Traveling and food and milk with 13 month olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MeredithMM, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

We are taking a trip next week and will be gone for a week. For the first part of the trip we will be in one hotel, but for the second half we will be staying a different place each night. The boys are used to traveling every now and then for a night or two, so I think that part will go okay (or as okay as those things can!haha!)

But what I am really confused about is how to give them their milk every day and what kind of portable snacks and foods I can take with us.

We won't have access to a fridge all the time, so how can we handle the milk situation? Also, any ideas for great healthy travel foods for kids?

TIA!

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Walmart carries a milk that does not have to be kept cool its in a juice box type container

3. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Will you be eating out? We carry empty sippies and order milk at the restaurant. Animal crackers, goldfish, bananas, cheerios, string cheese are staples for us when we need portable foods.

4. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

We travel a lot and are going on a 3 week trip on Tuesday! My girls only drink warm milk (spoiled!) and we do it as soon as they wake up and right before they go to bed. If we are out, I have to order warm milk from a coffee place normally. Snacks that are great are dried fruit (this way I feel like I am not just giving them grain), goldfish, graham crackers, freeze-dried yogurt, and veggie strips (bell peppers mostly). I haven't tried the milk that doesn't have to be refridgerated, but that may be awesome! My girls are excellent at eating pretty much anything so I can always find something for them at a restaurant.

5. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips!

Our boys are great at eating pretty much anything, but we won't be able to eat out much because we are going to be on a very tight budget.

Wow! Milk that does not have to be kept cold?!?! Have to look into that.
    Thanks!

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I know Costco sells the Horizon "juice box" type of milk containers that are vacuum packed and don't need refrigeration. We also have ordered milk from restaurants and put it into sippies. Note that a lot of restaurants only carry lowfat milk; I don't know if that's a concern, but it's something to be aware of.

As far as portable snacks, I'd do a lot of crackers (either goldfish in baggies, or Annie's Organics makes snack packs of assorted flavors of "bunny crackers" that are handy), dried fruit (raisins, craisins), fresh fruit (apples, blueberries, pears, grapes, etc.), cheese (string, slices, or brick), or even peanut butter and jam for a heartier snack. You could also do hummus and slivers of carrot and celery if your LOs enjoy that. :good:

I hope you have a great trip! :)

7. Reeny691

Reeny691 Well-Known Member

I haven't had it but there is milk you don't have to refridgerate. My stepfather is from Brazil and non of their milk is sold cold. I think its called Parmalt.GL

8. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We travel pretty often with the kids and I think their favorite car snacks are Cheerios, Goldfish, and Raisins. Sometimes I'll make up little individual bags of "trail mix" for them and I'll just mix those things in there. (I use the snack size bags or sometimes the sandwich size when I do that.) That makes getting it out much easier. I can just grab a bag and hand it to them. I'll also sometimes get something they haven't had in a long time and let them munch on something different for a change.

If you have a small cooler or ice chest you could also keep ice in that with their milk. Though milk that doesn't keep to be kept cold would be really easy!

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Horizon Organic makes milk that comes in 8oz cartons and doesn't need to be refrigerated. It's considerably more expensive than regular milk though (amazon has it for $23 for 18 8oz cartons), you might be better off getting a room with a fridge for the first part of the trip. For the second part, I don't know how you will eat as you said you won't eat out, but you'll have to get food somewhere so I'd just get some milk there also... but either way your kids will be fine if they don't drink much milk for a couple days.

For snacks we usually bring cheerios, kix, graham crackers, bananas, goldfish. Cheese is ok if it's going to be kept in the fridge overnight but I wouldn't be comfortable giving cheese that has been out for more than 4 hours (of course, if it's going to stay in the car in the winter that would be fine too).

10. ~Toni~

~Toni~ Member

We just moved, we spent 3 days traveling. I bought 2 thermos' from target(about $20 each) and they worked great keeping milk warm or cold for long periods of time. For snacks I got little snack cups to keep the snacks from dumping out everywhere. Our girls like the organic puffs, honey graham cracker sticks, dried fruit! Good luck! Have a great trip.

11. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I travel, and still travel with my kids a lot, and instead of buying milk, I look for a good deal on infant formula and take formula with me. I pre-fill their sippies with water and use pre-measured containers for the formula. It's easy, and depending on the deal I find on formula, can be cheaper than milk. I hope that helps. It's by far the easiest way I could figure out how to save on milk, not worry about milk going bad, and travel with only one container (a can of formula versus cartons milk).