Tub Refusal

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Marieber, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Okay, so I just posted about Mel's hideous bedtime behavior, but I also need to ask about what Jade is going through: tubby refusal.

This is a girl who has always LOVED the tub. I have videos of her swimming underwater. Like, she loved the tub more than any little girl EVER!

And now she won't go in. It started, as far as I can say when we were at my parents' house. They have a HUGE whirlpool tub (which she has loved in the past). She wouldn't get in. I thought once she was in she'd love it, but she screamed and I let her out. (oh, and it had been DAYS since they bathed, which may or may not be pertinent)

We came home Saturday and she truly needed a bath and got in fine. And what do you know? She poops in the tub! (which also may or may not be pertinent) She hasn't done this for about a year and she did seem a bit mortified.

Sunday everything was fine, and suddenly she got a look and I really thought she might poop again, and I said, "No pooping in the tub" and she started crying and wanted out.

And won't go in again.

Your opinion?

How can I trick her back into the tub? Tonight I was really playing up with Melissa how much fun we were having in there. No go.

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Okay, so I just posted about Mel's hideous bedtime behavior, but I also need to ask about what Jade is going through: tubby refusal.

This is a girl who has always LOVED the tub. I have videos of her swimming underwater. Like, she loved the tub more than any little girl EVER!

And now she won't go in. It started, as far as I can say when we were at my parents' house. They have a HUGE whirlpool tub (which she has loved in the past). She wouldn't get in. I thought once she was in she'd love it, but she screamed and I let her out. (oh, and it had been DAYS since they bathed, which may or may not be pertinent)

We came home Saturday and she truly needed a bath and got in fine. And what do you know? She poops in the tub! (which also may or may not be pertinent) She hasn't done this for about a year and she did seem a bit mortified.

Sunday everything was fine, and suddenly she got a look and I really thought she might poop again, and I said, "No pooping in the tub" and she started crying and wanted out.

And won't go in again.

Your opinion?

How can I trick her back into the tub? Tonight I was really playing up with Melissa how much fun we were having in there. No go.

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine have gone through phases of hating the tub and I've taken them in the shower with me. Another thing that helps sometimes is a new tub toy or a bubble bath. I hope things get better soon!

4. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

Hannah only does this when she is tired. And she too loves the tub. I have a friend who's son refused the tub. I'd just go for the quick dip or hit the shower. Don't stress over it.

[​IMG]