tummy tuck after c/s

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kathmeany, Oct 10, 2007.

1. kathmeany

kathmeany Member

Has anyone ever requested a small tummy tuck after having a c section when the Doc sews you up? A friend of mine who had twins says she wished she had. I am trying to go for a vaginal birth so it may not be an option, but just in case I am wondering if anyone out there recommends asking for one.

2. lsafer@pacbell.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My doc said it's not really a tummy tuck that they do...they can just pull the stitches really tight or a certain way. BUT he also said this is not an issue for first time C-section moms, it's usually something they do for 2nd C-sections. I assume a "real" tummy tuck would be a plastic surgeon and not your OB.

3. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm a little naive, but I was under the impression that if you were fit pre-pregnancy, you really wouldn't need anything like that? Have my mommy friends been lying to me?

I had a sixpack before getting pregnant, and I definitely want it back after the boys are born, but was counting on nature and a mean workout routine to bring it back.

4. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I asked my peri if he thought one of the docs would do this for me if I had to get a C-section. He frowned at me, said we don't do that, and that after I had the babies I could pay someone else to do it if I had more Vain than Brains! Can you believe that comment? Anyways, I kind of figure your Uterus is still really big right after you have the kids, so you may as well give it time to shrink to normal size before getting a Tummy Tuck if that is what you really want. My plan is to see what I look like 6 months after the birth, and then decide.

5. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I had a real tummy tuck after almost 2 years following my c-section w/ the twins and I would never recommend that.
    Your tummy will change SOOO much that altering it before it's done doing it's thing sems like more work as I bet you'd need some follow up work to straighten things out later.

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My Peri & OB both said if I had 'twin skin' that I had to wait at LEAST 9 months- and preferably a year before I was back to 'normal' (espec. if you BF) since hormones can change things around for a while.

I had am umbilical hernia from pregnancy and they would not fix it until at least 1 yr post pregnancy due to the same reasons....I am getting it fixed next month (2 yrs post preg).

7. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

this will be my third c-section and I WILL be having a tummy tuck but it will be a couple years after the birth. You are so swelled up during and after a c-section. It's a terrible time to do that. Your uterus hasn't gone back down to size and all that. An OB is also not the person you want performing plastic surgery.

8. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

You really need to let your body heal after giving birth, whether it be my c-section or vaginal. You'll change so much over the first few months and may realize you don't even need one. It'll just depend on your body.

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Oct 10 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]444079[/snapback]
    Maybe I'm a little naive, but I was under the impression that if you were fit pre-pregnancy, you really wouldn't need anything like that? Have my mommy friends been lying to me?

I had a sixpack before getting pregnant, and I definitely want it back after the boys are born, but was counting on nature and a mean workout routine to bring it back.

You can get it back, especially if you were fit pre-preg. My peri went on and on about the strength of my ab muscles during my c-section. Apparently I had some of the strongest ab muscles he'd ever run across. :)

Now mind you, I did not get back to working out regularly until about 9 months post-partum, once I did and changed my diet, I did get back into shape and my tummy is almost back to its old self...it would be if I could just kick my chocolate habit once and for all. :)

I know some ladies end up having some abdominal muscle split though, and if that happens I think it would be much harder.

I wouldn't advise a tummy tuck with a c-section, your uterus is still very large and you'll be very swollen. Plus you want a plastic surgeon to do it.

10. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

I am opting for a tummy tuck when we are for sure to be done having babies.. I was way naive and had my boobs done when Jason was 1 and now they are GINOURMOUS with being pregnant... But I didn't care at the time.. I just had to have them ASAP, even knowing i was not done having kids..

So when we are for sure DONE, I will get a tummy tuck through the same plastic surgeon that did my boobs, and I will get a lift on them puppies too!! :D

11. erinh56

erinh56 Well-Known Member

This will also be my third C/S! Honestly....I am not that concerned w/ having a flat stomach. As long as I look good in what I wear, I could care less what is underneath. After all, it's his fault, right?! I am saying this now, lol...I have no idea what a post C/S stomach for twins looks like.

12. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Oct 10 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]444079[/snapback]

I've heard that a lot of it has to do with genetics (though this is only what I've heard, I don't know how accurate it is.) After my mom had my twin sister and I, her belly was never the same. She was very thin prior to her pg with us (105 lbs), but after giving birth, her stomach was full of stretch marks and loose skin that never went away, even though the pregnancy weight did. My twin sister has inherited our mother's belly after giving birth to her twins last summer (twin skin, she calls it)....and I expect the same belly (sigh)... Aren't you a twin? What did your mother's belly look like after giving birth??

13. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Oct 10 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]444079[/snapback]

No they're not lying. I was not quite as fit as you (4 pack pre-pg) but my body bounced back quite well. I have my same stomach back (meaning, it's fairly flat and I don't have a huge gut hanging out) but it's not toned anymore. I will need the gym to tighten it up that last bit - unfortunately, with twins, gym time is scarce!!!!!

OH - and i know genetics matter but my mom's post-babies stomach is nothing like mine. Mine doesn't even look like I've had children. we were both thin to begin with, but she never exercised - before or after birth. So the differences could be due to the fact that i was in such better shape than her beforehand.

14. missymack2003

missymack2003 Well-Known Member

I wish! I jokingly told my Dr. to take as much skin as he wanted while they were stitching me up. He replied "what skin?" I had my 5wk ob apt today and the PA said that some of my skin will tighten back up but not all of it. I am 22yrs old, was very thin before I got pregnant, but I did carry the babies for 38wks. I don't know if that makes a huge difference or not. I've got a ton of stretch marks too. I'm hoping that my stomach will eventually go back to looking somewhat normal. No more two pieces for me, that's for sure! <_<

15. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

If your abdominal muscles separate, it is nearly impossible to correct through exercise. Some swear by pilates, but even that won't repair a large separation. Mine separation is 2 inches+, so surgery is my only option. THe goal of cooking the babies to term and still perserving a toned abdomen are usually at odds with each other. I carried to 37+ weeks and my babies were only 5.5 lbs each, but I still ended up with separation.