TV or no TV?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lydia, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I am wondering what your experiences are regarding TV viewing. Currently I watch a limited amount of TV, which is more for my own sanity than anything else, throughout the day. I watch about half an hour in the morning while cleaning up the kitchen, and another half an hour in the evening with the children before we start bedtime routine. I try to watch Oprah while the children are napping but sometimes I end up watching her as I prepare supper. So far I haven't noticed it being a problem since the children rarely notice that it is on except that now they think it's a game to turn it off on me. I certainly don't want to use the TV as a crutch for keeping the children occupied. However, I keep reminding myself that I am a mother of twins, with limited health, and very long days at home alone to deal with, so I may have to adjust my mindset. What do you think? What do you do? Should I turn the TV off while the children are awake? I am looking forward to your comments.

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

We are tv watchers, but we don't have cable. We watch a lot of dvds. Throughout the day the girls are watching one of their dvds, so I mainly watch kid stuff (shoot me, please). They actually don't sit down for extended periods of time to watch the tv. It's very random...I sometimes wish they would for some peace and quiet, but these girls would much rather play with their toys. If the tv helps you stay sane and you are still interacting with your kids then I don't see a problem with it. I always keep the tv on...

3. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

i'm sure you'll get a big controversy out of this question, but my answer is pretty simple. i let my girls watch baby first tv, and nick jr, and i don't think it does them any harm. it certainly does not act as a babysitter because while it's on, they're off playing or doing whatever they want. as the nick jr commercials say, it's like preschool on tv. it teaches numbers, words, behavior, letters, everything. what's the harm if they learn something from it?!! i say, leave the tv on!

4. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

I like to keep the tv on for company... I don't really sit and watch it...and for a while
    I was hoping my lo's would watch something while I prepared dinner...
    now ds discovered Barnie..and he keeps pointing at the remote and gets upset
    if I don't put it on.... so I let them watch in before dinner and maybe
    a little in the morning...they move around/dance and sing so I don't think that is bad
    for them...and after a little while they go off to play...

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Mine watch maybe 20 minutes in the morning and sometimes 20 minutes in the afternoon. I put it on if they are really fussy or I need to get something done. They watch Yo Gabba Gabba, which they love! We've tried Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Sesame Street, but they are not as interested in those. I think TV's okay for toddlers in limited amounts.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think TV is fine in moderation and that is based on what works for your family. I have found that TV keeps me sane and allows me to get some things done around the house. The kids don't have much of an attention span, they can usually pay attention for about 30 minutes. The channels we usually watch are PBS and Nick Jr.

1 person likes this.
  7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

DH and I disagree on this. He would let them watch 2-3 hours of TV, about half of which they are running around. I would let them watch a few educational videos twice a day. It's not only the amount of time that is an issue to us, but also what they watch. I have a pretty narrow set of things I want them to watch and he allows more.

It's an ongoing battle, but there have been times when we temporarily banned TV because it was contributing to dumb and bad behavior, and then we relent then they start acting crazy.

8. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Ours are like a lot of the pp - they don't really ever sit and watch anything but they will notice if something is on and clap or dance or sing or watch for bits and pieces and then play. DD discovered Barney at daycare and now she points and gestures at the tv and says Barney, but even when we relent and let her watch that she only really watches the beginning and then is on to other stuff. Admittedly, I would like it if it would keep them occupied but so far there is no way that tv could ever be a babysitter. Our tv is pretty much always on when they are playing (usually something we are watching - sports, sitcoms), but we will put on an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba or Jack's Music Show if they are getting bored or fussy. I have seen them learn words and motions like jumping and dancing from tv so I don't think it is that bad.

9. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

[quote name='K&T's MOM' date='03 March 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1267670050' post='1592545']
    Ours are like a lot of the pp - they don't really ever sit and watch anything but they will notice if something is on and clap or dance or sing or watch for bits and pieces and then play.

Our tv is pretty much always on when they are playing (usually something we are watching - sports, sitcoms), but we will put on an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba or Jack's Music Show if they are getting bored or fussy. [/quote]

This is me too! I have to have the tv on for company and my own sanity. We usually watch "their" shows in the morning and then before supper which is their fussy time. Other than that it's whatever I'm "watching".

10. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

My kids have a tv in their playroom and it doesn't have cable so they only watch dvd's, usually whats on Nick Jr or Sprout. They love anything with music so even when they are upstairs the only thing they really "watch" is when I turn on nursery rhymes on On Demand.
    Mine maybe sit for 20 minutes but never for long periods. I have the tv on upstairs all day long, I like the noise.
    I have a 9 year old that at 2 I would put on video's and pray that he would sit for 20 minutes and watch and he wouldn't, now he maybe sits for 10 minutes and watches but then is up and playing. He very rarely ever watches tv when it's not already on. He does love movies though and will watch Star Wars and the LOTR movies over and over and over.

I think it's a personal family decision, I see nothing wrong with kids watching tv.

11. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I watch TV when the boys are napping, not so much or ever while they are up. When Danika is home, she gets to watch about 1hr/day (it really doesn't sound as long as it i ;) ) so they will end up 'watching' whatever she is - like Olivia and such. But it was only today that I noticed Rhys actually sit for a whole 5min and watch, I don't think Owen still ever looked at the screen. I think its fine in moderation. For me its what my reasons are - if I just need 10min to get myself together or make dinner versus spending time online

12. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I try not to have the TV on during the day but I usually have music on or an audio book, and I'm not really sure what the difference is. When I need a mental health break, I have some harmless Animal Planet shows on my DVR that I'll put on. The boys glance at the TV occasionally. They seem to like watching dogs. :) The last few weeks I've had the TV on tons though, because I'm a total Olympics junkie and it only happens every two years. :D The boys seem to enjoy curling. *g*

There's a very interesting book that I read called "Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children from Birth to Age Five" by Lisa Guernsey, where she really goes into the research and all the issues. She doesn't offer any easy answers but a lot to think about.

13. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

they usually get to watch some tv in the morning while i'm making breakfast/getting ready for work - it keeps them out of my hair & the morning running smoothly. i don't like to have it on too much though because my girls turn into zombies when it is on. they'll both park their butts on the couch & suck their thumbs zoning to whatever's on until i turn it off. i don't like that - i'd rather they were up & playing with their toys or looking through their books. the exception to this is when they or i am sick - then i do whatever i need to do get through the day! ;)

14. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

The 20-30 minutes of Sesame Street they "watch" while I get dinner finished and get the bath ready is my saving grace. Yeah, I sometimes feel a bit guilty, but then again, I only feel guilty because I hear how BAD it is :rotflmbo:

15. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Mine watch tv in the a.m. and p.m. In the morning, they'll usually watch Sesame Street which gives me time to prep breakfast, clean, shower,etc... They'll watch it for a good 20 min. then will go off and do their own thing. In the evening, I'll put it on while I'm getting dinner ready to they aren't glued to my legs in the kitchen while I'm making dinner or causing mischief. Days they are fussy I'll put it on for a bit if it gets the whining to stop and as a PP said, if I'm sick or they're sick, everything goes out the window...it's survival mode! We are out a lot doing things and not parked in front of the tv for hours and hours so I don't worry too much about it.

16. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ours don't watch tv regularly or really at all. its two part... the tv isn't really in an area that is conducive to small children... its in my junk room... and mainly because I don't really think they need to watch anything. when we do let them watch something its our Signing Time dvds. I really don't want to introduce tv and commercials etc. I think that they learn too much from just the stupid commercials.

I'm not thrilled when I go to pick up the kids at my inlaws and reruns of Law & Order are on or something... we don't leave them over there much anymore, but I really don't need kids watching shows that aren't geared to children... especially the news is a horrible thing to have running into their minds.

and I'll be interested in reading the info in the book mentioned above "Into the Minds of Babes" because I have also heard that the tv and actual screen of it is what is the 'bad' part.... who knows. I'm sure everything in moderation. and if only I could do this myself instead of watching so much in the evenings while I get other things done.

I do have a fun snappy cd of songs that we play every few days and they love it! when it comes on they start to dance around!! other than that I usually just have the classical music on in the background during the day.

good luck to you!

17. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I grew up with the TV on 24x7 and I guess as a "rebellion" against that I almost never watch TV. It's never on for us (unless we're watching a video after the boys go to bed), so my guys don't watch it "second-hand" so to speak.

This is my experience as well. We have the Baby Signing Time videos and the boys get "vapor lock" any time we put them on. DH slipped up and called them "Baby Zombie Time" the other day and we died laughing! :laughing: That being said, I have no compunction about putting on a video when I'm alone and trying to get something done. My guys melt down at 5pm like a switch was flipped, and whoever has to make dinner can't function with 2 screaming boys attached to their ankles. Maybe because it's on so rarely, they tune in to those videos to the exclusion of all else. It freaks me out a little bit, but it sure is handy! They also randomly throughout the day say "TV", point at the TV, or sign "Baby Signing Time", so I know they want to watch it. I don't usually give in because I don't want them to watch *too* much TV, and I'm also afraid the magic will wear off if they get too used to it! :lol:

But this is what works for my family. Everyone is different, so you need to do what makes you comfortable. :good:

18. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I don't really like day time TV, so I don't watch it much. Sometimes I'll watch a little news (but turn it off if it's something bad). I let them watch some TV in the morning and after dinner. I usually feed them around 5 pm, and my DH gets home at 6:30. I save Yo Gabba Gabba for about 5:30, when they start to meltdown and I'm alone. I don't think TV is bad in moderation. I don't leave it on all day because the noise drives me nuts. My kids are zombie watchers, so I can't leave it on a lot. Once a show is finished, I turn off the tv so they will go and play with their toys. We go out every day and do an activity, so I think they are getting plenty of real life learning experiences.

19. maybell

I have to laugh, about the time the twins were a year, I put in a Signing DVD and faced them to watch it while I was spoon feeding them breakfast... oh my goodness, they turned into zombies like the others said. I had to get up and turn it off to finish feeding breakfast.

with that said, i suppose when you want that reaction, tv is a great alternative!

20. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine "listen" more to the TV than anything else. In the morning I put on PBS or Nick Jr and they dance to songs and things but they seem oblivious to the huge screen with bright colors on it. The rest of the day its on "my" shows or turned off and they will sometimes clap with the talk shows and things like that but again, they don't watch the screen they are just listening. I do have little saucer chairs for them that if I sit them in it and put on a John Deere tractor DVD they will watch about 15 mins before climbing out of the chairs! Only my kids would watch tractors! LOL:)

21. maybell

is that a kids John Deere show? or just an informational thing?? ha ha!! I think mine would like that!

1 person likes this.
  22. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I try to find the balance between TV. I do think the girls enjoy it, and it helps when they are really, really fussy or sick. It gives me a little bit of sanity some days. I do try to balance it too though because they do tend to turn in to zoombies sometimes, it is funny though because they only do it with Nick JR. I can have the TV on and have it be a me show and they will pay no attention to it at all, they will play and occasionally glance up. As soon as i switch it back the will stop whatever they are doing and watch. Honestly i think in moderation it is fine, but there is a balance like anything. Finding that is up to each family.

23. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At that age I would have killed for mine to watch 20 mins of a show. I could have made dinner without 2 kids hanging on my legs screaming for food. It would have made the evening a tad more enjoyable for all of us. Mine didnt really get interested in TV until they were about 3. So whatever works for you IMO.

24. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Its actually a show that sings songs and explains the tractors. This is the one we have, my mom gave it to the boys "for being born" LOL, they received it in the NICU!
    http://www.amazon.com/About-Deere-4-Piece-Action-minutes/dp/B001QX74I6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1267834751&sr=8-13

25. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

Mine too! :D They've got farming in their blood!

26. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

:popcorn: TV on alllll day. My mom watches them so although I would prefer it wasn't, she thinks it helps. They really only watch Kai Lan and Moose and Zee. Other than that they will randomly watch and play.

27. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I was worried about TV watching in the beginning and all the supposed warnings that came with it. However, with twins Im afraid I do use it. They watch their cartoons in the morning but they arent glued to the TV. They are playing and its on in the background. When their favourites come on, they watch. I also use it in the evenings but I put on Baby Einstein. They eat their dinner then I take one and get him/her ready for bed (bath, etc) whilst the other is in his/her highchair watching the video. It keeps the peace at the witching hour. At weekends if we´re stuck at home, I will even put it on an hour before dinnertime if they are really bad and it calms them both. I wonder if Im doing the right thing, but with 2 babies you have to do what works. They ask for the video now but when we arent at home, they eat fine without the TV so Im not too concerned.

When DH is home, the TV is on more during the day but I make sure it´s nothing violent and is suitable. I think you watching 30 mins morning and evening is fine. In your shoes, I would be watching more!! Dont worry about using Baby Einstein or something similar - mine love those shows and they learn from them too.

28. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

I have certain shows that I occasionally watch during the day, but unless the shows happen to be on while they are sitting in their high chairs eating, they really don't pay any attention to them. The only show I specifically let them watch is one or two(we all have those days)Baby Einstein DVDs. I don't think there is any harm in them watching educational shows that are age appropriate!

29. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

My kids watch a lot of Sesame Street and Barney. I put PBS on for them in the morning. And I'll put it on if they're really clingy and crabby when I'm trying to make dinner. I don't really watch tv myself during the day, but if I do, they really don't pay attention to it. I know they watch more than what is recommended and I sometimes feel guilty, but they do know their ABC's (can correctly recognize and say every letter) they recognize their numbers and can count a little, and know all their primary colors and basic shapes. I do work with them a lot on this, but I can't take all the credit. I think the educational shows has really played a part too.

30. maybell

sorry to hijack the post, but that series looks awesome! thanks for the info, sounds like a good birthday idea coming up!!

31. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your input. Your comments have been enlightening. I hadn't thought of educational videos. I will be incorporating that into our schedule at some point in the near future. What ones would you recommend? Are there any TV shows that are tailored to children and educational?

32. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What she said, except we usually have noggin or nick jr on! :) The twins do love mickey mouse clubhouse, especially the music, but otherwise they don't really "watch" much of anything!

33. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Our Tv is on all day long. It gets shut off during the day when the kids want to listen and dance to their music but otherwise it is on. I personally don't see a problem with it. My kids aren't glued to it they still play with their toys and each other all day. My oldest only sits and watches toopy and bino and dinasour train and the rest of the time its really just backround noise. We don't watch tree house anymore because I was just so darn sick of it!! but the knowledge kids channel seems to have decent stuff on it.My twins have never been interested in it and couldn't care less whats on the screen except for the planet earth DVD's :) all my kids seem to like those and my oldest asks for them frequently.

34. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The Baby Einstein ones are educational. Not sure if PBS shows are on DVD, I know Sesame Street has some videos and I would recommend anything Sesame Street. My kids also love Super Why (it's about reading) and Word World. Nick Jr. shows are educational: Ni-Hao Ki-Lan teaches emotions and social interactions and I think the Nick Jr website explains the educational value of each show, so maybe there are some videos of their shows too. Good luck!

35. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

The Baby Signing Time videos are great if you want to teach them signing. We recently got the Baby Einstein Numbers Nursery for a road trip, and I was impressed at what a good job it did in presenting numbers. The boys also found it gut-bustingly funny for some reason. :pardon: Elmo's World also has some good teaching videos.