Tummy tuck while doing C section?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TwinsItIs, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

I remember reading over the years on this site that some doctors agree to do a sort of tummy tuck while they're doing a C section anyway. I am obviously not sure if I'll end up with a C section, though both babies are breech right now, and was wondering how common this is. Do doctors generally agree to have this done? How much would they generally charge for this? When did you discuss it with your doctor?

Please share any and all information about this.

Thanks

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have no information on it being done during your c/s but if it's done like a real tummy tuck (where there is muscle repair and skin tightening) I would advise you don't do it. TT recovery is more difficult then a c/s recovery (IMO) and you walk hunched over for a bit and it will take away from your "newborn experience" It would be nice to get it done and out of the way but you really can barely stand up, let alone do it often, on your own and while holding babies. :faint: Just my .02

3. TwinsItIs

AFAIR, it isn't a real tummy tuck, but just getting rid of some of the extra hanging skin.

4. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I would think that would not be a good way to do it. You are so swollen after child birth that I do not think any doctor would want to remove any skin at that stage.

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

That is what I was told. It was suggested to wait 12 months for muscles/skin to readjust.

Often , then if you have muscle seperation as well- insurance may cover the surgery (my neighbor did this-- insurance covered the muscle fix & related fees like anesthesia/hospital fee and she paid for the 'skin' surgery (not a full TT))

It did not have a TT, but had an umbilical hernia due to the twinkies. I had to wait 9 months to get it fixed to make sure everything else was healed from the CS (if it had been larger, I would have had to wait the full 12, but it was a small hernia)

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I haven't done it, but based on how much my body changed after I gave birth, I don't think it would have been a good idea. I was wheeled out of the hospital still looking 9 months pregnant (so there would not really have been anything to "tuck"), and my body didn't assume its final new shape for almost a year.

7. TwinsItIs

Then I guess I have my answer. :) It's just that with two twin pregnancies and awful genes in this department, my belly looks awful and will only look worse. But I'm still happy and thankful, stretch marks and all.

8. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I had a Tummy Tuck when my girls were old enough to know that mommy could not pick them up and they had to be careful. I think they were around 3 1/2. I am glad I did it, but the recovery was alot tougher than I thought it would be.