training pants vs. underwear

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, May 8, 2010.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I'm going to really start working on PTing after our trip to Michigan in mid-June. I was in Target this morning and decided to look at underwear and saw there were Gerber training pants there as well. What's the difference? The training pants looked thicker. What did you use and why?

2. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

hi beth, long time no hear ;)

my friend used the underwear that are lined a bit thicker, she said they just absorb a little pee a bit in case they start going, if it's a bigger pee, they don't help much either.

we only use regular underwear and we also never used the pull ups, personally I think it's too confusing for kids, first diaper, then pull up, then underwear. we switched from diapers straight to regular undies and they never have an accident.
    on the go, I have the 2 in 1 potette and I just always have extra undies and shorts in my bag.

good luck and hope all is well ! I'll post my successful 5 days "potty-learning" story of mine soon in the sticky forum.

alexa

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I have training pants. The main thing for me is that they help keep the mess somewhat contained. Now if it's a big pee it still may leak, but it's much more absorbent than underwear. Plus, they can wear them for underwear when they are trained.

4. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

When we first started we used the training pants with rubber pants over top. It somewhat contained accidents. After they started to get the hang of it, we dropped the rubber pants, but kept the training pants. I was glad that we used them. We didn't switch to regular underwear until we were confident that they were potty trained.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We switched from diapers to regular underwear. The training pants are thicker, but I didn't see the value in buying them since I knew I'd be cleaning up pee messes no matter what my girls wore. The only thing I didn't want to do was use pull-ups as many of my friends have said they confuse the kids and can be used as a crutch by mom and dad (not saying that everyone who uses pull ups is wrong, they just weren't right for us).

6. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We went straight to underwear. Usually if my kids have an accident it's because they've been holding it for too long, so there's no way anything would contain it! I also didn't want to spend the $ on something that would be so short-lived. And I'm doing laundry all the time anyway, so it doesn't matter if I have to throw a few more things in sometimes.

7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

You know they can wear them as underwear. As funny as this sounds, I actually remember having training pants as underwear when I was a kid. LOL! I must of been 4 or 5 because that's when most of my early memories are from.

8. emcavaco

emcavaco Active Member

We used the training pants and still do. I also bought some trainers with the cotton/terry inner and waterproof outer (www.pottyscotty.com) for them to use at daycare until they stopped having accidents. We only used pull ups for naps and bedtime and now we use overnight trainers with the waterproof outer (also from potty scotty). This system has worked really well and they were trained quickly. I still use the trainers as underwear because they contain little accidents (sometimes they will barely start to go, then run for the potty and finish) and also because they seem to be more comfortable to them. I have a bunch of regular underwear, but they don't like the band at the top of the regular ones - they are kind of in between sizes so undies are a smidge on the tight side since loose underwear is no good :) ... so we use the trainers all the time.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We used both training pants and regular underwear. And the girls still love their 'comfy undies.'

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We just used underwear here. :good:

11. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We just got DD potty trained. We went straight to big girl panties. A friend of mine told me just to put them in undies for a week....she said, give it a week and they will get tired of being wet and will start going on the potty. It took 2 1/2 days. On day 3, no accidents!! We still put her in a diaper at night. However, the last 3-4 mornings she has woken up completely dry. If she can stay a week, completely dry at night, we will probably cut out diapers all together.

12. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We used the training pants for a little while for dd, but that was only b/c she's SO tiny that when she was ready to PT none of the regular panties fit her! The training pants seemed to come a little smaller.

To me, they're a little too close to diapers to be very effective. They're going to have accidents & you actually want them to feel it. Plus, a big part of the excitement for my kids was getting to choose their "big kid panties" with their favorite characters on them. The training pants don't have anything special on them, so they weren't as excited to wear them.

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We went straight from diapers to underwear, and didn't switch until the kids chose to wear underwear.

I bought some training pants in case they had problems with accidents when we were out of the house, just so they wouldn't get so wet. But we wound up never using them. When they did have accidents, they were almost always in our own house.

We still use pull-ups for nighttime, but never used them as a training aid -- just as big-kid diapers that are easier for them to get on & off by themselves.

14. beverly55

beverly55 Member

I still decided for myself that underwear is more beautiful, and even at night I'm sure that I will look attractive. But now there is a quarantine and I don't know where to buy high-quality and beautiful underwear.

15. piko33

piko33 Member

Hello, I totally agree with you. I think that it is necessary to be beautiful not only during the day. I have long found a great store for myself, where I have been buying underwear for many months. There are also many accessories that will emphasize your femininity. You can buy harness lingerie on MarieMur.com. I am sure that you will not regret it.

16. Ckarl

Ckarl Member

I don’t know which is better to be honest, but personally I’m looking for an online store with shirts, haha, does anyone know where you can buy a cool shirt on the Internet inexpensively and with fast delivery to your home? I will be grateful for the answer!

17. Sarach

Sarach Active Member

Glad to see you here! Recently, I was also looking for shirts for my dad in the online store and, unfortunately, I could not find anything good. My friend suggested me one good online store, where I was finally able to find what my dad was looking for. If you are looking for a store with quality things then you are here Gitman Vintage – a fine, American made shirt collection, there is a large assortment of clothes that you may need and all clothes from good brands!