Twilight

Discussion in 'General' started by double-or-nothing, Nov 5, 2008.

1. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

There a few of us crazy Twilight fans here so I thought we would have an official thread to discuss the movie coming up.

If anyone is currently reading the books, you may not want to read the posts here as it will have spoilers.

I am very curious regarding people who have seen the various trailers for this movie but have not read the book. Does it look like a movie you would see? Why or why not? Somebody posed this question to me but I am just too biased to answer it because I'm too involved in the story and characters to be truly subjective. While I see clips from the movie, I am sometimes disappointed with how much they changed from the book but that is to be expected when converting a book into a major motion picture.

As for the casting of the movie, I think they really hit it all on the mark with one exception; not loving the actress they chose for Rosalie. Not because she is not talented and beautiful but because she doesn't represent the extreme beauty of the character in the book. Rosalie is suppose to be one of the most beautiful women in the world but I just don't see Nikki Reed as THAT beautiful. Anyway, I'm totally psyched and have learned that the actors are in contract to do 2 more movies of the series (New Moon and Eclipse) if Twilight does well. They will film them simultaneously like they did for Pirates so that the releases are not too far apart and so that the actors don't age too much in between.

2. wymomoftwins

wymomoftwins Well-Known Member

I am just finishing up the last book of the series. I can't wait to see Twilight at the theatre. It is just so hard when you already have an idea of what all the characters and places look like in your imagination-I am just telling myself that I will probably be a little disappointed with the movie....still excited to see it. Its coming out Nov. 21 right??

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I am not impressed with Rosalie's character, she is far more beautiful in my head.

4. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(wymomoftwins @ Nov 5 2008, 09:09 PM) [snapback]1058377[/snapback]
    I am just finishing up the last book of the series. I can't wait to see Twilight at the theatre. It is just so hard when you already have an idea of what all the characters and places look like in your imagination-I am just telling myself that I will probably be a little disappointed with the movie....still excited to see it. Its coming out Nov. 21 right??

Yes, Novemeber 21st and I'm always happy to see a new fan of the series :) Can't wait to see what you think about book 4 when you finish. Be sure to come over to the Book Club forum. We have a thread there to discuss the books. What have you thought of the books so far? I know, I also had a hard time when I saw who the actors would be to portray the characters in Twilight. Honestly, I think the hardest one I had getting used to was Robert Pattison as Edward because I had pictured Hayden Christensen in his role in Episode 2 of Star Wars while I was reading the series. But I've seen RP so much now that I actually love him for the part. He's got the crooked smile down to a tee but I remember Hayden having that same smile in Star Wars. But whatever. I think they chose perfectly for Bella. Kristen Stewart is EXACTLY what I pictured in my mind. And I love love love the actress they chose for Alice (one of my favorite characters) and the way they made her look in the movie.

5. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(cohlee @ Nov 5 2008, 09:37 PM) [snapback]1058436[/snapback]
    I am not impressed with Rosalie's character, she is far more beautiful in my head.

I know, right??? This is who I pictured when I was reading the story: http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_bold_and_th..._gareis/bio.php I think she is so flippin beautiful (in a barbie sort of way) and would have been perfect as Rosalie, but alas, I am not a casting agent.

6. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

The house they used is also SOOO different from what I pictured. Too modern. The shots inside look really cool though. I think the guy playing Jasper looks a little goofy. Rob has definitely grown on me from when I first saw him and I also think Kristen is the perfect Bella. Oh, while I'm nitpicking, I think they did a bad dye job on the guy playing Carlisle. It just doesn't look nautural on him. Are there no good looking blond actors out there? ;)

I'll still be there on the 21st though! :p

7. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(marcy874 @ Nov 6 2008, 11:52 AM) [snapback]1059190[/snapback]
    The house they used is also SOOO different from what I pictured. Too modern. The shots inside look really cool though. I think the guy playing Jasper looks a little goofy. Rob has definitely grown on me from when I first saw him and I also think Kristen is the perfect Bella. Oh, while I'm nitpicking, I think they did a bad dye job on the guy playing Carlisle. It just doesn't look nautural on him. Are there no good looking blond actors out there? ;)

I'll still be there on the 21st though! :p

I agree about the house but to be honest, I think the house they chose for the movie actually makes more sense for their lifestyle. And, I TOTALLY agree about Carlile's hair. It looks kind of weird and unnatural

8. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

ok, I feel like I haven't watched enough trailers to jump in here, so I'm off to youtube!!!

9. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Nov 6 2008, 08:09 AM) [snapback]1058745[/snapback]
    I know, right??? This is who I pictured when I was reading the story: http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_bold_and_th..._gareis/bio.php I think she is so flippin beautiful (in a barbie sort of way) and would have been perfect as Rosalie, but alas, I am not a casting agent.

I agree! I had her as a barbie doll in my head and the actress just isnt living up to my expectations. I am happy about most of the other cast.

10. double-or-nothing

ok, i realized that i posted this in the thread in the book club but it should be here. here is the link to all the various trailers and teasers for twilight. apparently they are running constantly on a channel called The N but i'm not about to stoop so low as to start watching Zoey 101 so that I can see them LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/officialtwilightfilm?ob=4

11. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

My best friend just showed me a few clips that are posted on the Twilight Myspace page.
    I'm very excited about the movie! I know things will be different than what I pictured in my head, but I'm still ready to see it played out.
    (I was really not liking RP as Edward. That's still growing on me to be honest, but the more I see the trailers and pictures, the more I see it.)

12. double-or-nothing

Hey Gina,

The same thing with me. Saw RP Edward and was like, HUH? I totally pictured Hayden Christensen for the part but the more times I watched the trailer the more I started to really like him. Now I think he's just perfect for the part. I think he will do a great job and he definately has the crooked smile down which is ESSENTIAL haha.

I can't wait for the movie either!!! What do we have left? 10 days until opening??? Aarrrrggghhh. The excitement is so intense. I know I'm not going to love it as much as the book but I have a feeling now that I will like it none the less. I'm sure I will pre-order the dvd as soon as it's available. I have loved all the Harry Potter movies even after reading the books so I hope it's the same. I just wish the movie had been a bit longer so they could have added more in but I read an interesting article about the production company of the movie. Here is the article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20238689,00.html

I really hope the movie does well because I would love to see the other films come to life. I hope the movie is good enough to draw even those who have not read the book out. We'll see.

13. 2girls2boys

2girls2boys Well-Known Member

Awesome thread!!

I got tickets for the midnight screening!!!!! Yeah baby...I have a huge poster of Edward in the upstairs hallway. The girls and I all share it and talk to it. (giggle giggle)

My dd also said the same thing about Rosalie not being pretty enough.

I can't wait though. The girls have tee shirts already that we got at Hot Topic, that store does not carry anything in my size so I am ordering one at cafepress.com.

14. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I can't wait!!!
    Well, I can wait...and will probably see it a week after it opens so that I don't have to fight the crowds ;)

The cast members are at a store by my house tonight, if I thought could stand being around a bunch of teenagers I would totally go!!!

15. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(tamaras @ Nov 10 2008, 02:07 PM) [snapback]1064484[/snapback]
    I can't wait!!!
    Well, I can wait...and will probably see it a week after it opens so that I don't have to fight the crowds ;)

The cast members are at a store by my house tonight, if I thought could stand being around a bunch of teenagers I would totally go!!!

I'd go, teenagers or not. I'm probably less mature then they are :)
    For those you anxiously awaiting the movie, Entertainment Weekly's new edition has a cover story on Twilight and the two stars. I think Kristin Stewart looks perfect as Bella. I was not too sure about Robert Patterson at first, but now I see him as Edward.

16. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(2girls2boys @ Nov 10 2008, 02:04 PM) [snapback]1064478[/snapback]
    Awesome thread!!

I got tickets for the midnight screening!!!!! Yeah baby...I have a huge poster of Edward in the upstairs hallway. The girls and I all share it and talk to it. (giggle giggle)

My dd also said the same thing about Rosalie not being pretty enough.

I can't wait though. The girls have tee shirts already that we got at Hot Topic, that store does not carry anything in my size so I am ordering one at cafepress.com.

Hey Gina, you may also want to check out the site that is linked from Stephanie's website. They have some short sleeve, long sleeve shirts and hoodies in adult sizes. They are really cute. I'm thinking of getting the one that says on the front:

I bet she's TOUGHER than that

And then on the back it says:

She runs with Vampires.

Here's the direct site to the store that is selling the shirts: http://www.twilightteez.com/home.php

17. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My mother wont go opening night because of the crowds but I convinced her to go on Sunday. We agreed to see it together since she stole my books and read them all! :) Then I will have to see it again with my bff, he loves vampires too and said he doesnt care if it is a little girl movie, he still wants to see it. ;)

18. marcy874

My friends and I are going Friday night, hopefully we can hear the movie over the teenage squealling! We figure if not, we'll just have to go again after the frenzy dies down. :D We are all sooo excited!!! Glad to see we aren't the only "older" ones thinking about getting shirts for the premiere. :lol:

19. Katiebelle

Katiebelle Well-Known Member

I got DH to read the books with me, and we're going on Friday and counting it as our anniversary date. (Nine years on the 20th!) I was really disappointed with Breaking Dawn because I expected so much from it, and I'm determined not to do that to myself with the movie. I go in with no expectations, except to be entertained.

I probably would not have gone to see the movie had I not read the books. I wasn't excited to read the books in the first place, as teenage angst/vampire love aren't in my top ten favorite genres in books or movies. Much to my surprise, I really did love the books.

The soap opera star suggestion for Rosalie is perfect! Nikki Reed is pretty, but she looks too nice to be Rosalie. Rosalie is colder in my mind.

I posted in the book thread about how I'm not loving RP's hair, but it's better than the first shots of what they did to Jasper.

Beware! Awful hair in the background!

Life would not have been easy for this kid in my high school.

20. double-or-nothing

Hey Katie,

Welcome to the Twilight thread!

Whoa, those pics WERE scary :eek: . I'm really excited about this movie but I too have finally decided to not have too much expectation about how good the movie will be compared to the books. I am (for the most part) happy with the casting of the movie. I'm just looking forward to the basic concept of the story coming to life and seeing how it plays out. It's a great story no matter what. Even if they changed lines here and there and it doesn't play out exactly like the book, I too think it will be entertaining. I'm looking forward to owning the dvd (unless it sux that badly) so that I can watch my favorite parts (which I'm sure there will be several of).

21. 2girls2boys

2girls2boys Well-Known Member

22. double-or-nothing

Yes, it does sometimes seem a bit flat, at least from some of the clips that I have seen. However, I saw this clip recently and was pleasantly satisfied with the scene. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCI6K3rhYUo

It actually shows more of the intensity that I was hoping for than I have seen from other clips. It's hard when you see the various trailers and TV spots. They put certain speaking parts of the movie over other scenes that appear to match but not to those who have read it and so it doesn't sometimes make sense. Even how they do the close up on her mouth when she says vampire doesn't appear in this clip to be an actual part of the real scene. Just done for the extra dramatic effect for the commercial.

This by far is one of the better clips I've seen. I actually get goosebumps when I see it. That is what I'm hoping for during the movie. I need to stop watching all these clips and trailers because I'm afraid it is going to ruin the overall experience for me but it is so hard to NOT watch them. :rolleyes:

23. marcy874

I do think that some of it seems a little flat and I'm sure during the movie, everyone will be going "thats not how its supposed to be...", but I'm still soo looking forward to it. The scene in the lunch room where she tells him her theories seems a little too serious to me. In the book, I took it that she was more embarassed to tell him her theories, not really scared of them and that they kind of laughed about it. I thought there should have been a little more humor there, but maybe its a little different when you see it in its entirety.

Here's a couple interviews the director did recently that are interesting:

director interview - can you imagine the fan backlash if the orginial script was made???

12 Deleted scenes on the DVD - the movie hasn't even come out yet and now I'm excited for the DVD!!

24. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(marcy874 @ Nov 12 2008, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1067511[/snapback]
    I do think that some of it seems a little flat and I'm sure during the movie, everyone will be going "thats not how its supposed to be...", but I'm still soo looking forward to it. The scene in the lunch room where she tells him her theories seems a little too serious to me. In the book, I took it that she was more embarassed to tell him her theories, not really scared of them and that they kind of laughed about it. I thought there should have been a little more humor there, but maybe its a little different when you see it in its entirety.

Here's a couple interviews the director did recently that are interesting:

director interview - can you imagine the fan backlash if the orginial script was made???

12 Deleted scenes on the DVD - the movie hasn't even come out yet and now I'm excited for the DVD!!

Very interesting articles. Thanks for sharing. It really does help someone who doesn't understand the world of film making to understand a little more why movies based on books rarely come out to exactly replicate the book. It's unfortunate that she had such a small budget and short schedule to get the movie done. I understood that they were going to have to change some of the scenes around. I mean, a lot of the dialogue scenes take place in the car. You can only sit for so long watching two people have a conversation in a car before you start to get a little squirmy in your seat. I understand that they had to combine scenes into more interesting sets and locations. When making a movie, you HAVE to make the film to pull in not just fans of the books but other people as well who need to leave feeling like it was a kick butt movie even though they don't know the true details and emotions and every word uttered in the story that makes it what it is...perfection.

25. Bichon999

Bichon999 Well-Known Member

I love Edward Cullen, so I obviously have to see this movie. The books affected me. I am now completely and in every way obsessed.

26. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

ok, is anyone else as big of a dork as I am & planning on downloading special songs to their ipod to listen to on the way to the movie??? :p I'm not sure about the entire soundtrack, but I'm going to look at it, as well as SM's playlist on her website (are they the same thing?)

And I totally think of Edward & Bella after he comes home from Italy whenever I hear Fall for You (Secondhand Serenade) ....the line, "breathe in so deep, breathe me in I'm yours to keep" just gets to me! :wub:

27. marcy874

QUOTE(naomi02 @ Nov 13 2008, 05:30 PM) [snapback]1069494[/snapback]
    ok, is anyone else as big of a dork as I am & planning on downloading special songs to their ipod to listen to on the way to the movie??? :p I'm not sure about the entire soundtrack, but I'm going to look at it, as well as SM's playlist on her website (are they the same thing?)

And I totally think of Edward & Bella after he comes home from Italy whenever I hear Fall for You (Secondhand Serenade) ....the line, "breathe in so deep, breathe me in I'm yours to keep" just gets to me! :wub:

My friend got the soundtrack this week, so I'm sure we'll listen to it on the way to the movie!

Naomi, that is a perfect Edward & Bella song, especially for after Italy! I've never heard it, but I loved it.

28. double-or-nothing

I saw an interview today that said that the Twilight album has been flying off the shelves. It has been the number one selling album since its release. They say that it is unusual for an album to be such a hit BEFORE the movie has even come out. Also, my girlfriend said that she has been going crazy looking for books 3 and 4. Two seperate Walmarts were sold out as was Target. She finally ended up at Borders and her dh ran into to get it for her but there weren't any on the shelf. The worker had to go to the stock room to get the books and her dh told her that almost every person on line had a book from the Twilight series!! I'm thinking that people have started seeing the commercial spots and interviews and other tv spots about the movie on various shows (like ET) and the interest has been increasing exponentially. That could be a really good thing. If they make over $150 million dollars on this movie, the second and third books will be made into movies. Hopefully Catherine will have a bigger budget which will be greatly needed for the special effects of the werewolves. Anyway, I'm just really excited about it all and wanted to share.

29. Bichon999

I wouldn't worry, My friend just told me she tried to get tickets to the Twilight movie, and there were 100 showings of it completely sold out! :huh: :blink: :umm: :pardon: :excl: woops I got carried away :BDH: They'll have plenty of money for the next two movies, and millions left over.

30. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(Evelyn @ Nov 14 2008, 07:06 PM) [snapback]1070897[/snapback]
    I wouldn't worry, My friend just told me she tried to get tickets to the Twilight movie, and there were 100 showings of it completely sold out! :huh: :blink: :umm: :pardon: :excl: woops I got carried away :BDH: They'll have plenty of money for the next two movies, and millions left over.

Wait a minute...what do you mean 100 showings sold out??? 100 showings for various shows in several theaters or 100 shows in just one theater? (if that's possilbe?) Which ever the case...WOW!!! GO TWILIGHT! GO TWILIGHT! :banana:

31. LaRae81

LaRae81 Well-Known Member

Not siked about the actress for Rosalie either. I had soemone much different pictured. Not that the actress is not pretty. But she just doesn't fit what was in my head.

But everyone else seems perfect, especially Edward and Bella. Couldn't be more of exactly what was in my head.

I am soooooo siked about the movies. At least the actors are all adults so they shouldn't really "age" or anything.

32. double-or-nothing

QUOTE(LaRae81 @ Nov 14 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]1070931[/snapback]
    Not siked about the actress for Rosalie either. I had soemone much different pictured. Not that the actress is not pretty. But she just doesn't fit what was in my head.

But everyone else seems perfect, especially Edward and Bella. Couldn't be more of exactly what was in my head.

I am soooooo siked about the movies. At least the actors are all adults so they shouldn't really "age" or anything.

I'm guessing they'll know after the first couple of weekends if they will have the go ahead to start filming New Moon and Eclipse (maybe even after the first weekend? :huh: :D ). I read that if she is able to make them that they will film the two movies simultaneously to keep it more budget friendly and to avoid the "aging" thing.

33. Bichon999

Aging is a problem, Edward cannot look older... Just film it quickly, and don't forget about Breaking Dawn, too. It's all that they can do.

34. Katiebelle

Katiebelle Well-Known Member

I found a funny spoof of what the dialog in the movie might be like here.

35. Bichon999

QUOTE(Katiebelle @ Nov 15 2008, 02:05 PM) [snapback]1071780[/snapback]
    I found a funny spoof of what the dialog in the movie might be like here.

I loved the pictures!!! Thank you!!!