Twin girls in the 5-11 age group, have they asked for their own room?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Babies4Susan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I am just curious if you have twin girls, are they still sharing a room or not? If not, did they want separate rooms? When did they ask for them?

I have one who is starting to verbalize the desire to have her own room, which we have two extra bedrooms, so it's completely do-able. I just didn't think they'd want that this soon, and I don't think her sister is nearly as eager for her own room. And our two extra bedrooms are the smallest two, so I think we may have to think about buying loft beds to make them roomy enough to keep some of their toys in there (which is one of the reasons she says she wants her own room). Right now they have a larger bedroom that fits two twin beds, two dressers, and a nightstand just fine, but not much room for any of their toys in there, so we keep those in one of the extra bedrooms.

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Ours are still together, but they're also sharing with their older sister, and the boys are all in another room. We have another bedroom, that we're about ready to give to our oldest for her own (it's the playroom now). But I think there's a lot of value in sharing a room and learning how to negotiate space, working together, etc. With a large family, it would be a long time until they had the option of having their own room. There's a spare bed in the playroom, so sometimes one of them will ask to sleep in there. But it's pretty rare. Most of the time, they're asking their big sister if they can sleep in her double bed with her.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We don't have the extra space do they are in the same room. No issues about wanting to be seperated though

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My sister and I asked for our own room at 7. We were in a huge room with 3 levels, we were sleeping on the bottom part, the second part in the middle was an office, and the top part was only used as a guest room (and overlooking the bottom part). We asked our parents if we could make it my sister's room. So I guess we were still technically in the same room (having to be careful with noise etc), but we had our individual space.

I think it's pretty normal for kids who share a room to want their own room around this age, when they know there is a spare room available. I don't think it's much of an issue when kids know that there's no other option than sharing a room.

5. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

In kinder one of my boys expressed the desire for his own space. We had the room, so we did it for a while. Then we got a race car track and they decided they wanted to share a room and set up the track in the other room and go back to sharing. We did not move all that much the first time though and both rooms are small. Now they share a room but their dressers and toys are in the 2nd room. Basically the top level of our house belongs to them. :)

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We dont have the room-- but they have not expressed the desire either!

We have a bunkbed, a dresser, a book case, and a small toy shelf for the girls room. Other toys are in the basement or in the living room. We store a lot of toys in small bins and bring them out to play and then put them away for the floor space.

We only have 940 sq feet so space is limited!

When we had a bigger living space- they still shared (and did not request seperation). We had a 'study' area we made into a playroom. It worked well.

My girls tend to do quiet play in their room (books-reading, dress-up, and/or small floor toys). Dancing, legos, and large elaborate set-ups (little pet shop stuff or barbie houses) take over the living room!

They are not allowed to have art supplies anywhere but kitchen table! (other than paper/pencil-which can be anywhere)

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Our kids didn't exactly ask for their own rooms, but we're renovating our house partly so they can have that. In the meantime, we're in a rental house where they do have their own rooms for the first time ever. Amy was psyched about it right away -- Sarah took a little longer to warm up to the idea.

Other than the issue of how to divide up the storage (since nearly all their toys & clothes are shared -- we still keep a lot of stuff in the living/dining rooms though), I have loved having them separated. They each have a private space when they either want to be alone or get sent to their rooms for a cooling-off period. :ibiggrin: And I think it's easier for them to fall asleep since they can do it at their own pace -- plus Amy doesn't wake Sarah up every morning at 6:00 (Sarah is not a morning person) anymore.

We did notice a slight increase in nighttime fears, but that also comes with the age.

8. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

My older girls asked for their own room at around 7 as well. The spare room was much smaller than the room they shared. They decided (for themselves) that Bryony would move into the small room and that most of the toys would stay in Alyssa's room and it would still be a shared play space. The wardrobe also stayed in the big room, B basically had just her single bed a small bookcase and desk. There is really no other floor space but she's perfectly happy with it.

Just in the last couple of months they have redecorated both bedrooms. Bryony now has a wardrobe instead of a bookcase so the clothes can be split more equally (she has shelves on the wall above her bed for her books).

Naomi and Luke are still sharing a room quite happily at 8 1/2, they haven't asked to split even though they do have the space to.

9. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Mine got their own rooms when we moved in to this house. They were almost 3 years old.

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

One of my chicks just started asking. It sort of made me sad because I thought it would last longer! I'm not totally sure if she's asking because it's how my nieces live (ages 13 and 11) or if she truly wants to be alone because her sister is the last asleep and the first awake. We do have a 3rd bedroom, BUT, there's work to be done in there before one of them moves in there and honestly, I'm just not ready to do over a room, get another dresser, divide toys, etc. etc. etc. right now. I told her we'll talk about it again when they're 8 and she was totally fine with the answer.

11. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

We live in a four bedroom house. Our oldest daughter has her own room since she is 13. Our one and ony son has his own room because he is a boy. My girls share. They haven't asked for their own room yet, but until the oldest moves out the little girls are just going to have to share. I'm sure the day my oldest moves out we'll be rearranging rooms! ;)

12. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Mine did ask awhile ago, but since they get along better, I haven't heard that request for awhile now. Not that we had any spare rooms, because all the bedrooms are occupied. But, if I did have the room, I'd absolutely let them separate.

13. momoftwoangels

momoftwoangels Well-Known Member

The girls share a room , now but have ask for separate rooms and I will eventually let them but I can promise you they will end up staying in each others room, lol

14. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Ours are still together. We just recently began tossing around the idea of another home which would have plenty of room for them to have their own room. While they both expressed the idea of wanting to decorate and have their own room, they aren't ready to sleep alone, so we probably won't separate until they can actually sleep alone.

15. nessas3girlsandtwinboys

nessas3girlsandtwinboys Well-Known Member

My boys are 7.5 and they've never requested separate rooms. Heck my boys have their own beds and still choose to sleep together in one bed lol plus we don't have any extra rooms!

16. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

An update to this post. We've started the move. We painted L's room first, and now her bedroom furniture is all moved in and we're almost settled and decorated with that room. Next up is G's room. She's sleeping alone in their old shared bedroom for the time being though. The first night sleeping on their own was great. The second night was last night, and we had a howling wind all night long (yes, Sandy is even affecting Michigan somewhat) so L was nervous about the wind and we had to move in my clock radio to her room so she had some noise to cover the wind. I was more nervous that G wasn't ready to sleep solo, but she's a champ so far! She keeps hinting that she'd like to keep the big room all for herself. :)

It's a tight fit, as we decided just to use their existing furniture/twin beds, instead of investing in loft beds. But with the bigger room opening up to be their shared arts and crafts/toyroom, I think it will work out just fine. They are very excited about having their own space!