Train Table Sets - What kind?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ssb2e, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

So, after reading the thread about whether or not to glue the train track to the table or not, I started thinking maybe we need a train table set! My kids will be two in a couple of weeks and this might be a good Christmas gift. So, what kind/brand do you have and what's great about it? Maybe some links if you have them handy! Thanks!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I guess it really depends on whether you think your kids would play with the tracks or not. A friend got her 2 yo the Step 2 train table that has no tracks to deal with (it's just one piece) and they loved it... she's now considering getting tracks. We tried tracks a year ago and my kids didn't care at all so we decided to wait until they were 3 (or close) and just get a play kitchen instead.

We went for Imaginarium (the toys'r us brand) because they have good reviews, and mostly because I found a set for like 80% off a few months ago, but we haven't tried them out yet. The good thing is that whatever you get, it pretty much works with all the other brands too, so if your kids love Thomas you can just get the trains and use them on another track. I know that Melissa and Doug and Kidkraft make good sets too, and obviously the Thomas stuff is great if you can afford it. I'd browse Toys'r us and amazon and check reviews... I know that some sets are not great sometimes too, even if the brand itself is good.

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I got the KidKraft Ride Around Town set. The price was easier to swallow than the Thomas table (and I got it practically free with my Amazon reward points), it came with a bunch of pieces, and it's compatible with the Thomas Wooden Railway cars (my guys love Thomas). I like it because it's got 2 tubs that fit under the table to store all the pieces in. :good: It's also pretty sturdy; both boys have ended up sitting on it at the same time, and it didn't bow or break.

ETA: The helicopter in the set came with one of the rotors broken off; I contacted KidKraft via email and they sent me a replacement free of charge within a week. So I can vouch for their customer service. :)

4. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I just bought the Thomas the Tank Engine grow with me table from Toys r us. It has one side (flat surface) with the tracks cut in to it so no tracks to build, then you can flip over the table and it's a flat surface with no tracks cut in to it so you can build a train train set on it. It's fairly new so not too many reviews, but the reviews it has is good.

I saw the Imaginarium table. It looked very good and the trains and tracks come with the table! I'd have gotten that one but my husband didn't like the color of the wood. The Thomas one was blue and colorful, so we didn't have to worry about matching wood colors. Besides, He had already bought a Thomas set that talks, so he wanted a chance to use it.