Transitioning from purees to table food...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by silver_stardust, Sep 17, 2009.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

When do you start just feeding them table food?? We are constantly trying new things but they seem much more apt to eat just the purees. I'm okay with that for now and just curious when most switch over to our food.

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

By 1 yr my oldest kids were no longer eating baby food at all. I think if you wait too long they will be more likely to balk at trying "chunks" because it's more work to chew them that it is the puree's.

Have you tried a combination, say giving them small pieces of macaroni to munch on and when they seem full or disinterested, top them off with some applesauce or something?

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

By 1 year, my two were eating no pureed food. I started with Puffs & Cheerios and when they were good at getting those in their mouths went to fruits, veggies, cheese, then gradually started giving them the same food we were eating, but even now, I supplement their dinners quite often with things I know they will eat. So, I give them whatever we are eating, plus I give them a slice of cheese & a piece of bread, then after dinner I always give them fruit and, if they didn't eat much of their dinner I give them yogurt. That way I know they have eaten something at least.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine at purees all the way until they were 13 months old. They also ate table food and toward the end I just topped them off with purees. It was a gradual process for us.

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I started giving them well cooked chunks of sweet potatoes and carrots and such that would "melt" in their mouths and for them to be able to grab and put in themselves. if they are slippery, you can coat in wheat germ or something...

I still "fill ours up" sometimes with a mix of lentils & yogurt or cottage cheese etc... not really baby food, but still nice and easy to spoon feed them.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still use yogurt as the "filler food" of my 3 and 7 yr old don't eat enough. They always seem to have room for yogurt! ;)

7. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

The twins were off all baby food by about 10 mos. I would still spoon feed things like yogurt and applesauce, but everything they ate was "regular" food. I started at about 7 mos putting things like puffs and cheerios on the highchair tray while I was getting their food ready. Once they got pretty good at picking those up I moved to other things. I just let them try bits and pieces of things and when they were doing well with a variety of things I just stopped feeding pureed food all together.

8. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

we started going heavier on the table foods around 10.5 months, they were self feeding well at that age and were less interested in eating off the spoon. now we are almost totally on regular food but i do still top them off with a jar of something or a veggie puree at dinner since they don't really like eating regular veggies yet. i also like to spoon feed them a little because it is hard to believe that a handful of diced meat/veg/fruit can really fill them up...

9. Addy Fern

Addy Fern Member

wow, most of the people who posted had a success story! geez, i gotta upgrade my mommy skills!

well, my girls are a yr old and only one likes the sippy cup! the other thinks is fun to shake it and throw it and squeeze the top so the milk falls on her face and everywhere else haha. she even chokes on cooked carrots!

im just taking it day by day, guess all babies develop differently, guess mine are the slow type :)

so if you're baby by the age of 1 isnt self-feeding or eating table food, dont feel bad! but start trying! and consistancy is the key!

lil encouragement!