTwins

FondofTwins Well-Known Member

We requested a NICU tour just in case, and we did end up needing it. Having twins in the NICU also helped to get another mom a tour in there. She was having a singleton and just couldn't wait to have the baby. After seeing the NICU, she thought it would be better to wait. The hardest part about the NICU is seeing all the little babies hooked to all the tubes. Once you get over that, the NICU is really a friendly place to be.

6. Its kindof hurtful to hear that some of you toured the NICU as a reason to "try harder to keep them in" because some of us didn't get that opportunity and had to go that route. That being said, having the opportunity to see the NICU beforehand would have been nice because it would have prepared us for what was in store for us. It is a bit shocking to see your precious babies plugged up to monitors and such, but in my experience the nurses in level II are some of the best people on the planet. I think it is a wonderful idea to see and tour every delivery option; you never know how the story is going to end...

7. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

QUOTE(three_precious_girls @ Apr 9 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]212584[/snapback]
    Its kindof hurtful to hear that some of you toured the NICU as a reason to "try harder to keep them in" because some of us didn't get that opportunity and had to go that route.

I'm sorry you feel hurt but I don't think anyone said they only did the tour to give themselves a reason to "try harder". I can only speak for myself but what I said was that it did motivate me. It motivated me to try to rest more than I wanted to, to eat better than I wanted to, to continue the endless changing of needles in my leg for my terb pump, to keep checking that BP 3 times/day, to keep poking my finger to check my sugar 5 times/day. Those things all start to wear you down and you just want so badly for it to end. I, for one, didn't have any idea what the NICU was like. I had never seen a baby hooked up to a dozen wires and machines. It helped me stay focused.

I really don't think anyone was saying that if someone's babies needed the NICU that the Mom didn't try hard enough. I think maybe that's what you felt was implied? I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows that you can't predict the future of your multiple pg. All you can do is your best until the time comes to deliver them.

8. Jon&Angie

Jon&Angie Active Member

Ya, I'm a little worried how DH will react to. I'm a nurse/premed student, so I'm used to a medical enviroment. (I never did any pediatrics though) I hope Jon is not to overwhelmed. We are pretty sure we'll end up in NICU. I'm on P17 injections, and all 3 of my children were premies. My 2 yr old DD was a 32 weeker. She had a's and b's, but never needed NICU, just special care. The hospital I'm delivering at does not have a NICU. We are touring the one over at Children's Hospital here in Dayton. My due date is July 26th, but we're told to pray to make it to the beginning of June. Prayers please :wavey:

9. BDFDGirl (Heather)

BDFDGirl (Heather) Well-Known Member

I'm a NICU nurse. We usually only have sick moms tour the unit. I think it's great that you all are getting the tours while you can. Most moms are in L&D in PTL (or on mag for hypertension) and can't take the tour. So the dad's take the tour by themselves. Try to make a list of questions to ask before hand. I really recommend asking the visiting hours question. Our hospital is VERY strict. Parents and grandparents can visit most of the day, but only two other visitors are allowed in per day. They must come with mom or dad. Find out if you can have stuffed animals at the bedside. Pick out some pictures of your family (just 2-3 small pictures) to put at their bedside. (Make sure you ask this too.) Find out about sibling visitation. Also important to ask if they have a breast pumping room. I would also ask if they use donated breastmilk. This isn't something a lot of hospitals use, but some of the larger hospitals pretty much make you use it. Something I don't agree with. If they do.... ask any and all questions that come to mind. Also ask if you can refuse it. I am so excited that many of you are getting the tours without being admitted in the hospital already. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

10. Jon&Angie

Jon&Angie Active Member

Thanks BDFD! THe tour was wonderful! We met with both of the head neonatologists, the charge nurse, the transport team, the LC. IT was amazing. They try to portray a sence of home/family. The front door to the unit looks like a cottage and each baby bed station inside looks like little dollhouse's. The staff was so friendly, you can really tell they love what they do. Visitation was very reasonalble. parents/grandparents visit any time, others visit any time w/ a parent present. Siblings over 1 yr old w/ shot record. I was also relieved to hear that they support alot of my wishes. As long as not on vents, babies can co-bed if I want, if vented their incubators will be right next to each other. The entire staff is EXTREMELY supportive of breastfeeding and kangaroo care when possible. They also use the donated breastmilk bank if mom is unable. They shared some incredible stories w/ us. We saw some of the tiniest babies I've ever seen! 28weeker was there. All I can say to those mommies is, wow. Everyone we met was excited that we had come and educated/prepared us for the unit as best as possible. I must say that it is not something I want to deal with, but I'm feeling less anxiety about the possibility.

11. ExpectingTwins 7-31-07

ExpectingTwins 7-31-07 Well-Known Member

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your tour. I have been thinking about having one myself. My hospital offers a tour of L&D and NICU the first Saturday of each month. Good luck to you and I hope all goes well so you don't have to visit the NICU again. :D