twins sleeping together or not?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by browneyedgirl, May 3, 2010.

1. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

we had planned on having the babies in the same crib in our room while they are little. I took a multiples class, and the teacher said that the new recommendations are to separate them, because of the SIDS risk. I feel like this is so un natural, they've been so close for nine months! However, I would never want to put them in danger.

2. citizenpelikan

citizenpelikan Well-Known Member

I've never heard that about them sleeping together being a sids risk. We have a huge crib and rather than separate them I'm just putting one at the head of the crib and the other at the foot.

3. bethst

bethst Active Member

Hi there.. My girls (id) are now 6 months old. From the night we came home from the hosp, they slept together.. we just recently put them in separate cribs because now they can roll over and were kicking each other at night and waking each other up.. one of my lo's likes to be covered and one kicks off covers. go with what works for you, and the babbies. the nurse at the hospital where i delivered told me this.. *On the record* you should put them in separate cribs.. *now off the record* studies have been done with twins and co-bedding for years and found that twins do better when they are put together in the same bed when they are young. in the NICU, we will even place twin sibblings next to each other to "visit" if they are not very sick, as they discovered that they did better, and were even able to maintain their body temps for a bit longer. ANd to tell you the truth, My twins slept in bed with me for the first month..my DH slept on the couch. they got so cold so easily it was easier to let them sleep there. I know everyone has there own opinion on this, but that is what we did. Good luck, and do what makes you feel comfortable and secure... DONT let other people bully you into doing what you dont want to do, and dont let them make you feel bad, or anything else.. they are your babbies..

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

There are, and IMO will always be, differing opinions on this. Some pediatricians say do, some say don't. We did, and told our pedi, and he was fine with it. My girls had trouble keeping their body temps up when we brought them home, so we swaddled them separately and put them in the crib together. We also had those little sleep positioners that we laid them in, so they couldn't move really. We left them like this until they could turn over, then we separated.

5. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be a problem until they are moving around quite a bit and/or rolling over. I plan on putting them in the same bed unless/until they start bothering each other or rolling over.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A&R shared until they started rolling over on top of each other. That was about 6 months. I actually brought in a large long rolly-pillow that velcroed to the slats to separate them for a few more weeks until we got the 2nd crib assembled.

7. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Ours sleep in the same crib. And, bc they have good neck strength, they even sleep on their belly from time to time. Do what works for them and you.

8. HettyA

HettyA Well-Known Member

We don't plan on putting our twins together. So we bought separate cribs. My cousin who has had twins said she tried them together for the first little while and they ended up just bugging one another and did fine apart. It think it will mainly depend on them and how they react to each other but I have never heard of it being a danger for them to be together either.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two slept in the same crib until we moved them to their big beds at age 2. They always slept better together & we never had any problems. I will still often find them in the same bed when I check on them at night. There are opinions on both sides of the issue, you just have to decide what is best for you & your family!

10. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

My two slept in the same pack n' play beside my bed for a little over six months. They were tightly swaddled and in a sleep positioner, so I'm not seeing how there is any danger in that - they couldn't move! When they were starting to break out of their swaddle, I finally moved them to their own crib. They are side by side, but not in the same one. They have never bothered each other, either while they were together, or in their cribs by each other. As PP everyone is different, do what works for you and you are comofortable with.

11. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

My guys are in the same crib and are 5 months old.. I put them to bed at opposite ends of the crib and most nights when I go in to look at them before I head to bed they have turned themselves around and migrated to the middle of the crib to be near each other.. Or one of them has made his way all the way to the other end to be near his brother.. I don't plan to seperate them unless they start to bug each other, because as of now they LOVE being together! Good luck, do what works best for you!

12. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

The only other thing you need to consider is that your twins may not do well sleeping together. We tried with my boy/girl frats, and they did not do well together at all. My ds somehow managed to pull his sister's hair from the very beginning. And from the time she was an infant she has liked her space...my theory is that she felt squished in the womb from him sitting on her! LOL. But seriously, she never slept well with him nearby.

13. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

thanks everyone! I'll be sure to ask the pedi and see what they say.

14. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Ours have slept together since they came home from the hospital and still do - however, we just bought a second crib and will be separating them when we get it assembled because they are rolling around and kicking each other too much. It was great while it lasted!!

15. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

My twins are currently sleeping in the same crib. We swaddle them separately, and they can't move yet, so there's essentially no chance of them even touching each other. We'll move them when they start rolling.

16. newboygirltwinsmom

newboygirltwinsmom Well-Known Member

My boy/girl twins slept together till they were 2, but I frequently found them togeher till they were 4. My boys are still sleeping together at 15 months. It has worked well for our family and there has been no problems. We will seperate the boys at 2 as well, but they will continue to share a room (probably bed as well if they are like the other set).

Good luck with your decision.

17. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

Mine slept the first month and we stopped. One would consistently wet through in the night and I would need to change the bedding. After waking a sleeping baby a few too many times to change sheets, we separated them.

18. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine shared a crib until they were 6 months old, I also put them in swaddlers separately in the crib. We did not separate them until they started getting too big to share a crib comfortably.

19. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

When we first brought our boys home, we had them in two bassinets, then cribs. It took a few months of no sleep before we realized that we were pissing them off. We finally put them in the same crib, which is almost the size of a twin bed and :lol: aahhhhh, sleep. This is what worked for us. I would try both ways, whichever works. We were so exhausted we reaslly didn't care. They're 2 now sleeping fine on their own.

20. luvmytwins08

luvmytwins08 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my two cents in too! My twins slept with each other in boppy loungers in a pack n play from day I until about 4 months old when they decided to roll over onto each other! Then we had two cribs in the same room. They get used to sleeping with each other and makes it a lot easier when they are older. I totally reccommend getting the bobby loungers. We used these a lot!! http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=27032
    also diapers.com is having a sale! use my code "Diapers4Da" to get $10 off :) and 10% off with free overnight shipping!