Toys you hate

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Do your kids have any toys you absolutely hate? We bought this stupid Vtech Microphone and I can't stand it. The microphone doesn't work well at all. Besides that, the thing plays a song to the tune of Old MacDonald and it sings the pitches Do Re Mi Fa Sol on the wrong pitches. That probably only bugs me because I teach music, but it bothers me that my kids are hearing those syllables on the wrong notes. I should just "lose" the darn thing, but it's small and keeps them occupied when we are on the go.

So what toys do you have that you hate and why?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Beth I love your new Avi! :wub: Your girls are getting so big and so cute!!

I don't really have any toys I hate. There is a Cookie Jar shape sorter toy that sings the same obnoxious song over and over again that drove me a little batty. I moved it up to their bedroom, so now they only play with it before bed and that has seemed to work better to maintain my sanity.

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I hate the See and Say things. They never work right and sound possessed. They do nothing but frustrate my children.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The generic keyboards they got for Christmas. They love them and I can't seem to get rid of them

5. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

Things with buttons that make electronic noises. The girls love them though, so I'm sort of hosed.

6. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention this one. We have this bath toy that I hate. The thing is top heavy so it doesn't float well and when you pull the string is scares the h-e-double-toothpicks out of the babies. The only time we tried to use it we had to end bath time altogether since they were so petrified they couldn't get themselves calmed back down. Poor things were so traumatized I was afraid they'd never get back in the tub again.

7. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We have this guitar that BIL bought the girls for Christmas. He's a music nut and loves playing guitar so he thought it was a clever gift. I hate it. There is an annoying woman who sings a stupid song. The girls like it but don't play with it too much so I can deal with it.
    BTW, Kyrstyn, we have the same cookie jar and my girls love it. We usually keep it turned off and they don't seem to mind, they just hitting the shapes together and on the floor, lol.

8. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

The leapfrog Alphabet pal! It's loud even on the quiet settling and repeats "Thanks for playing with Leapfrog" quickly which draws them back to it. Then it says "Thanks for playing with Leapfrog" and so on and so on!

9. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jocasta @ Feb 22 2009, 08:07 PM) [snapback]1200852[/snapback]
    The leapfrog Alphabet pal! It's loud even on the quiet settling and repeats "Thanks for playing with Leapfrog" quickly which draws them back to it. Then it says "Thanks for playing with Leapfrog" and so on and so on!

YES...HATE this one! Thanks for playing with Leapfrog...goodbye! UGH!!!!

10. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissak @ Feb 23 2009, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1200861[/snapback]
    YES...HATE this one! Thanks for playing with Leapfrog...goodbye! UGH!!!!

How could I have forgotten the goodbye! It's not like I haven't heard it enough!!! It's good to know that Leapfrog are annoying parents all over the world with that thing!!!

11. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Anything with a million pieces. In other words, just about everything we have right now! :crazy:

12. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Feb 22 2009, 05:38 PM) [snapback]1200813[/snapback]
    I forgot to mention this one. We have this bath toy that I hate. The thing is top heavy so it doesn't float well and when you pull the string is scares the h-e-double-toothpicks out of the babies. The only time we tried to use it we had to end bath time altogether since they were so petrified they couldn't get themselves calmed back down. Poor things were so traumatized I was afraid they'd never get back in the tub again.

We have that one too, and my girls hated it at first and now they love it and fight over it at bath time! :rolleyes:

13. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

The cookie jar has been used as a weapon at our house. DS likes to throw it. I should let them have it in their room. That might be a better place to play with it.

I'm not crazy about the guitar either and we bought it along with the maraccas which I like.

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Elmo Live. The girls love playing with it for about 10 minutes every 6 weeks or so -- the rest of the time it stays in the closet. But when they first got it, I had to listen to it for hours a day.

15. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Feb 22 2009, 04:55 PM) [snapback]1200654[/snapback]
    There is a Cookie Jar shape sorter toy that sings the same obnoxious song over and over again that drove me a little batty.

We got that, too. I hated it!! They screamed and screamed because they couldn't figure out how to put the cookies in and when they did finally figured out how to put the cookies in right, they stopped playing with it :mad:

16. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

My all-time most hated toy was the Laugh and Learn Puppy! I can't believe I actually put it on their list for their first birthday. I saw it in the store and thought it was cute, little did I know how much I would hate that thing! I couldn't stand that it would turn off, but then you just press it again and it turns back on. Hello! Bye Bye! I Love You! The voice of it is so irritating too. Bleh!

17. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I hate my older girls pretend make-up. Mostly because it ends up being used to paint the wall, or the couch, or anywhere else my 2 year old can think of. (I didn't buy them the make-up, btw.) Just a heads up to those of you that have little girls.

18. denzel

denzel Well-Known Member

I can't stand this Hasbro toy vacuum cleaner.

First, I am already aware that my house gets messy quickly with two 2 year olds. I do not need a children's toy making comments like, "This place is a pig sty!"

Second, ours is faulty and it does NOT turn off - even with the off switch is in the off position. It is super sensitive, meaning that when I am cleaning up or even just brush past it, it goes off with it's loud vacuuming sound effects - not what you want when your kiddos have just fallen asleep in the next room.

Urg, if they didn't love it so much and if I weren't holding out hope that their love of this toy will one day blossom in to a love of cleaning, it would be out the door.

19. nutty-mom

nutty-mom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Feb 22 2009, 06:01 PM) [snapback]1200660[/snapback]
    I hate the See and Say things. They never work right and sound possessed. They do nothing but frustrate my children.

I totally agree with the see and say things

20. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

First, I am already aware that my house gets messy quickly with two 2 year olds. I do not need a children's toy making comments like, "This place is a pig sty!"

:rotflmbo:

21. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Feb 22 2009, 05:42 PM) [snapback]1200642[/snapback]
    it sings the pitches Do Re Mi Fa Sol on the wrong pitches.

Oh my gawd, I would die.

22. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My current one is a stick horse the girls have. When you press the ear it trots and makes a "neigh" noise but they can't figure out how to turn it on so they put it in my face all the time! I also made the mistake of "riding" it around the house so now they harass me constantly to ride on the horsey! LOL
    Lily is coming here with both horses as I type this...

23. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

the girls have this turtle where you press the buttons on his back and it plays a song, but the song lasts like 5 minutes and it's all muffled. it's just so annoying, but ivana loves it. there's just no real point to this toy.
    also the girls have toy fruit where the pieces are velcroed together, and you can tear it apart and put it back together etc, but the girls just tear them all apart and leave them all over the floor and i'm constantly stepping on fruit and cussing lol

24. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(denzel @ Feb 23 2009, 01:13 AM) [snapback]1201060[/snapback]
    I can't stand this Hasbro toy vacuum cleaner.

:rotl: Thank you for the laugh this morning!! :laughing:

Holly, I am SOOOOOOO WITH you on the MILLIONS OF PIECES!!!! :crazy:

25. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Feb 22 2009, 10:05 PM) [snapback]1201004[/snapback]
    My all-time most hated toy was the Laugh and Learn Puppy! I can't believe I actually put it on their list for their first birthday. I saw it in the store and thought it was cute, little did I know how much I would hate that thing! I couldn't stand that it would turn off, but then you just press it again and it turns back on. Hello! Bye Bye! I Love You! The voice of it is so irritating too. Bleh!

This is one of our possessed toys! I swear I will hear it in the middle of the night saying "Hug Me". It actually creeps me out. I had to remove the batteries. Another one of our possessed toys was the Little people garage. It started making noises in the middle of the night and I through it away.

We also have that stupid cookie jar, but we've lost all the cookies. How do you guys keep your toys with all those parts together?

26. rensejk

rensejk Well-Known Member

Fortunately the toy that I hate lives at Grandma's house so we only have to see it once in a while. It is this Mickey Mouse-themed ride-on airplane, with multiple buttons and sound effects. But their favorite sound effect is Mickey saying "Flying always reminds me of my favorite song, wanna hear it?" and then it plays the theme from Mickey Mouse. Cute right?

Well DD likes to hit the button over and over again so we hear nothing but "FlyingFlyingFlyingFlyingFlyingFlyingFlying" and it is super loud.

SO glad that toy lives at Grandmas.

-Jennifer

27. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Feb 22 2009, 08:25 PM) [snapback]1200868[/snapback]
    Anything with a million pieces. In other words, just about everything we have right now! :crazy:

Yep.. anything with little pieces.. stuff that a soon to be crawler will get to.
    To add something new.. chicken suited elmo. I forgot what he is officially called, but what a rukkus!

28. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(denzel @ Feb 23 2009, 08:13 AM) [snapback]1201060[/snapback]

This is one of our possessed toys! I swear I will hear it in the middle of the night saying "Hug Me". It actually creeps me out.

:laughing:
    This is really cracking me up.

Funny how many problems we all have with toys that won't turn off!

Another of my least favorites is this Thomas Talking Dictionary:
    http://www.amazon.com/Publication-Internat...y/dp/B000V7R8BG

The girls love it and it wouldn't bother me SO much (it is actually helping to teach them to spell), but the batteries die at least once a week. And then sometimes the buttons just stop working, even if the batteries are fine. If it sits on the shelf for a few weeks, it seems to come back to life. So it's usually in some kind of state of "rest" where the girls are constantly asking for it and we have to explain that it's not working right now.

29. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

30. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The Vtch beetle. Oh my gosh. I'm so sick of hearing those horrible songs and 'Oops! follow the flashing light again'.

31. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Mr. Potato Head <_< The peices are very hard for the girls to get in and out and it ends up being 20 thousand little arms, eyes, ears, feet etc all over the friggin house. Very annoying!

32. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(Snittens @ Feb 23 2009, 12:05 AM) [snapback]1201004[/snapback]

I too hated that toy! It was super sensitive and it would start saying something or start signing a song and if you shook it even a tiny bit or bumped another body part it would go into that whole thing. I don't think the girls ever got to hear fully anything that toy ever said.

33. KimberlyF

KimberlyF Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Feb 23 2009, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1201691[/snapback]
    The Vtch beetle. Oh my gosh. I'm so sick of hearing those horrible songs and 'Oops! follow the flashing light again'.

We have this one, too. Luckily, they rarely play with it.

They also have two driving toys, one at Grandma's and one at home, that one of the buttons says "Beep, beep! Get out of my way!" Who in their right mind makes a toy say something like that??

34. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(Snittens @ Feb 23 2009, 12:05 AM) [snapback]1201004[/snapback]

I too hated that toy! It was super sensitive and it would start saying something or start signing a song and if you shook it even a tiny bit or bumped another body part it would go into that whole thing. I don't think the girls ever got to hear fully anything that toy ever said.

35. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

We have that Puppy too! Thankfully it's been hidden lately and no one has noticed.

We have 2 of the vaccums that tell us this place is a pig sty. I usually manage to kick the darn thing when checking on the boys at night and it goes off!

They got the cookie jar for Christmas and I heard Dh last night as he was putting it up saying ugly things about it :lol:

Elmo Live drives me nuts the most right now. I get woken up a few times a week to, "Uh Oh Elmo fell down, can you help Elmo up please?"