Transverse Twin & Pain

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Michelle B, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

At my ultrasound last week, the sonographer said that Baby A is transverse and that Baby B is breech. They are still kicking me in the same places, so I am assuming that they are still in the same positions.

This week, it feels like transverse Baby A has really nestled deeply into my pelvis. My dd was always vertex, so I never experienced this sensation. It is very uncomfortable to sit down because I feel like I am squeezing my belly/baby between my legs. Driving yesterday was actually painful, between the sitting position and the seatbelt resting on my lower abdomen. I tried to sit on my step stool and give my dd a bath last night and it was so hard to do! [​IMG]

I'm not quite 24 wks yet, and already my stomach is really getting in the way. Has anyone else experience this? It is because Baby A is transverse or just another one of the normal experiences of a twin pregnancy? [​IMG]

2. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

At my ultrasound last week, the sonographer said that Baby A is transverse and that Baby B is breech. They are still kicking me in the same places, so I am assuming that they are still in the same positions.

This week, it feels like transverse Baby A has really nestled deeply into my pelvis. My dd was always vertex, so I never experienced this sensation. It is very uncomfortable to sit down because I feel like I am squeezing my belly/baby between my legs. Driving yesterday was actually painful, between the sitting position and the seatbelt resting on my lower abdomen. I tried to sit on my step stool and give my dd a bath last night and it was so hard to do! [​IMG]

I'm not quite 24 wks yet, and already my stomach is really getting in the way. Has anyone else experience this? It is because Baby A is transverse or just another one of the normal experiences of a twin pregnancy? [​IMG]

3. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I don't know much about how the position of the babies affects discomfort, but I'm only a little bit further than you, 25 weeks, and my belly is definately in the way already! I just took a shower and was very proud of myself for my attempt at shaving my legs! Hopefully someone will post some helpful advice for you.
    Helen

4. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the discomfort. My babies are in the same position as yours. Fortunately, they will begin to move a lot. Hopefully, they will shift and provide more comfort. My baby A (boy) is so low that I believe my bladder is his personal pillow.

The only advice that I can give is what I did when I was uncomfortable is to sit like a basketball player [​IMG]. Not very lady like but putting my knees to the side and letting the belly rest in the middle provided much relief.

Sometimes I will massage my stomach lightly with lotion and that helps excite the babies and they move around.

Other than that, I had the experience that you are having. Not to say it is normal, haha, but your belly is only going to get bigger.
    It is all worth it to know that they babies are growing and getting stronger.

Good Luck!! [​IMG]

5. Marie_B

Marie_B Well-Known Member

The RN in the twins class I attended said that if the babies' position is making you so uncomfortable, try using a bag of peas or cold compress in that area to make the baby move. And no, it wont hurt the baby one bit.

Hope this helps.

6. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I agree with pp's -- use cold (or a heating pad) to encourage your babies to change positions and/or sit like a man with legs spread so you feel you're giving them more room. When I started sitting man-style, about your gestation, it was fun getting teased/joking about my 'ladylike behavior' w/family and friends [​IMG]

My guys are around 6# each now [​IMG] killing me much of the time so I use cold & heat to coax their little feet out from under my ribs just to catch my breath. I'm so desperate sometimes I feel like it's me vs. them!!

7. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I wanted to post this exact same thing! My twins are both transverse with both heads on my right hand side. It is so crowded if I have a BH you can see my left side just be deflated and the right side look like quasimodo's back. It hurts to lay on my right side because there are two heads there that want to push up into my lungs. I have to lay on my left side to be any kind of comfortable. I am trying to arch my back because I am thinking it may give them more room. I know if I hunch over or bend it REALLY feels uncomfortable and makes me vomit a little in my throat even. Lovely, huh? I'm 25 weeks (almost 26) and hoping the move to vertex or breech even while they still can. The transverse makes laying down seem impossible for you...I can't even imagine MORE pressure on the bladder like you probably have. I already pee every 30 minutes [​IMG]

8. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't have a choice, I have to sit man-style because I am carrying so low. And I feel your pain, my baby A is headdown right in my pelvis and B is transverse on top of her, and sometimes the pressure/pain in my pelvis is intense, especially at night, when I try to move positions in bed.

I actually find the opposite true too, baby B is right under my ribs (the head literally tucked under them and the spine curling under them) and when I'm driving or sitting sometimes I have to arch my back out, because if I slouch I can feel pressure and uncomfortable in my upper abdomen.

Aren't twin pregnancies fun!!!

9. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

My girls are both transverse just like Marbear with their heads on my right side. It's insane the amount of pain and discomfort they can cause me. I also can't lie unless its on my left side. My right side is out of the question and I last about 5 minutes on my back. I have one baby down close to my bladder and one baby who has taken up residence in my rib cage. I actually felt a strong and definite kick in my back last night! It is crazy. I haven't tried applying cold yet, but my laptop gets really warm and I've put that right on top of them before and it works like a charm! (for a few minutes)

Laura

10. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

I'm also feeling the belly is VERY in the way, have to spread my legs to sit, can't bend over and we're exactly the same amount pregnant. My babies aren't transverse (as far as I know- they switched positions from one u/s to the next so that Baby A is really Baby B now, but they're not changing their 'labels' for continutity's sake.) I don't know how bad this is going to get in the end, but I'm guessing bad. Oh well- think of how relieved we'll be when they're out!

11. AWillow

AWillow Well-Known Member

My boys are both head down. But one of them is very very low. So low that the sonographers are always surprised.
    Anyway. I feel the baby A (the low one) almost all the time. I feel just like you. When I sit, and my legs touch my belly, he actully punches at my legs until I move them. The only thing that works for me is to either sit like man, or to lean way back.
    I've stopped driving, and just ride in the passenger side with the seat reclined now.

I haven't tried encoureging them to move with the hot or cold packs, because I figure they have such little space that asking them to move isn't fair.

Hope you find a comfy position and feel better.

12. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I have to say i am laughing out loud at all your comments - with sympathy, but they are hilarious to read (of course, i'm just 18 weeks and still waiting to really feel them move - i get the feeling that i should be careful waht i ask for!)

as for sitting like a man - well, i think 'ladylike' has more to do with whether you're wearing a skirt and want to give everyone a peep show - and at this point in your twin pregnancies, you can darn well sit however makes you comfortable!

i love the tip about ice packs, though - i'm filing that one for later use! both of mine are transverse, but they're still so small and have plenty of time to move - i've made up a song that i sing to them, it goes "Vertex, vertex, everybody's heads DOWN! Mommy needs you to turn around!"

I know, i'm NOT well - but i attribute it to pregnancy!