tried orajel and motrin

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Dec 31, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

he slept for only 30 mins!!!!!!!
    i am at my wits end, lol. really. :headbang:

i just HOPE and PRAY he sleeps tonight! his brother slept the entire night and my one LO did not sleep a wink. he only napped in my arms and i was able to put him down twice. he napped for 30 mins laying down by himself and woke up screaming.

now tonight do i try the orajel and the motrin again?
    i am not sure if he's teething. this is confusing stuff people, LOL!!!!!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd try it again. You could try the Hyland Teething tablets as well.

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I would stick with the motrin if you're sure that's what it is... Could it possibly be gas? Motrin can make that worse (at least with my kids).
    I also heard that orajel only helps once the teeth come in but not when all that is showing is still gum, not sure where I heard that but it always stuck. I have heard the teething tablets work wonders though!
    :grouphug: I hope you all are able to get some well deserved sleep very soon!!

4. newtothis

how do i know if it's teething for sure?

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

You really wont. It's just a guessing game like everything else in the FY. I too, would give the Motrin before bed. :hug:

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If I suspect it's teething, I use the teething tablets (they give instant relief), and then motrin (longer lasting relief, as well as usually makes them sleepy).

Liam went through a spell around 7-8 months for about 3 weeks he would NOT sleep. He was constantly up at night screaming, and even when I took him to bed with me he wouldn't settle down, was squirming and flailing and scratching at me.

He had 2 teeth come in at the same time eventually. I thought it was teething at the time, but it was to the point when I put him to bed I gave him teething tabs, gas drops, motrin, decongestant and anything else I had to dose him with, to try to get him to sleep. Nothing really worked, until those teeth came in. He showed no real signs during the day, it was just horrible at night.

Once his teeth came in, he was fine again and started sleeping like normal! Sometimes, you just keep trying things until something either works, or things go back to normal!

7. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

It's such a guessing game. What signs does he have except sleeplessness for you to suspect teething?

Drooling alot?
    Loose bowel movements?
    Rash around the mouth?
    Aggressively biting on everything and biting the nipple on the bottle?
    Swollen gums?
    Runny nose?
    Low grade fever?

That's what we had. My daughter just cut her 2 bottom teeth last week. If it is teething, I tried Orajel and it does not work. I also tried Hyland Teething Tablets and they seemed to help a bit. Also, letting her suck on a cold, wet washcloth helps or massaging the gums. My daughter also loves her Razberry Teether by Razbaby.

IMO, I would not give Mortrin just because baby does not sleep. It might be a quick fix for an underlying issue like other people said - gas, reflux, allergy or indigestion to a specific food/solids etc.

Good luck.

8. newtothis

rash around mouth
    biting on everything
    biting on nipple of bottle
    taking longer to eat
    fussing while drinking from bottle

9. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

You know, it that case it does seem like teething. Just to be safe, before giving Mortrin if that's what you will decide to do, measure his temperature first to make sure he doesn't have any and it's not related to something else. That's what I would do since teething might produce a low-grade fever (rarely more than 101°F). If it's higher, it could also mean infection, like ear infection which rarely has signs except for pain.

Actually ear infections sometimes seem like teething, now that I think about it. It also causes reduced appetite because it makes it painful for your baby to swallow and chew. Just trying to think of different reasons to figure it out.

Also, really look into Razberry Teether by Razbaby. It helps a lot.

10. faustjena

faustjena Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Hyland tablets. You can get them at most grocery stores and they just dissolve under their tounge so it's SUPER easy to administer. Good lucky mommy!