trampoline recs

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ilovemykids, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

my LOs will be 5 soon and we are thinking of buying them a trampoline as their bday gift.
    any trampoline recs?  there are so many and i'm overwhelmed!  definitely want one with a net around it.

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Check your home owners insurance--- it may go up if you own a trampoline due to the risk of injury.

We had a small indoor one person trampoline that was suggested by our pediatric PT when girls were 2, but at 5 they were older.

If possible, I would use the $ to pay for gymnastic lessons or free gym passes--- safer and teachers can help them learn to bounce safely.

If you do get one, I would suggest a round smaller one with a net that only allows one jumper at a time and a name brand.

1 person likes this.
  3. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Yes, it probably does raise insurance.  BUT, it sure is fun!!  We have one...a large one.  With a net.  And rules.  And if they break the rules they lose the trampoline.  They enjoy it so much, and they can use it year round.  It's great exercise, it brings out their creativity (they make up "shows" all the time...with songs and dances), and yes, it's dangerous.  And a decision that can't be made lightly regarding that.  But, I let my kids climb trees, hammer and saw wood, do all kinds of dangerous kid stuff!!

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I was a gymnast throughout my childhood and a coach in college and I won't own a tramp. If you want one (and many people own them, so I don't think they're always dangerous) I would recommend a tramp course for the kids to understand safety and the risks.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

There is no way I would ever own a trampoline. Falling out of a tree ain't got nothing on the dangers of a trampoline. And no amount of rules will remove the possibility of a bad bounce.

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Our yard is too hilly for one - and I'm thankful for that!

7. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

It isn't just an issue of raising insurance rates.  Some will just drop you cold if they find a trampoline on the property.  I'm another one that will never own a trampoline.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Add me to the never own one list!  I have seen too many broken legs and severe ankle injuries to ever have one.  A friend of mine worked in an emergency room and said they saw many, many injuries as the result of a trampoline, much more than those from falling out of a tree or even off a bike.

9. ECUBitzy

I knew a of a tramp gymnast from the gym I coached at (though this happened two years later, so I didn't know the kid) who was an elite level competitor and he broke his neck and is now crippled. And he ABSOLUTELY understood how to tramp safely.

10. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Omg Stephanie, that's just awful!!!

11. ECUBitzy

He was 17. It was so sad!

12. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:( that's so sad steph! Add me to the list of never evers! They make me so uncomfortable! I do let them play on them if we go somewhere else but not being on it all the time puts a healthy fear in them;)
    We have a mini one in our basement. One at a time kind;)

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have one, some of my requirements were a net that attaches to the mat itself, not the frame, so there is no gap between the mat and the net.  The springs are attached on the outside of the net so no legs will get caught in them.  I wanted a heavy duty steel frame not aluminum.  Ours is staked down with long stakes and using swingset chains not rope so it won't go anywhere, and the chains are bolted to the stake and around the frame, again so it's not moving anywhere.  I do allow the kids to bounce on it together, but they are all very careful when there is more than one kid on it.  My kids love it, it's good exercise for them, and they can use it year round.  I was initially against getting one, but I have a few friends who have them and they kids have an absolute blast on it.  We made sure to put ours under the trees so hopefully the net won't dry rot too fast, if it does I'll buy a new net for it.

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We do a lot of tree climbing around here, swinging on playground equipment,  etc. But a trampoline is just too high up the dangerous scale for us. As others, I have heard horror stories about kids & adults getting hurt and/or neighbors kids getting hurt and suing the neighbors. 

Fun- yes, but not worth it to us. We have an indoor trampoline place nearby and wont go to it after 3 or 4 kids broke their legs/arms the first year it was open. It is staffed by gymnastic instructors but too many people  not knowing how to land safely and/or what is/isnt safe on the trampolines. 

Plenty of other ways to get a lot of exercise & have fun.

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Your insurance rates just won't go up, your company may drop you due to the liability.  Add me to the "not on your life" list...

16. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

We got ours from Jump Sport if you are still interested.  I supervise my kids on it and we have clear rules surrounding its use.  They have had a blast playing games on it and it's been great exercise for them.  I do understand the concern over having one...Good luck with you decision. 

17. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

How about a bounce house instead? There are still the dangers of collision and landing awkwardly but they can't get as much 'air', no hard metal parts and the floor is attached to the walls. We set ours up in the carport to lessen the chance of a big wind moving it (you can use sandbags instead of stakes to anchor it) and pack it away when they're finished.