Train Table Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by slugrad1998, Sep 7, 2011.

1. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

So my little man is turning into a typical boy and is just OBSESSED with trains. He lines up his cars and tries to attach them and a meal doesn't go by where he is taking a piece of food and pushing it across the table saying "choo choo"! I think this means it's time to get him some toy trains, but I'd like to get one of those nifty tables to keep it contained. Does anyone have recommendations on a train table that they really like, and what about it do you like? I've started looking, and those suckers are expensive [​IMG]

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Try Craigslist. We bought a table plus Thomas track and trains for $75. Worth every penny and my son doesn't care that it was used.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Train tables can be good or bad. If you get a table that's basically just a flat surface with a lip around it so things don't fall off, you still leave room for creativity since half the fun of playing with trains is setting up new track configurations. If you get a table that already has a plan laid out for tracks, or if you nail the tracks down, you're creating a static toy that the child can't customize. All they can do is push the train around and that gets old real fast.

So... I'd say get any large flat table you can find and use it for trains. Craigslist will have tons of used coffee tables that would fit the bill. You can even get some cute baskets for underneath to contain the train clutter when it's not set up.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We love our imaginarium train table (from toys'r us). The tracks didn't stay assembled long but they still use it.

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My dad is into woodworking and carpentry and made my son's train table. You might check around to find a local carpenter that could make you one and it would probably be cheaper than buying a new one.

6. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

this oneWe have essentially this one - slightly different theme and the kids love it. This is a good price for a new one.

7. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

We got ours used. It is great for storing the trains.

However if I had it to do again I would buy one that does not have legs (if I didn't just skip the train table purshase). A floor table. I'd have to do something for train/track storage but the boys can't reach everything on our table (with legs) so they end up sitting on it. Which is fine but... they will eventually be too big.

Honestly they prefer to build the train tracks on the floor. The table is now more of a storage place. There is way more room on the floor for them to be creative and spread out. Plus it is easier for them to reach all parts of the train track. We probably could have skipped the table and just bought something to store the trains/tracks in.

8. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

We like the Imaginarium Train Table with legs. The "train" room is also a guest room.

I would strongly suggest getting it second hand. However we did get ours on sale with coupons for $110 at Christmastime.

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto looking for a good condition used one. I couldn't find one for our kids last year before Christmas. I did lots and lots of reading of reviews, and found this one from Melissa and Doug. Activity/Train table It's a little more expensive, however, it was SO worth the price! Some of the train tables have a fairly flimsy board on top...and after a few kids sitting on it a few times it'll start to sag. This one had a very thick plywood type top, in two pieces so it's easy to get in and out. The twins have literally been found dancing/jumping on it, and there's no sag to it ;) There's a ton of storage underneath, the drawer is attached so it can't fall out on someone's toes...it's very very sturdily made. It's been abused this year with my foursome, and it's still in amazing condition. I'm confident i can sell it for over half what it cost me when we are ready to get rid of it ;)

So if you can find a good used one go for it! But for the money, this table was totally worth it ;) It was their big Christmas present from us last year.

As for the tracks, if you don't have a lot, buy USED. You can get good deals off of ebay sometimes. And it doesn't have to be Thomas brand track, most of ours is off brand wooden track. I do prefer the Thomas trains, they have held up better over time than the cheaper trains. All our track and trains are from our oldest, he's 9, and it's been through 4 kids and still in great shape :)

10. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member