twins dropped growth percentile at 32 weeks- kind of concerned

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mellie03, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

I had my latest growth u/s Monday (31w5d). Both twins dropped in percentiles, B more than A. At my 27 week scan, they were both in the 55-65%, now A is right at 50% (3lbs 14 oz) but B is down closer to 35-40% (3 lb 9 oz). The peri didn't seem concerned but I still am. I keep seeing all the ladies on the board talking about their babies weighing 4.5 lbs and more at this point.

Since I have placenta previa and have had bleeding, I'm having a c/s by 36 weeks if not sooner. Now I'm stressing that they may be smaller than expected at birth as well.

Just looking for reassurance that this percentile drop isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it in my head....thanks everyone.

Mellie
    DD 2 years old
    32 weeks b/g twins!

2. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

I had my latest growth u/s Monday (31w5d). Both twins dropped in percentiles, B more than A. At my 27 week scan, they were both in the 55-65%, now A is right at 50% (3lbs 14 oz) but B is down closer to 35-40% (3 lb 9 oz). The peri didn't seem concerned but I still am. I keep seeing all the ladies on the board talking about their babies weighing 4.5 lbs and more at this point.

Since I have placenta previa and have had bleeding, I'm having a c/s by 36 weeks if not sooner. Now I'm stressing that they may be smaller than expected at birth as well.

Just looking for reassurance that this percentile drop isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it in my head....thanks everyone.

Mellie
    DD 2 years old
    32 weeks b/g twins!

3. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

those are still good percentiles, my Boy (baby B) is IUGR and at the last measurement was 3 or 4th percentile. She didn't tell us the weights...we get measured again tomorrow (35 weeks) - but i doubt she will tell us the weights.

I think your percentiles sound good....4 weeks should be a good amount of time to put at least a pound or more on your babies.

Try to rest - it helps with the flow of nutrients and try not to stress.

Miriam

4. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

I agree with Miriam - those percentiles seem pretty darn good. Mine were in the 3rd and 10th at 26 weeks, then moved to the 4th and 24th at 30 weeks - so I think babies can jump all over the place. My little Baby B is also IUGR - I get a full growth scan Friday and I'm a little nervous, too. But for you, I bet your little ones are doing fine. You might be surprised as I have heard that somewhere around the 32nd - 35th weeks, they can really pack on the weight! And if there is one thing I have learned from this forum, as well as other mom's, books and doctors - rarely do the babies stats stay completely consistent througout the entire pregnancy.

Keep us posted!

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 31.6 (almost exactly where you are at) at almost the exact same weights!

Baby A was 3.13
    Baby B was 3.8

They were not too concerened wither, even though they were bigger at my earlier u/s. Remember u/s can be off by as much as a lb!

They sound good to me! My girls are doing great over a year later and are still tall and skinny, but very healthy ( you can see pics at the website below)!

KC

7. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Size is not as important as gestation for their maturity. My smaller baby was only 3 lb 15 oz at birth at 35.3 weeks and she was healthy. Your babies are still measuring quite well and it is possible that the discrepancy in percentiles is due to the fact that they are getting bigger and it is more difficult to get accurate measurements now. If there continues to be a decline at your next u/s, then I would ask your peri about it but I wouldn't be worried at this point.

8. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

From what I understand (I have weekly growth scans and one baby with IUGR) it's nothing to worry about unless they are greater than 20% discordant or one or both is in less than the 10th percentile. Even then, it can be ok as long as they maintain the same growth curve and don't stop growing.

Try not to worry! [​IMG]

9. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Remember these are just ESTIMATES of their weight. It can change depending upon different technicians, where the babies are laying if the measurements are accurate. They said my boys were 6-7+ lbs at 35 weeks scan. They came 5 days later and were 5.5 and almost 6 lbs. And I did not gain any weight from weeks 28-33 - but the boys did!

Hang in there. If your peri is not concerned I would try not to worry [​IMG]

10. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

My peri told me that twins measure comparably to singletons in terms of size percentiles until 32 weeks, when they are usually filling up your uterus and their growth percentiles fall behind that of singletons. So I think that sounds just right that they're falling a bit behind at this point. Hope you don't worry too much.

11. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I agree with what Miriam said and other posts; also that gestation is more important. My babies dropped to the 0th%tile and 12th%tile when we made the decision to deliver; they're in NICU with babies literally 3x their weight, but my babies are much healthier because we made it to 35 wks. So try not to worry too much, especially if you and DH are smaller people! It might just be genetics at work.

12. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

Thaks for your replies. I realize my concerns are not as serious as you ladies who have IUGR babies. It's just that I've had a very complicated pregnancy so far (CPP, hospitalized for bleeding and preterm labor, bedrest,heart problems, bad nuchal scans and much more that I won't bore you all with!) and the babies' growth seemed to be the only thing actually going well for me. I was worried now that was going south too, you know?

Again, thanks for your replies. Good luck to everyone,

Mellie
    DD 2 years old
    32w3d b/g twins! [​IMG]