twins being seperated in school

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Kathleen White, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Kathleen White

Kathleen White New Member

Hello to everyone out there. I am a mother of twin fraternal girls that just turned 6 in December. My problem is they are in kindergarten for 6 hours a day. We have a full day program here. Last year in pre-k they were in the same class and went to school every day but only for 2.5 hours a day. This year they were put into
    seperate classes and are going for 6 hours a day. (which I think is
    to long for kindergarten.) My daughter Olivia has just recently started with not wanting to go, she says she misses me (mommy) and her twin sister Samantha. She cries while getting ready, she cries in line to go into school, she cries several times during the day at school. This has been going on now for apx. 1 month. Any suggestions?? I just called the teacher today for some advice.

2. Kathleen White

Kathleen White New Member

Hello to everyone out there. I am a mother of twin fraternal girls that just turned 6 in December. My problem is they are in kindergarten for 6 hours a day. We have a full day program here. Last year in pre-k they were in the same class and went to school every day but only for 2.5 hours a day. This year they were put into
    seperate classes and are going for 6 hours a day. (which I think is
    to long for kindergarten.) My daughter Olivia has just recently started with not wanting to go, she says she misses me (mommy) and her twin sister Samantha. She cries while getting ready, she cries in line to go into school, she cries several times during the day at school. This has been going on now for apx. 1 month. Any suggestions?? I just called the teacher today for some advice.

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I would suggest strongly that you talk with both their teachers and see if they can't help in some way to help them throughout the day. I know my boys missed each other a bit during the day. But their teachers always made sure they saw each other periodically, whether it be on the playground or at lunch, etc. So this might be the place to start. A certain amount of separation anxiety is normal.

4. ninagia

ninagia Active Member

Hi. My girls are only 18 months so I still have a long ways to go before they go to school. I went on the Twins magazine website and on it you can download a sample issue. Anyway they had a article in there about separating twins when they go to school. I don't remember what state this took place in but they passed a bill for mothers of multiples to have the right to request that the school place twins in the same class. I hope this helps you.

5. boogerkw

boogerkw Well-Known Member

If the twins are fraternal I see no reason why they can't be in the same class and at that age I think Identicals should be allowed in the same classes. Now when they get into High School and get into the playing tricks on teachers I don't think Identicals should be in the same class, but like I said Fraternals should be no big deal.

6. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

My boys are 7 and in the first grade, this is the first year that they've been separated. We just moved to Kansas from Florida and in Florida, they were in the same class...the school left it up to the parents to decide if they wanted their multiples separated. Well, this school separates ALL multiples, I even tried to argue with the principle but he wasn't havin' it! At first, they cried and didn't want to go to school but I made sure and told their teachers that they'd never been separated. They see each other throughout the day at lunch and recess and maybe in the hallway going to art or spanish or music or something like that. They're both doing SOOOOOOO well by being separated that I almost (not quite but almost) wish that I'd separated them earlier. (They'd been at their school in Florida since they were 3yrs old, in the pre-k classes.) We've only been at this school for almost two months and some days, they do still tell me that they miss their brother during the day. One day, Isiah's teacher let him draw a picture for Michael with a note on it...it was really cute, maybe your girls's teachers can help them by letting them do that. It will get better, it will just take them some time to get used to being apart.

7. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

The transition to all-day school can be tough for any child, twin or not.

When my oldest son was in Kindergarten, the district offered half-day. He (and I!) had no problem with that transition. He loved school and looked forward to it everyday.

First grade was a different story. He had never been away from me for a full day, and it took weeks for him to settle in. He would be sad heading for school, and near tears when I picked him up. He'd say, "Mom, I cried a little in class today. I was looking out the window and thinking of you and I really missed you a lot!" It broke my heart! But after a while, he got into the swing of things. And I started helping in class a couple times a month, which made him feel better and was something he was able to look forward to.

I think it would be a great idea to talk to the teacher to see what you can do to help your daughter with the transition. Hang in there!

8. 2rosebuds

2rosebuds Well-Known Member

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I do find it interesting that while there are a number of people who were adament about keeping their kids together, when they did separate say how well the kids are doing, and some have said they wish it were done sooner. I don't recall few, if anyone, saying that they separated and wanted them put back together.

I think as parents sometimes we project how we think we would feel, without realizing how the kids actually feel about it. Also, if you ask a 5 year old who has never been apart from his/her sibling if they want to be together, it makes sense that they would say yes--they don't know anything else. But as Amy said in the other thread, no one else going to K gets a buddy to start the year.