transitioning to table food?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rhc0607, Apr 6, 2010.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

My LOs are bottomless pits! They EACH have 4 8oz bottles, 3 4oz jars of baby food, and puffs/crunchies everyday. They drink their bottles within 5-10 minutes because they act like they are starving. I am wondering if I should start transitioning them to more table food to help them stay fuller longer. Even though they both eat a ton, Reece is only around the 25% for weight and Spencer is not even on the chart right now. They do eat yogurt, cheese, cheerios, crackers, but I wanted to start giving them more table food.

They will be 9 months next Tuesday, so do you think it is ok?

2. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

By 9 months my boys were pretty much on all table food, but I still use stage 2 veggies to supplement their diet. They ate oatmeal with fruit or pancakes or frozen waffles for breakfast; pasta, veggies, potatoes, pretty much anything for lunch and dinner and snack was usually yogurt. I did have to puree their meats for a while, but before long they were eating ground turkey and beef.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's fine-especially seeing how they are already eating some table foods. By nine months, my boys were pretty much on all table foods!

And-can I get your kids to switch their eating habits with my daughter-and I'll give you her weight?!?! LOL!

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it would be fine to start giving the more table foods but, since they are relatively small, I would make sure they are still taking all of their formula even if they start eating more table food.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would also do the transition. What about giving them more formula to see if that helps with the hunger? Can you give them an extra "snack" bottle while they are in their highchairs?

6. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

For table food right now we do yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese (only K will eat this), rice, rice pasta, and real oatmeal. I am going to start making smoothies for them this week. I'm not in any hurry to transition them to all table food. I enjoy making their food and don't mind if its a little extra work. At 9 months I am going to add in olives (my niece loves them!) which need to be sliced of course. If you want to add in more table food, definitely do it. You know if they are ready :) Also, if they are taking in that much formula, I wouldn't be worried about their lower weights. Some babies are just smaller or take longer to grow. My pedi always says, "somebody has got to be in the bottom 50%!" My girls only take in 20-24 oz formula a day but they eat probably 6-8oz of solid food 3 times a day (I'm not sure of the exact amount since I make my own baby food).

Good luck :)