Trip to ER, Fast Heartbeat & Feeling Uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by HT, Dec 20, 2006.

1. HT

HT Well-Known Member

I had my first trip to the ER on Saturday night. I woke up in the middle of the night on Friday feeling really jittery. Thought it was from the 5 Pepsi's I had while at DH's Christmas party (I normally only drink 0-2 pops a day, not 5 within 3 hours!). I felt the same way though Saturday afternoon when I laid down for a nap and I hadn't had any pop all day. My neighbor is a nurse so she came over to check my blood pressure. It was low, but she said I felt dehydrated and my heart rate was really high. DH and I went round and round about going to the ER. My in-laws were here visiting and they are the least understanding people I know about plans needing to change. Plus my DD doesn't get along great with them and we didn't really want to leave her with them, but didn't feel like we could tell them we were taking DD to my mom's. Anyway, I probably won't have gone except for worrying about the twins. I certainly didn't want to put them at risk so we decided to go. DD was bawling soon as she realized we were leaving. Turns out my heart rate was high, but they couldn't find any reason. My thyroid test did come back just on the brink of being hyperactive so I have to have some more tests run. Plus they finally got hold of my doctor and he told them some women's heart rate does goes up when pg and I may have to be put on medication to keep it lower for awhile. Luckily though the babies were moving like crazy and no one ever seemed concerned about them. My ER doctor definitely needs some work on his bedside manner though! He looked at me when he came in and told me I was huge and he felt bad for me because I was going to get so much bigger! Thanks! I personally don't think I look huge and I didn't appreciate being told that! I am carrying the twins mostly out front though so there's no hiding them. So, now I'm just waiting for my OB appt on Thursday. I'm still feeling jittery occasionally and I'm having a really hard time relaxing especially at night. One of my legs has also been tingling at night and it wakes me up at night. It feels like my whole leg is asleep, but walking on it doesn't help. I've also started having acid reflux in the evening. Overall, I just feel like I'm falling apart. I'm up 4-5 times a night because I'm uncomfortable and then I'm tired during the day. Guess I just needed to vent a little!

2. HT

HT Well-Known Member

I had my first trip to the ER on Saturday night. I woke up in the middle of the night on Friday feeling really jittery. Thought it was from the 5 Pepsi's I had while at DH's Christmas party (I normally only drink 0-2 pops a day, not 5 within 3 hours!). I felt the same way though Saturday afternoon when I laid down for a nap and I hadn't had any pop all day. My neighbor is a nurse so she came over to check my blood pressure. It was low, but she said I felt dehydrated and my heart rate was really high. DH and I went round and round about going to the ER. My in-laws were here visiting and they are the least understanding people I know about plans needing to change. Plus my DD doesn't get along great with them and we didn't really want to leave her with them, but didn't feel like we could tell them we were taking DD to my mom's. Anyway, I probably won't have gone except for worrying about the twins. I certainly didn't want to put them at risk so we decided to go. DD was bawling soon as she realized we were leaving. Turns out my heart rate was high, but they couldn't find any reason. My thyroid test did come back just on the brink of being hyperactive so I have to have some more tests run. Plus they finally got hold of my doctor and he told them some women's heart rate does goes up when pg and I may have to be put on medication to keep it lower for awhile. Luckily though the babies were moving like crazy and no one ever seemed concerned about them. My ER doctor definitely needs some work on his bedside manner though! He looked at me when he came in and told me I was huge and he felt bad for me because I was going to get so much bigger! Thanks! I personally don't think I look huge and I didn't appreciate being told that! I am carrying the twins mostly out front though so there's no hiding them. So, now I'm just waiting for my OB appt on Thursday. I'm still feeling jittery occasionally and I'm having a really hard time relaxing especially at night. One of my legs has also been tingling at night and it wakes me up at night. It feels like my whole leg is asleep, but walking on it doesn't help. I've also started having acid reflux in the evening. Overall, I just feel like I'm falling apart. I'm up 4-5 times a night because I'm uncomfortable and then I'm tired during the day. Guess I just needed to vent a little!

3. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry about your ordeal! And there is nothing worse than a doc with poor bedside manners! What a jerk! Of course, I hear that crap about 'just wait - you'll get so much bigger/puffier/etc' all the time from everyone - but you think doctors would show some compassion (and professionalism!)! Did they tell you to stop drinking pop - or switch to caffeine free? As far as the night issues - I get the leg cramps that keep me up half the night. Not sure if that is the same thing you are experiecning? Someone told me to eat bananas for that (potassium helps?).

I am hoping the additional tests they do turn out fine!

Keep us posted!

4. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Well it's definitely good to know the babies are fine and your heartrate issues aren't anything serious. I can totally understand all your other woes. I feel like any ONE thing would be manageable....it's when you put them all together (the leg thing, the acid reflux, the uncomfortable belly etc.) that it just makes you want to cry sometimes! I just tell myself that at least I'm the one uncomfortable, and not my babies. The good news is: it can't last forever! Eventually the little munchkins are going to make their debut and you'll have your body back! Oh, and by the way--what person (let alone doctor) thinks it's a good idea to tell a pregnant lady that she's huge?! That's just bad karma.....

5. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Bleh! What an ordeal!!! BUT, I am glad to hear that things are okay.

As for the tingling legs, I started taking an iron supplement and my leg tingling (restless legs) disappeared almost over night.