Traveling at 21 or 22 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MAMarie, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MAMarie

MAMarie Member

I am being asked by my employer to travel when I am 21 weeks or 22 weeks. I am only at 9 weeks now, so I am really not sure how I will feel at that point. The trip will be to Singapore, which would require over 30+ hours each way --- and most of them on an airplane.

Do any of you travel for work? Would you have felt up to this at 21/22 weeks?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I need to let them know tomorrow.

Marie

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I personally would not do it. That is a long trip and you don't know how you will be feeling at that point. Plus what if something were to happen over there. I do have to say that I felt great at 21 and 22 weeks, but by 24w somehow things went really wrong for me, and I had no idea.

Of course you will need to check with your OB anyway, to get his/her thinking on it. But personally I would pass on it.

3. andreanhoward

andreanhoward Active Member

I moved from the United States to England at 21 weeks. Although I booked a plane ticket etc. I was going to stay behind if anything went wrong. I had appointment the day before we left. It was actually the perfect time for me to travel, I wasnt sick anymore, but I wasnt so huge that I was uncomfortable either. I say as long as your doctor thinks everything looks okay and okays it then you should be fine.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I went on bedrest at 21 weeks exactly.

I would talk to your Dr. He/she may advise against/for it...as every pregnancy is different. Knowing that- I would talk to your boss about a plan 'b' if you should not be advised to go by your Dr. Even if you get approval now---it may be reconsidered in 10 weeks, a lot can change. That said---lots of twin mommys travel up to 32 weeks.

Everyone is different, it is hard to know now what situation you will be in in a few months.

5. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

I'm 21 weeks right now and I'm sooo uncomfortable I can't sit that long with out feeling like my hips were going break. I would def check with your OB before.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Marie, I was approved by my OB to travel from the West Coast to the East Coast for a week long business trip at 21 weeks.

If I had to make the decision all over again, I would not have gone on the trip. The four hour flight was quite easy. It's the rest of the trip that wore me down. I had an uneventful pregnancy, but by 21 weeks I was achy enough and not sleeping wonderfully that a change in my routine wasn't a good thing. On the business trip, I didn't have the ability to rest when I needed, and I was stuck sitting in meetings all day. That definately made me ache more. I didn't sleep well in the hotel even though I brought my body pillow with me. I wasn't able to snack throughout the day as I had been doing, and I had to put on a happy face even when I was achy and all I wanted to do was go back to the hotel and sleep.

I managed to make it through the trip, but it was certainly the toughest week of my pregnancy.

7. Carols3boysplus2

Carols3boysplus2 Well-Known Member

I agree with the other girls, ask your Dr. I traveled when I was 18 weeks pg, it was an 8 hour flight, and I was VERY uncomfortable, I don´t think I could´ve managed a 30 hour flight!

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I made a transatlantic at 24-26 weeks ... in business though and to Singapore, I wouldn't go if it wasn't business. Not sure where you're located but a direct from most places in the US takes about 16 hours or so (average) so it kind of depends on where you are. I wouldn't settle for a cheaper alternative that makes the trip even longer ...

9. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I traveled 10 hours to Ecuador at 17 weeks. It was exhausting (awake for 24 hours) but not too uncomfortable. I made sure to get up and walk lots during the flight, stretch and I drank lots of water.

10. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I traveled 18 hours from Bulgaria to Nebraska at about 20 weeks. It was business class, which was essential to feeling good. I had lots of leg room and beverages. I had no choice but to make the trip as I was moving from Bulgaria to Mexico. (And I also didn't know yet that twins were cooking). I then went on to drive from Nebraska to Wisconsin at 22 weeks. Then fly WI to Washington DC at about 25 weeks. THen fly Washington DC to MExico at 26-27 weeks. Then fly Mexico to Nebraska at 32 weeks. During that whole time, I had access to top-notch medical care in English.

My biggest concern for you would be medical care if something should go wrong, but Singapore has some of the best medical care in the world. If you decide to do the trip, insist on business class for the extra space.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I would not have done that at 22 weeks and I don't think my doctor would have approved it.

I did fly to Switzerland (one 8-hr flight and one 2-hr flight each way) when I was 17-19 weeks, and that was OK. But it was uncomfortable, I had to wear pressure stockings on the plane, I got headaches and couldn't take anything for them, and it was a struggle finding enough to eat all the time while traveling. And my ILs even paid for my upgrade to go business class -- it would have been much worse in coach.

Plus, I was on vacation. I took naps every day, DH was with me to carry the luggage, and I knew he would be there if I did need emergency medical care. (I also made a point of making sure my insurance covered emergencies out of the U.S. -- you should check this too.) On a business trip, none of those things would be true.

16-20 weeks was when I felt the best during the whole pregnancy, and I started feeling really big and uncomfortable within a couple of weeks after the trip. So you may still be feeling good by 21-22 weeks, but you may not.

12. MAMarie

MAMarie Member

Thank you for all your responses!

Based on the fact that my company won't cover the difference between coach and business class and the fact my doctor couldn't approve the travel this early in my pregnacy, I am not going to commit to going. I think it is the best decision I can make at this point, although it was made more difficult by the fact that no one actually knew I am pregnant. It was also really the first time that the fact I am having twins has impacted my doing something. Up until now I haven't had many symptoms, so for the first time they feel real and something I am responsible for.

13. christiedawntoews

christiedawntoews Active Member

Not to be discouraging but at 22 weeks and 2 days was when I was put on bedrest for funneling of my cervix. Till then I had no major problems (besides being sick for 8 weeks at the beginning) So things can change in a hurry. I was at the beach swimming on Monday and the next day at my appt. I was put on bedrest.

14. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I went to Hawaii at about 23 weeks and it wasn't difficult at all. I didn't even know I had twins until 19 weeks though and I was still feeling fine until about 28 weeks. If you don't want to take the trip, you can always say you can't but it's probably not too much of a problem if you haven't had any complications and take a few precautions. Definitely get up and walk around at least every two hours and drink tons of water. Also take some healthy snacks because you'll need them to keep your energy up. If you can bring an eyeshade, blanket, neck pillow, and white noise headphones you'll get a little more sleep.

Since it is a business trip and you are pregnant, definitely insist on business class seats and the shortest, most direct flight possible. You also shouldn't be walking all around Singapore and care should be taken with your comfort during the day.

One very important thing to consider is the very small possibility that you could end up in the hospital during your trip and be stuck there. There are very few women who go to hospital bedrest at that point but it's always possible. I had no problem being stuck in Hawaii ;) though so it wasn't much of an issue for me.