Toy Swords For Halloween In Public?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, Aug 1, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My boys want to be the "bad" guys in the movie Mulan. (The Hun)

They want the sword to be part of their costume. We do a lot of our trick or treating in Malls etc and don't know if we dare take a chance (with the way the world is today)...taking any type of TOY weapon into a public place.

I would NEVER EVER allow the sword to look anything remotely close to "real" I would make it very obvious that it is just a toy by make it out of foam etc with a rounded end

Do I still dare do it?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would.  I see kids walking around with toy weapons on my street during Halloween, I don't see why it would be a problem.  You could always call the mall ahead of time and ask as well. The only reason why my kids don't walk around with extra effects to their costumes is because it's too much too carry with the candy bags and stuff. 

1 person likes this.
  3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

How about a twisty balloon sword?  Instructions available on youtube. That would obviously not be a weapon and if/when it pops ... oh well.

4. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it if its obviously a toy.  My kids had toy swords with their costumes last year but didn't take them trick or treating.  Too much to carry and I would have ended up with them.  My kids really just wanted them to play with at home. 

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my kids have foam swords they play with year round...

6. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be a problem with a toy sword to go along with a Halloween costume at all. The only thing is....kids get tired of carrying things. My question would be, will they get tired of carrying it and will it be a problem or not?