Twins Cry

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rinaownsu, Jul 17, 2014.

1. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

Today was my first day alone with my 2 month old twins. As I have mentioned in previous posts, they both have GERD and are really fussy. I've had to let them scream & cry a few times when im attending the other. I have always believed this is bad to do for any infant especially so small but I have no other choice! Do moms of twins ever get used to the crying and having to let one cry out? Does anyone know how this may affect them in the long run?

I feel so guilty ;(

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They won't be any worse for the wear in the long run; they have a mom who is doing her best! That's all anyone can do. I wouldn't say hearing your infants cry gets easier, but you will get better at managing it and you'll figure out lots of ways to do two things at once. But above all else, be forgiving of yourself.. that's the biggest lesson I wish I had learned in the early days.

1 person likes this.
  3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also found it helpful to acknowledge my babies and their feelings out loud while taking care of their sibling (ex "You're very upset. You want me to hold you now. [deep breath] I'm changing your sister's diaper and will be with you soon.") It feels really strange at first but then it became second nature and really helped me stay calm and focused so I could do my best which, as Jen said, is all anyone can do. :hug:

I got the idea from Janet Lansbury's RIE blog if you'd like more info: http://www.janetlansbury.com/

4. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

The babies get used to it too.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

You are doing your best. So please don't feel guilty. And you are not letting them CIO: you are present while they are crying, you can talk or sing to them while attending to the other, the babies sense this and it makes a big difference.