transitioning, What age for only table food- POLL

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsohmy, Feb 21, 2007.

1. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

We are transitioning from baby jarred food to table food. Kind of in between right now.

So I was wondering if we are behind or average as far as transitioning.

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I said 15 months+, because I still occasionally give Sarah a jar of veggies. She is picky about table foods but will happily eat almost anything pureed, so I keep giving them to her because otherwise she could go days without eating a green veggie. Also, both girls eat a lot of yogurt and it is easier to mix in a jar of baby food fruit than to puree other fruits myself.

But other than those fairly small things (which adds up to maybe 2 jars a week), they've been on all table foods since about 13 months. That was the age at which Sarah started eating at least something besides bread. (Amy was on all table foods more like 11-12 months.)

FWIW, my sense (based on people I've talked to IRL and on other sites) is that moms on twinstuff seem to transition to all table foods a bit earlier than average.

3. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]I didn't vote, b/c we're stuck in transition h*ll ourselves (11.5 mos).

I'm so frustrated and anxious b/c it's much more experience than sustenance. They are getting little to no nutritional value from our solids feeding (refusing purees, but not really SWALLOWING much). I'm so nervous about moving to milk & weaning bottles when I feel they are getting nothing else of value.

So, I'd love to see what advice folks have on this subject.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls were on all table food by 9 months. I(them also) hate baby food.

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

My memory is awful, but I think it was around 13/14 months or so. They started protesting the jarred stuff so I stopped giving it to them.

6. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

My girls were off pureed foods by 10 months, maybe even a little bit earlier than that. You just have to keep offering stuff, and eventually they'll get it. I remember at about 9 months or so thinking they would never be able to eat anything that wasn't pureed, unless it was something like a graham cracker that they could hold on to with their little fists. But all of a sudden they're pincer grasp improved and they were suddenly great eaters, and they would eat anything I gave them. I guess at some point you just stop giving them pureed food and only give them table food - eventually they'll eat because that's all there is. But I think that's a drastic measure that you wouldn't try until they're much older than 12 months!

Good luck [​IMG]

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't vote either because we are still in transition. Emilie gets about 3/4 table food 1/4 baby food, but Trevor is probably 1/2 baby food 1/2 table food. Trevor is very picky about what he eats. He'll put things in his mouth and spit them back out. One day he'll eat something and the next day he won't. Emilie will eat anything off of her tray.

8. latb611

latb611 Well-Known Member

I voted for 14-15 months but that was only b/c my girls were 9 weeks premature.

9. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

The twins were around 10mo, Brandon by 9mo, and I can't remember with DD.

10. mbcrox

mbcrox Well-Known Member

My boys are 16 mo and I occasionally use jar food. They never would eat the 3rd foods but loved to feed themselves table food from the tray instead. I use jar food occassionaly for my own convenience although they are boycotting most of it now! Mary

11. 40+mom

40+mom Well-Known Member

I'm at 11.5 months too and also "transitioning" (similar situation to to PP). My DD is ready to go with table foods, but my DS is struggling (really struggling) with choking/vomiting on anything but stage 2 and purees. He even chokes on soft banana and soft bits of avocado (and puffs and cheerios). Sigh!

I'm beginning to think that his reflux (which we thought he had outgrown) is playing a role in all of this.

Good luck with the table foods!

40+mom

12. twinsohmy

Thanks everyone. DD won't take #3 foods too well, spits out the chinks. DS does OK with them. But DD does do finger foods okay so hopefully soon we will be done with the baby food. DD is very light weight (16 lbs) and I don't want her to not get enough so I find I am offering probably way too many options per meal to get her to eat.

13. SandyKay

SandyKay Well-Known Member

I switched mine later than most because my kids all got their teeth later than most. They did not get their first tooth until about 12 months old so I had to wait until they had several in to switch.

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

twinsohmy-I just wanted to say that my DD is only 16 lbs. 13 oz. and she is the better eater of the two of them. She will eat anything I put in front of her. I just keep offering until they both stop eating to make sure they are getting enough since they only get a bedtime bottle now.

15. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We started babyfood at 6.5 months. I started giving soft pieces instead of purees at 9 months when the pincer grasp was good enough to do so and then they started refusing purees at 10 months. They're very into doing things themselves -- they were grabbing the spoon at their first cereal feeding. I joke that they're a couple of little control freaks, just like their "gotta have the remote" Daddy! [​IMG]

16. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I voted before 12 months, but I think it was really like 11-11.5 months, so just barely. [​IMG] We didn't do jarred foods, just homemade purees, so I can't really compare, but basically I was just doing larger chunks and eventually just didn't have any more veggie cubes in my freezer, so I just stopped giving them. By that time the purees were totally more of a sideshow than the main attraction, so it was pretty seamless. For a while I just cut everything into teeny tiny pieces or just steamed the veggies almost beyond recognition so it'd be easy for them to eat, and just kept gradually moving up to bigger pieces and firmer textures.

17. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

My girls refused to eat any baby food starting at around 9 months. It was difficult at first to find enough table food that they could eat, but they would cry and knock the spoon out of your hand if we tried to give them baby food. I was so tired of being covered in baby food, so we just gave up.

18. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Between 9 and 10 mo. we were on all table foods here. Mine refused the baby foods at that point.

19. twinsohmy

These last couple days we've done lots of table food and just followed up with a jar if I felt they really didn't eat enough. I am concerned about DD's weight and we go for a re-check on it in 5 weeks so we'll see how that goes. They are still breastfeeding and transitioning more to whole milk, they both seem to like whole milk (and cold, too) so I am grateful for that!

20. abbymarie

abbymarie Well-Known Member

Mine didn't start to get teeth till they were 10 months old...and they were very happy with mommy's milk well after they were a year old...they didn't wean till almost 2. So I'd have to say they were around 18 months when they really became interested in more then just fun finger foods. I know that doesn't really count as "baby" food...but just thought I'd share. We never really did much in the way of pureed foods. They never cared for the jar foods and never ate meat till they had teeth to handle it.

21. charmingtwins

charmingtwins Well-Known Member

At 9 months, I started making my girls food. They were completely off the Gerber by 9 1/2 months.

22. twinsohmy

Abby,
    We are still BFing too, but weaning. Down to 3-4 times a day.
    Did your girls have any weight gain issues due to not having many solids until later than most?
    I am just wondering because my DD is little and not gaining/growing well and the pedi wants her to have more solis and whole milk.
    We have a follow-up in 5 weeks to see if she is doing better.
    I was planning to wean around this point anyway. They both are losing interest in most feedings but the 1st AM and the bedtme feed.

TIA! [​IMG]